Lymphedema Community
Lymphedema problems

WELCOME TO THE LYMPHEDEMA COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to Lymphedema, Lymph Abnormalities, Primary/Secondary Lymphedema, Cellulitis, Lipedema, and any other problems or question members may have concerning Lymphatic matters.

Lymphedema problems

I have Lymphedema, my left leg swells a lot. I have seen doctors and they all tell me that there isn't anything they can do for me. They told me to take care of my leg, wear suport stocking at all times, stay off my feet as much as possible, more less deal with the problem. Is there anyone with the same problem out there that knows something about Lymphedema and how to treat it?? My life has changed ever since I got Lymphedema but I don't know anymore who to turn to for help.

Please help, and thank you!
Liliana
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The treatment of lymphedema includes- addressing the underlying cause, if possible, and reducing the swelling. Medications have not been shown to be effective in treating lymphedema. Therefore, treatment options for lymphedema including the following:
Exercises: Various exercises can be performed to move lymphatic fluid into the lymphatic channels through muscle contraction.
Garments and Bandages: Wearing garments or bandages that provide compression over the site of lymphedema can push lymphatic fluid into the lymphatic system and prevent further accumulation of fluid.
Massage: massage therapy is another method to apply pressure and propel lymph fluid into lymphatic channels.
Lymphedema Pumps: are devices which, when worn, inflate and press on the surface of the swelling to move lymphatic fluid.
As a last resort, lymphedema may be treated surgically through a variety of techniques that attempt to remove lymphedema and prevent new fluid collection. A Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT) is a trained professional to perform Manual Lymph Drainage as an essential part of lymphedema treatment. An esthetician is trained in lymph drainage massage and other specialized techniques as a symptomatic treatment. Please consult a general surgeon for the management of the symptoms. Hope this  helps you. Take care and regards!

hi,

I have lymphedema in my left leg as well. I have lost about 130 lbs. since 2010 without surgery. The first 30 lbs. came off with the help of short stretch compression bandages and my lymphedema therapist. Then I graduated into stockings and was on my home. I streamlined my diet, having honey wheat toast with 1 tsp. of peanut butter for breakfast and lunch and a normal dinner with no seconds and cutting back on my diet dr. pepper. I got a back massager and a foot massager from Bed Bath and Beyond. I go biking on my three wheel bike or use my exercise bike at home for at least 30 minutes a day. It took time, but I didn't give up and I am back to a size 14/16, where I was before I had a massive weight gain. I will never stop biking. And I just got a balance ball which seems helpful. Don't give up!