Lymphedema Community
Swollen epitrochlear nodes

WELCOME TO THE LYMPHEDEMA COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to Lymphedema, Lymph Abnormalities, Primary/Secondary Lymphedema, Cellulitis, Lipedema, and any other problems or question members may have concerning Lymphatic matters.

Swollen epitrochlear nodes

In both arms I have two very hard lumps just above my elbows that I assume are the epitrochlear nodes. I first noticed them about two years ago. They are usually painless but can "flare up" periodically where they become tender. I first noticed them when I developed an ulnar neuropathy that has left my 3rd and 4th fingers numb. I spoke to my physician about it and he was not concerned but could offer no explanation for why they became and remain swollen. Nodes in neck and admits are normal. Probably unrelated but I also have a lump in the inside of my my left forearm that has increased in size and is becoming painful. Would very much like an explanation and some piece of mind.
Hi!
This is probably the swelling of the bursa of elbow or bursitis. Sudden swelling is the result of a trauma or infection. Infection causes the swelling to become inflamed and tender. Generally following the RICE treatment is enough—Rest the elbow, Ice-apply ice pack, Compress with the help of an elastic bandage and Elevate the elbow above the level of your heart. If this does not help then cortisone injections are given. Surgery to remove the bursa is the last choice. Please consult an orthopedic specialist.
If the swellings are epitrochlear lymph nodes then this is usually a sign of localized infections or allergy or dermatitis, lymphoma, sarcoidosis, secondary syphilis. Do discuss with your PCP if any of these conditions are clinically possible in your case. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.