Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Fused vagina in a baby?!?!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fused vagina in a baby?!?!

Ok, hope someone can share I am kind of freaking here.

I just bathed my baby girl Michaela and was giving her a massage (she is about 14 weeks old now).  Then I was cleaning around her vagina and I saw that there is no opening.  Now this is the first time I examined it so closely so I have no idea if it was open before and now it's not or if it was never open (though I never noticed anything before).  Currently there is just a thin line.  Though she can still urinate fine, so there must be a small opening though I can't really see just now.

Then I freaked.  Then I started looking on line.  I read on line just now that there is such a thing as a fused vagina.  This means the labia are joined together - apparently this is quite common 1 - 10% of little girls, but hardly known.  Usually it self corrects. The alternative is some congenital defect!  Anyway, I am going to have to see her pediatrician.  

Hope all is fine! Geez!  Anyone ever heard of this?

S