Lymphedema Community
Opposite effect of diuretics

WELCOME TO THE LYMPHEDEMA COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to Lymphedema, Lymph Abnormalities, Primary/Secondary Lymphedema, Cellulitis, Lipedema, and any other problems or question members may have concerning Lymphatic matters.

Opposite effect of diuretics

My mother is 84 years old.  She has had lymphodemia for most of her adult life.  At the present time her legs are so swollen that she is unable to wear regular clothes; hasn't worn shoes for years.  She probably weighs about 275 lbs of which 50 to 75 lbs is water.  She cannot walk and is confined to bed or wheel chair.  She is on lasix and more medication than I can list here.  In talking to someone who's mother had similar situation I found that there is such a thing as diuretics actually causing the fluid buildup.  This person's mother was taken off the diuretics and put on some other drug that they couldn't recall but her mother is now medication free, is no longer retaining fluid.    My mother's ankles are 19" in circumference and weeping badly.  Is there any information you can provide?

Thank you!