Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Anyone dealing w/baby who wants to suck after feeding?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

I wish they had a topic for bottlefeeding - oh well.  Noah's bottlefed & while at first he's content for a bit as long as we get a good burp out of him.  At times when the gas hits, he's frantically trying to suck on something and the bad thing is he doesn't like his paci so that's out.  I sometimes have made the mistake of giving him more formula but of course that has made the situation worse.  Any suggestions?  I can't WAIT to see his dr today.  I have so many questions to ask.  If I were breastfeeding, I would just stick him on the boob to settle him down but can't do that :-((.  Oh btw, he acts like he's trying to poop (which at times he is) when he wants to suck on something.  Poor thing!
some suggestions are to supplement with water between feedings, which may help with his constipation and sucking need.  also, talk to his pedi about glycerin suppositories.  i had to give them to my youngest daughter for constipation, and they did help.  
my dr say no water...it is bad for babies... my guy does the same  thing pushes and grunts and turns red in the face all day especially during and after feedings! I dont know how to help him, I have tried everything??? I know what you are going thru!
i guess every dr has a diff opinion, b/c mine encouraged water feedings... another thing to try is changing formula for a few weeks to one that is easier to digest.  
I'm not sure that breastfeeding would even help---towards the end of the feedings my daughter gets mad that milk is still coming out of my breasts.  It's like she wants to suckle but without the milk.  She also hates pacifiers and refuses a bottle too.  She ends up mad and starts flailing her arms around and bucking like a bronco!!  She'll latch for a second and be happy and the next second when she gets a mouthful of milk she snaps off it and is super mad!!  Holy cow -  I wish this baby would just suck her thumb!!!  I have to admit - it really makes me laugh sometimes!
The problem w' water inbetwen feedings is that the body has a delciate balance of sodium and electrolytes to water and if you drink too much water you can become hyponatremic (spelling?). I learned this when I ran a marathon and they actually used an example of well-meaning parents giving their newborns and infants water, not knowing proprotions and such and thereby throwing off the chemical balance required for bodily function. Hyponatremia can be very serious, so if water is given only do it under a doctor's supervision and guidance with respect to amount and frequency.

But 40smama, we're bottlefeeding, too, and my little guy at 8 days does that, too, and am still honing in on what works best. I've found that if I overfeed it causes this so I am stopping him before he would want to stop himself just a tad. I'm feeding him more upright instead of laying flat and keeping him fairly upright (or at a slightly reclined angle) for about 20 minutes after feeding. This helps gravity move everything through faster with less refulx back into the esophagus which can cause that whole angst and distress thing. Still working it out, though, experimenting with bottles and finding the right "it" solution for over here.

Let me know wha tyou find out!
Sleepy Christina
should have added that it's too much water in the body which dilutes necessary electrolytes like sodium. When sodium gets too low your body goes into a tizzy and that's why many endurance athletes will take salt tablets or eat salty snacks after runs.
I hear you Christina about the electrolyte system thing.  I read about that on the internet so I worry about that naturally.  The pedi said one thing to do was to put a little formula on his paci to kind of "fool" him into taking it and today it worked about 60% of the time.  He did say we could give him very, very small amount of water w/Karo Syrup in it to help him move his gut.  I think it was 1 teaspoon per two ounces (of course that's the formula - you don't have to give that much water).  We did that as a last resort today & he only took about half an ounce before he got mad so I don't know.  I hate seeing him cry as that just exasperates the situation as he swallows more air, trapping it in his tummy/gut, & making things worse!!

Glad to know that I'm not the only one out there.  We too have experimented w/bottles and the only one Noah will take really well is the Playtex Drop-Ins.  It seemed he had colic w/every one of them.  Oh I'm sure I mentioned it on another post - the pedi prescribed an anti-gas med for him but I'm not sure how well it really works - darn it!!

Oh one more thing - Noah likes one way of me rocking/walking him & it usually soothes him but the thing is it kills my back before doing it very long and of course he wants it done  A LOT!  But I'm willing to suffer my back (poor martyr Mom) to pacify the little guy.  I'm trying to keep my sense of humore though.  Everytime he cries I say, "Yo No, whaddup my baby?"  And variations on that - I'm turning him into a gangsta!
yea.. mine does this too and she is breastfed. Its so frustrating. Its not constipation though... mine has more of a loose stool.
I have found that a diffrent pachie makes a big diffrence. I have bought 4 diffrent kinds befor I found the one she really likes.
Is he still doing this Jen?
Have you tried the Soothies pacifiers?  That's the kind we use in the hospital.  A lot of hospitals use them.

We've even had distraught parents show up to get them in the middle of the night when they can't find the one they were given to take home.

http://www.shop.com/Baby-a-Soothie+Pacifiers-nover-st.shtml?sourceid=429
Thanks, Peek.

Yeah, I have a truck load of them.  But believe it or not, now that No's sleeping through the night, he's taking the paci!  I can't believe it - now, he doesn't do that every time but enough that when he needs to self-soothe, he'll take it for a short time.

He's taking the pacifier for Playtex - maybe that's why he'll take it??  I dunno.  Anyway, I THINK anyway that I got the little guy into a little bit of a nighttime routine.  I still walk, rock, rap, light candles, do seances (j/k) to get the little guy relaxed enough to fall asleep.  He fights sleep like no other I've ever seen.

What finally helped is swaddling and moving him to his big-boy crib.  I also got this sound machine.  He doesn't need to suck as bad as he used to but when the occasion arises, distraction/paci/walking/etc generally works.  What's weird about him is that when I walk him, he'll suddenly start crying really loud and then almost instantly fall asleep!

He's a super baby - I think now that his colic's under control, he's much more contented.  He even did great and slept through the night when we were all in one room together on our Seattle trip!   I couldn't believe it although the first night was a little rough.  I'm surprised our neighbors didn't call and complain because No just couldn't settle himself enough to fall asleep.  He reminds me of myself........

Hope this helps, Teresa.  How's Samantha doin'?
oh she is such a joy!!! but boy oh boy is my body aching at the end of the day. she s not three months yet and weighs 15lb.  I have already spoild her and thats all she wants is to be held. thank goodness she takes many cat naps durning the day. she still doesnt like the swing and I bought two of them.. gulp.. I even took one on the porch to think maybe she will take to it there?  gulp...10min max!!

lol I forgot how hard it gets. boy is my body taking a hit. some days I just think how much more will my back take???  I think my bones are trying to get back to normal???

I got her to laugh out loud last night,(first true laugh)  I was putting lotion on her and when I  kissed the belly, omg... she giggled and laughed sooo hard. my heart just melted. It was the most beautiful noise.

hope all is fine with you and Noah... any sugestions or information is well appreciated. concidering this is all s I do these days. live,breath, and think baby. 24/7