Mastocytosis Community
could this be U.P. on my baby girl?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Mastocytosis.

could this be U.P. on my baby girl?

Hello All, my name is Tif. I have a one year old little girl that at 5 months old, presented with some peculiar looking round to oval shaped pinkish brown spots on her torso and back with a welt or two on her legs and arms and neck- usually behind her ears that sometimes look like mosquito bites. These spots never fully go away, they become red and inflamed at times and begin to itch and then fade back to a light brownish color.  I took her to the pediatrician and he said he was not sure what it was, but it looked like some form of urticaria, but the larger flat round slightly raised pinkish brown spots threw him off- he said we will take a wait and see approach and instructed me to give her anti histamines like claritin for kids. I guess I'm grasping at straws here but I was wondering, does the description of symptoms I just listed above sound like anything you've dealt with? I have done hours of research on this and it seems like her symptoms match that of Urticaria Pigmentosa. I am very worried because I've seen some other conditions that sort of match up- not as much as U.P. but they could be serious and detrimental to her well being. If anyone could give some advice on this I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks in advance.  
I wanted to update you on my baby girl's condition. It is Urticaria Pigmentosa although they're not sure if it is cutaneous or systemic and from the sound of it they really can't know because what presents as cutaneous can morph into the systemic form, if I understand them right. The spots have spread and she now has them head to toe, literally. Her scalp is riddled with patches, legs arms trunk even feet hands and genitalia. It's not shocking or unsightly because they fade to brown. There are no spots on her precious little face as of yet.

When she cries and gets mad, overheated, drastic change in temperature, certain fabrics and detergents etc. she flares up. The spots tend to communicate with one another, if you rub one it swells and gets red and puffy and like a domino effect several of them follow.

She can't have cough syrups or too much citrus or acidic foods or juices because it seems to agitate her condition. Overall she's a happy healthy baby, just covered in spots with frequent flare ups. I give her antihistamines to treat the flares but I have some reservations about giving them to her 24/7. I have yet to get all of her vaccinations caught up, I know how it must sound but my oldest was vaccine injured from his 3rd MMR right before he started kindergarten and he was VERY ill for 3 years straight. Very scary and in my panic and fear of the unknown I chose not to vaccinate her until I knew what she had.

I do have some questions, were you vaccinated, do you have children? Do any of them have U.P.? Do they have their shots? Forgive me please, I don't mean to pry or be a pest, I'm just curious and trying to gather as much information from EXPERIENCED people who know this condition and live with it. Any advice would be helpful. I do plan to get her shots, but not so close together and certainly not the 3rd MMR. For some reason autoimmune disease and that particular shot don't agree with one another.

p.s. I can't thank you enough for your input during such a scary time when we didn't know, you provided much comfort and your words were very reassuring. For that ****HUGS**** I'm very grateful!!