Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Fused vagina in a baby?!?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Fused vagina in a baby?!?!

Ok, hope someone can share I am kind of freaking here.

I just bathed my baby girl Michaela and was giving her a massage (she is about 14 weeks old now).  Then I was cleaning around her vagina and I saw that there is no opening.  Now this is the first time I examined it so closely so I have no idea if it was open before and now it's not or if it was never open (though I never noticed anything before).  Currently there is just a thin line.  Though she can still urinate fine, so there must be a small opening though I can't really see just now.

Then I freaked.  Then I started looking on line.  I read on line just now that there is such a thing as a fused vagina.  This means the labia are joined together - apparently this is quite common 1 - 10% of little girls, but hardly known.  Usually it self corrects. The alternative is some congenital defect!  Anyway, I am going to have to see her pediatrician.  

Hope all is fine! Geez!  Anyone ever heard of this?

S
talked to my sis.  She said it's normal and will open by itself by the time she's 12 months or so.  Said her daughter had it, and she has other mum friends whose daughters also had the same thing...

NEver heard of such a thing before.  The things we never know!  Guess we don't really look down there that closely usually...
hi my  we girl has the sam prob we seen a pediatrican thay gave us premarin cream its a estrogen cream wich may open it it did but has closed agan so trying it agan seen pediatrician he said we can lev it for six mnth and look agan 2 c if it stays open if not may have 2 have small op 2 open it bye pulling it open i need sum help he said it could lead 2 her getting infe in side going out my mind with wory help sum 1.........