Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Amnio and Quad test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Amnio and Quad test

Hi ladies,

I am currently 16 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I am scheduled to have amnio on Thursday. I read about the Quad screen in the catalog that my doc gave me, but she never discussed when I should have it done. I was wondering what the quad screen is and when I shoudl make appointment for that. Do I even need it, since  I am going through amnio anyways?

Also, eversince my nausea and fatigue are relieved I am absolutely paranoid about loosing the baby. I constantly worry and wonder if the heartbeat is still there, or if the baby is ok. has anyone else gone through this? I am sooo worried because at this point I dont even feel the flutters yet.

Lily
Lily - I totally understand about the paranoia.  Mine was horrible and I now feel sorry for my poor husband as he listened to me obsess all of the time.

Please don't worry - your flutters will come.  16w2d is awfully early to be feeling anything and remember it can just take time.  The quad test - I want to find out about that one - I thought it had to be done during the end of the 1st trimester but I'm not sure.   I too am not sure why you would need this since you're having an amnio and a quad test is only a screen for markers.

Take care of yourself - have you thought about getting a doppler so you can listen to the heartbeat yourself and be reassured that everything's okay?  I forgot the website but google it and see what you come up with - hugs, jen
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am going to my doc tomorrow to listen to the heartbeat, so I guess I can relax for a while after that:)
Take care,
Lily
Hi!

I just joined this forum (I've been on the Pregnancy 35+ for awhile, but just found this one today)

I am 17 weeks today and just went for my Quad Screen today. I had an NT scan at about 12-13 weeks and I was assessed at having the same risk as a 20 year old...like 1 in 5000.  But since the Quad Screen is only b/w, DH and I decided that we would go ahead and have it too.  It is a more accurate assessment (not diagnostic) of your risk for Down's Syndrome, Trisomy 18 and Open Spina Bifada.  

It is typically performed between 15-20 weeks and for my doctor, would only give it to me if I had the NT test (I think they combine the two pieces of information in this particular practice).  I do know other women who have had it without having the first trimester NT scan.

I can completely relate with the anxiety about the baby. I have been ttc for almost four years, two miscarriages and one failed IVF, so everytime my symptoms wavered, I got nervous - including a week or so ago, when the bb tenderness settled considerably.  I purchased a fetal heart doppler, against my doctor's advice, because I knew for me, it would bring me comfort...not stress. And it does...when I first got it, I was still pretty 'sick' with symptoms so I only listened every few days. But now that I am in the second trimester and symptoms really faded, I listen almost every day!

Also, I JUST started feeling the flutters in the last day or so and really only at night when I am on my left side, really calm and still.  My doc told me that I might not feel the baby until 22-24 weeks, since I am a first-timer! ;)

Are you on the Feb10 Babies Forum? If not, you should join...it's another nice place to talk with folks who are due during the same month that you are and are feeling what you are feeling (usually ;) )

Good luck and happy and healthy pregnancy to you!