Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Concern about genetic testing at 5 in half months in pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Hello I am curious if it is safe to have a genetic testing procedure done at 5 in half months of pregnancy. The test that I am having to decide to do is called cordocenteses it is were they will draw blood from the umbillico cord to check for down syndrome . My concern is that early in my first trimester I have bleeding because the placenta was having trouble placing it self correctly , I was prescribed meds. to help heal the problem and everything has been good for my pregnancy . I have taken the double and triple test as well and I have had wonderful results for those test . I am scared if I should do this genetic test because I am almost 6 months and from what I have heard the genetic test are normally done in the first trimester . I am a American citizen but I now live in Serbia and the I am very nervous on how the medical procedures are done here it is very different from what I a m use to in the States . If you could please give me some insight it will help me on my deciding on what I should do .
I don't think I would do it esp if your other tests were ok.  Are u at risk for having a ds child? Are u advanced maternal age? If not I wouldn't.  Good luck
I wouldnt do it especially if you have had probs with the cord, and if your other results were good, it just wouldnt be worth the risk to your baby
if you think everthing is ok then there is no need to do i am 26 weeks pregnant of my frist baby i will naver take dat risk so don't do it.
nice information. thank you for sharing it.

thanks
Packers Movers
again old thread but...in 2014 I had genetic testing done in my 17th week. I had my Quad markers ran and of the 4th one was abnormally high. My specific results did not indicate Trisomy (Downs) 13 or 18 or any of the other birth defects like for neural tube defects. But due to the higher levels of the 4th (Inhibin-A), did show compiled with my age (42) that I had a 1/24 chance of having a child with Trisomy 21. Quad markers are just an indication test, it is not a diagnostic test. But, it will tell you how to proceed by the results. The results show about 75% accurate in a positive result.  

I was and remain dead set against invasive procedures. I was referred to a high risk OB and genetics councilor in a larger city.  The councilor explained the results and gave my husband and I the marker indications. The next step, of the same day was to perform a Level 2 ultra sound to check for Trisomy markers. She had none, which then lowered her chance by 30-50%. The next step, as discussed with the genetics councilor was to perform either amnio or an alternate maternal blood draw. They used a kit by Harmony. BOTH have the same result percentages - almost 100%. (There are other maternal blood draw test brands)

The blood draw isolates and checks for Trisomy 13,18 and 21 via DNA. The test takes 10-14 days for the results, 10 min to draw blood from your arm. It will not test for genetic abnormalities in mom, just for baby. But, since our choice was to deliver no matter the results we just wanted to be prepared for the outcome. We felt no matter her condition we wanted to welcome her into the world versus any chance of having a miscarriage. Amnio does have a miscarriage rate (1-200 to 1-400) and that rate differs from what source you find. For us, ANY rate of miscarriage after trying for 2 years was too high of a rate, we had already had 2 miscarriages the year before.

I am unsure of the cost difference between the blood draw and amnio. Our insurance paid 100% of the testing. But even if we had been self pay and Maternal draw would have been more, we would have paid it. I wouldn't say we were pressured into an amnio, but I will say it is the standard and despite risks, health or choice is generally the go-to (like an episiotomy and laying on your back for delivery) and not always the best choice for mom.   We are now waiting on the test results.