Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Feeding Question For 5 Month Old
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Feeding Question For 5 Month Old

Hello Ladies!

My little one is confounding me with his eating issues and I wanted some advice.  From birth, he had some tummy troubles and had to go on Nutramigen, and though he seemed like he wanted more than 3 oz at a time when he got 6 weeks +, he would throw it up, so we had to do smaller feedings more often.  We were able to gradually increase to 4 oz.

In the past few weeks, he's jumped from 4 oz to 7 oz because he's so hungry. He also has been swiping at my food and if I eat in front of him or drink, he throws a tantrum and reaches for it.  Clearly he is ready to try solids, so we've been giving him cereal and stage 1 baby food for a few weeks, thinking this would curb his need for 7 oz bottles every 2.5 to 3 hours.  It hasn't helped at all! He wants the solids and still wants 7 oz of milk every 3 hours.

My pediatrician said that this is too much milk and that he shouldn't have more than 32 oz in a day, but she didn't offer any advice to fix the issue.  The baby is hungry, and I don't see the point in letting him scream for food until we hit the 4 or 5 hour mark.

Any advice?  Currently, the schedule we're TRYING to keep him on is:

5:30 am bottle - 7 oz
9:30 am bottle - 7 oz and then offer cereal and a fruit
1:30 pm bottle - 7 oz and then offer cereal and a veggie
5:30 pm bottle - 7 oz and then offer a cereal and fruit and veggie
9:30 pm bottle - 7 oz

So far, he wants the bottles every 3 hours instead of every four hours, and he wakes up in the middle of the night for another 7 oz bottle so it isn't working too well. Interestingly, he's not a big baby nor does he seem to be gaining a ton of weight.  He's about 50 percentile... 13 lbs at 5 months.

Any advice?

Sheri