MTHFR (Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) User Group
Introduction and questions
About This Group:

This Group was created for anyone wishing to learn, chat or share information relating to MTHFR. Many woman have suffered Miscarriage(s) and have no idea why. For some of us, a genetic mutation called MTHFR is the reason. MTHFR (or 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase NADPH) is a genetic mutation that has 24 known variants that affects the ability to absorb Folic Acid and can cause more severe problems in health and also in pregnancy. There is much debate and dispute within the medical community regarding MTHFR and it's relationship to pregnancy loss or Recurrent Pregnancy Loss (RPL). In all the confusion, there are many ideas and treatments along with schools of thought on how to treat or deal with MTHFR.

Founded by Dragon1973 on October 23, 2010
68 members

Introduction and questions

Hi! My name is Tracie. I am 32 years old DH and I have one four year old boy. We got pregnant on the first try with him. He had one of the worst cases of reflux I have heard of, and even though we had always wanted two children, we decided we couldn't handle another baby like he was and a toddler. Last summer we got pregnant by accident. :). Six week u/s looked good. I started bleeding at ten weeks. U/s confirmed fetus stopped growing at six weeks three days. We had gotten attached to the idea of another baby and decided to try again. We got pregnant on our first try. Six week u/s looked good. Nine week ultrasound showed fetus stopped growing at eight weeks. I went to RE who ran every test imaginable. Anticardiolipin antibodies showed up positive by a point or two. RE sent me to hematologist who retested and ran a more specific test and both came back negative. He said ACLs that go in and out of positives are nothing to be concerned about - only the ones that stay positive cause issues. He said I could do lovenox injections if I get pregnant again, but it is likely unnecessary. Oh, and my SED rate is always high - it is typically and indicator of an infection or inflammation, but neither my gp, a rheumatologist, nor a hematologist could figure out why.

RE wants me to do 2.5mg letrozole for five days of a closely monitored cycle to ensure a healthy egg when we TTC again. My cycles are always regular, and all of my relevent tests were normal.

I recently heard about specific gene testing for MTHFR. I had previously read about it and that homocysteine levels were a good indicator of the mutation. At the time of testing a month after my second miscarriage, my homocysteine level was normal.

My questions - does anyone know of any studies or have any experience with perfectly fertile couples who take letrozole - specifically with regards to multiples?

Is there anything else I should be doing before or during TTC to ensure a successful pregnancy?
1 Comment
Here is the rest of my question.

I mentioned to my RE about testing for MTHFR but he said since I had a single positive test for anti-cardiolipin antibodies, he would treat me with lovenox anyway so any further diagnosis was unnecessary. I had already asked my gp to run the test, and I got the results the other day. I tested positive for the heterozygous mutation of c677t. The a1298c was normal. From what I have read, treatment is not indicated with that particular mutation, is that true? Im apparently going to be having lovenox injections anyway, so I guess that part is irrelevant, but what about additional folic acid? This next try is going to be our last, so I want to make sure all of my bases are covered.
queenspade commented on retta483's status
Mar 24
queenspade HAPPY ANGEL DAY TO MY SON A... Comment
Mar 13
chrissymom commented on photo
Mar 01