Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Early Ultrasound and Non-Viable pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

I went for my first prenatal visit yesterday at 6w3days.  The doctor could not find a sac with the transvaginal ultrasound but did find one transabdominally.....yes, that is correct....she couldn't find one vaginally but did by the abdomen?!?  She did not take any measurements nor did she do any blood draws.  She diagnosed a blighted ovum and gave me a referral for a D and C.

Does anyone know why she would have seen a sac abdominally, but not vaginally?  I am wanting to wait a few weeks before having the D and C for my own piece of mind, but I am a little concerned about an ectopic pregnancy and I don't know if that is a valid concern or not.

I am currently living overseas and don't speak the language here, so there is a communication barrier and I don't feel like I can call the doctor back to request additional tests or information.

Thanks for any insights.
First of all I want to tell you that I am sorry you are going through this. I've never heard of this..usually transvaginal is usually a better way to see what is going on, especially early on. If it were ectopic, I think they would know that for sure and would get you right in since that is more serious. I can see where you are confused and I think you are right to wait a few weeks. Is there any way you can get a second opinpn, go for a second u/s? 6w is early, maybe everything will be ok.  I will keep you in my prayers. Let me know what happens. Stay positive for now, I know easier said than done.

I just wanted to say hopefully you can make it past 8 weeks to your next u/s because I had the same thing with my first u/s at 6w3d, said they suspected a b/o because could see sac but no baby, and i should expect to miscarry. while i was waiting for follow up u/s still felt same symptoms etc.... on my 8 wk u/s (abdominal same as first) went to a dif lab (1 st one gave me bad vibes) the u/s tech found the baby with a heartbeat even! so at the very least I think i would have waited to miscarry naturally rather than d & c.

good luck,
Joanne
Hi, I am really sorry you are having such a anxious experience, I think you are really wise to hold tight on the D&C. A few weeks will give you more of a chance to see what is going on and hopefully like oceanv the hospital may have made a mistake. I know how frustrating it is with the language barrier as I have been in a similar situation, I started miscarrying my baby whilst on holiday in Spain last year and no-one spoke english, they turned the screen away from me whilst they did the U/S and I can remember the agony of trying to descipher the odd word and desperately searching their faces for clues of what they could see. I wasn't given any bloods either but luckily I flew back to the UK 48hours later and was seen in a UK hospital who explained what had happened. Good luck with everything - sending you a big hug xx