Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
FSH test and RE's recommendation! please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Hi ladies,

I  have been posting in this thread eversince we started trying. I know that I should post this question in fertility thread, but no one replies to my posts there.
I went to my RE yesterday with my FSH and AMH test resukts. FSH=11.5, AMH=0.3. I went with hubby because I thought the RE looking at my test resut is going to suggest IVF immidiately. to my surprise he started to discuss my options with IUI, IVF and even trying naturally!! Then he went on to say he wouldnt recommend anything and leaves the option to me and my husband! do you think this was his way of saying I will be a low responder to IVF and IUI? I mean why would he even think that at 35, and with those test resuts trying naturally is even an option!! I am constantly analayzing what he said in my mind and am going crazy over this. Please let me know what you think of this conversation.

just incase you dont get a response here, i thought i'd let you know that the 21-35 board is usually real active so might get more people seeing your post :-)  just a thought... Im just a granny so what do i know ;-)   But give it a try, you can use as many boards as you like...  all the best
Thanks:)
Hi there,
Your situation sounds a lot like mine a year ago. I was 34 with an FSH of 11. ( not sure on what AMH is? )We conceived, with the help of Clomid, no IUI, no IVF. Have u been tested to see if you are still ovualting regularly?..I wasnt ovulating, so I was on Clomid to kick start it.
I now have a healthy 11 month old daughter, so its very very possible to conceive naturally with fsh 11, ..
Its a difficult decision to make, as it is looking like time isn't on your side..wishing you all the best
Sarah
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your post. I am scheduled to take Clomid next month. I am not sure if I ovulate, but i do get my periods regularly. When you weren't ovulating, wre you having regular periods?  how did your doctor find out that you were not ovulating?

Thanks again.
Lily
I think you're RE leaving things up to you to decide is just that.  You're not so much at a critical stage where they'd immediately suggest you try something extreme.  

Personally I suggest you start off with IUI, and this would be just to see how well you respond to fertility medicine.  I'd be aggressive and skip just clomid.  Go to injectibles or tray a combo of clomid/fermara and injectibles.   Or just injectibles.  Your FSH isn't fabulous but you're younger so your eggs are of better quality.   So you will probably get two or three eggs with IUI and it's just a matter of getting the good one.   And the only way you know if you'll respond to the infertilty drugs is to try....sometimes FSH just doesn't even matter.   All you can do it try.