Lymphedema Community
Pain years after having groin lyphm node removal

WELCOME TO THE LYMPHEDEMA COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to Lymphedema, Lymph Abnormalities, Primary/Secondary Lymphedema, Cellulitis, Lipedema, and any other problems or question members may have concerning Lymphatic matters.

I had 12 lymph nodes removed from groin area 15 years ago for malignant melanoma. Leg and foot would swell but pain was not to much. In 2011 had bad bacteria infection in that leg. Pain in leg is now at a 8-10 most days, inner thigh, if I am off leg pain will go down to 5-6 pain level. Have been to different doctors, know one has answer as to why this pain is so bad now after so many years. I also have bad back, and had fusion on neck 2 years ago. I asked doctors if any of this could relate to  it, and they said no. Swelling, and pain constant. I was on many medications to clear up infection, and was told infection cleared, why still the pain in my leg? I take pain medication for my back and neck, and sometimes it doesn't even touch the pain. Any idea's. Thank you.
Hi!

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. Prolonged sitting can cause venous pooling in patients with lymph node removal and possibility of developing lymphedema (even years after surgery).  Venous pooling can result in deep vein clots, thrombophlebitis, and DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Pelvic tumors and bone tumors too can cause one side swelling. Eczema, cellulitis (infection under the skin) and secondary venous pooling is also possible. Another cause is Filariasis, especially if you live or have been to a place with tropical climate. Please discuss this with your doctor.  Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.