Lymphedema Community
Lymphedema surgery

WELCOME TO THE LYMPHEDEMA COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to Lymphedema, Lymph Abnormalities, Primary/Secondary Lymphedema, Cellulitis, Lipedema, and any other problems or question members may have concerning Lymphatic matters.

Lymphedema surgery

My sister has a massive trunk lymphedema, unusual yes, but the tests prove that is what it is.  She is trying to put the surgery off until November, but I am wondering if that isn't causing other problems as it now has a large, not healing, wound.   Also, can we do anything about our old family doctor being unwilling to treat her or send her to a specialist.  In the four years of fighting with our doctor who wouldn't believe it was lymphdema it grew to these massive proportions.  I am really concerned for her general health at this point, but we have limited funds and her insurance is going to fight this.  How can I help her?  I know this is an unusual location for lymphedema, but how come we figured it out, but her doctor couldn't or wouldn't.  And then told her to lose weight first, when it is hard for her to even walk now with this monsterous thing.  And am I crazy to be concerned it could be genetic?  I don't really know much about lymphedema from a medical perspective.