Lymphedema Community
leg lymphedema

WELCOME TO THE LYMPHEDEMA COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to Lymphedema, Lymph Abnormalities, Primary/Secondary Lymphedema, Cellulitis, Lipedema, and any other problems or question members may have concerning Lymphatic matters.

leg lymphedema

I have leg lymphedema and i was wondering does that have something to do with me NOT being able to get pregnant? Me and my husband been trying for 10 years and still not able.
Hi!
Usually leg lymphedema which is persistent is due to a parasitic disease called filariasis. It may also be tuberculosis. In both the cases, persistent infection can make it difficult to conceive. Deep vein thrombosis is another cause of lymphedema and if this is due to a clotting disorder then yes, it is difficult to conceive.
The inability to conceive may not be related to lymphedema. Either ways, it is important to undergo a series of investigations and get this sorted out. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you. I would try to get myself checked soon
Hi, I have been going is circles trying to get a conclusive cause for the lymphedema I have been diagnosed with.

It began during a period of severe stress; seems instantly/visibly exacerbated at these times. I took tons of picturs maybe I will post for those who can stomach it. My PT and doctors were horrified at the sight.

I have a longstanding left foot crush injury -- almost lost my left leg in the 90's due to the severity of the injury, loss of heelbone and 3 joints, and that foot and leg become first and most visibly affected.

I also had issues with ovarian cysts, fibroids, and endometriosis -- the endo was discovered during surgery in 2009 to remove the fibroids -- and endometriosis which usually goes undiagnosed is a major contributor to infertility. It  may have something to do with the lymphedema I now experience years after surgery, as it is normal for scar tissue to grow back within six months to a year. Endometriosis I think can affect lymphnodes as there are many deep inside the pelvis.

I have diagnostic surgery scheduled to get to the root cause. Days prior to going under the knife, surgery was postponed due to stress as the doctor was concerned it could inhibit healing, and general outcome of surgery.

Plus I have a connective tissue disorder, recently diagnosed conclusively (except precicely which gene is still not certain). It's a genetic issue that's a likely contributor the my array of seemingly separate, but interrelated, health problems.

I should know more after my surgery what is affecting the severe bouts of lymphedema (pitted) lower leg swelling and pockets of fluid in pelvic/back are which are where I experience chronic severe pain.

CT scans and several ultrasounds have confirmed hemmorhagic cysts (ovarian cycts that burst). I am not sure if these issues are related to the pockets of fluid in the low back and pelvic area, but some were shown to be traveling down my hip, presumably to legs; the scan only covered pelvic, so who knows.

I will be undergoing diagnostic abdominal surgery specifically to "rule out cancer" in pelvic area soon, and see how things have evolved since the 2009 myomectomy and endo removal. Part of my delay on that besides stress is that I am not sure I want to know, if worst case scenario is what it turns out.  I am not sure if I can handle that.

I would advise finding out if endometriosis is an issue. That can affect fertility. Surgery can provide a "window of opportunity" to become pregnant before things scar over again.