Lymphedema Community
undiagnosd seccondary lymphedema of the left leg

WELCOME TO THE LYMPHEDEMA COMMUNITY: This patient support community is for discussions relating to Lymphedema, Lymph Abnormalities, Primary/Secondary Lymphedema, Cellulitis, Lipedema, and any other problems or question members may have concerning Lymphatic matters.

As of march 2004, i began developing a very mysterious case of Unilateral Lymphedema of my left leg.  The condition began without explanation, or provocation, that is, no DVT, no Lymphoma, it is unlikely that I am a carrier of the Filariasis Larvae, no family history, no trauma to the inguinal nodes, no infection, no pain, just edema.  The conditions spans from the rail of the inguinal nodes, to just above the inguinal nodes down to my ankle and toes.  Brfore this condition i was a very different person than i am today.  I hiked and went backcountry ski touring, rock climbed and rode mountain bike, i was an avid backpacker, and into orienteering throughout the mountain west, i dated beautiful and exciting girls, and was myself a very energetic leader, and an attractive man.  Now, just a few years later and only 26 years old, I lumber up a flight of stairs, have suffered through sweltering summers in long pants and compression garments, look physically monstrous without explanation, don't want to date, and basically wish to sleep as much as possible.  I am still a student at the university, and have very little money and cannot afford insurance. With the extensive futile medical diagnostics i have undergone, in conjunction with LE drainage therapy, i am deeply in debt and have no prospect of affording insurance in the future, given the status of my income and my shattered credit history given the medical pile up.  With all of these factors influencing my life so brutally, I am truly on the brink of suicide. I need to know for my life why I have Lymphedema?There is a cauz
  • lymphedema (2 replies):
    For quite a while my right leg from foot to the knee ha...[more]
I had never heard of this until last night when I saw a special on television about it.  It can happen to anyone for any reason, even a bump on the leg.  It is when the bodies waist system breaks down and starts filling up like a clogged drain causing edema in the extremitites.  On the television show, the patient went to a hospital which specifically treats this problem and they drained the leg, used massage therapy and wrapped it in an ace bandage.  There is help, you need to find a place that can treat you and give you advice for future.  Hang in there
Thelonius, can you give us an update on your condition? How are you doing?
I have the same condition!  Two years ago my left leg swelled up from the knee down to the toes.  I have tried everything from lymphatic massage, to wrapping the leg at night, to specially made compression hose and nothing really makes a difference.  My right knee needed a total knee replacement and I was hoping once I got that done the strain of overcompensating on the left leg would make the swelling go away; but my surgery was done last July, my right leg is strong again, but the left leg is still swollen!  No apparent reason or cause.  It is not a blood clot, no veinous problems, doesn't even pain me - it's just an ugly swollen leg!  Can't seem to find a cause OR a cure!
I have been so uncomfortable after having breast cancer and radiotherapy, I had lymph nodes removed, firstly I got a swollen painful arm, and now my leg/foot are extremely swollen.  I was fitted for a compression garment, but as I also have a bad knee to my right leg I find them so difficult to get on, and sweat buckets to achieve it.  Taking it off is even more of an issue, and I managed to get the thigh length stocking down to just below my knee, and then I was in agony as it was compressing my leg and it took me all my strength to get the thing off it was that painful I cried. I was next given knee length support which are somewhat  easier, but not really helped, I dont know about you but I get a pain almost like stinging nettlesin my foot  and its tender to touch my foot and leg,if the dog wags her tail and knocks it its painful,  I got bitten by a mosquitto last week and it got infected so Ive had a weeping swollen watery area.  Are there any support groups,clinics etc. and do GPs support lymphatic massage? didnt it work for you at all?  I just dont know what the answer is but am trying to find other sufferers.  Thanks Janice
Hi, I feel your pain, stress, emotions and the uncomfortable stockings. I have lived with lymphedema since 1996. My right leg calf measures a whopping 32" while my left leg calf is only 14". I consider myself a "Freak of Life". I have excluded myself from society because of the embarrassment, the harsh, rude comments of uneducated strangers, the laughing, gawking, the take a second look-maybe three people who really have know idea how painfully they are destroying me. If you find out anything to relieve the swelling please include me in your miracle. Thank you. Also, I'm a great listener if you want to talk.