Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Light bleeding and HCG levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Light bleeding and HCG levels

I went through a MC 2 years back after TTC for about 5 years, MC happened shortly after the ultrasound, so my brain connects the ultrasound event and the M/C together.

This time i am at the start of 7 weeks pregnant via IVF, on progesterone and estrogen to support the pregnancy ( no drugs last time) and i am having a small amount of light brown stuff on the panty liners, and occasionally a smear of pale pink when i wipe after the toilet.

My beta HCg are doing good, i have been having hem checked each week, and they are doubling nicely and in the right range for my pregnancy. Progesterone is good at 19.7, which although low for a normal pregnancy is fine for IVF as they take away the bodies ability to support via the corpus lutem as it's a donor cycle so i do not have one, hence all the meds for progesterone and estrogen, until the placenta grows enough to kick in around week 12.

Due to my aversion to an ultrasound until i reach 12 weeks, i would like to ask if other IVF moms have gone through anything similar in their first trimester where they had discharge of some sort - graphic details are fine as there is such a range in color, size and frequency of blood, whilst their HCG and progesterone levels where increasing? If so did they lose the baby, or continue to a successful birth.

Diane

Im not an ivf mom but I can tell you my experience.  With my first son I had bleeding and spotting from weeks 6-15.  He is now 8.  My progesterone level was 16.2 and went up to 18 later.  I was also on progesterone.  There was a hematoma which was what started my spotting.  It all resolved.  With my new baby, currently 10 weeks, I am also on progesterone and estrace too.(just stopped the estrace today and will stop progesterone at 12 weeks)  We did a medicated cycle because I had trouble TTC. Anyway, I know how hard it is to not freak out when you see the spotting but try to stay positive.  Your hcg levels are good so things sounds like things will be ok.  Good luck to you.
Also I understand about the ultrasound and m/c.  With my first m/c I had 3 ultrasounds, first one heartbeat was low, seond one heartbeat was lower, and 3rd the baby had died.  So everytime I hear ultrasound, I get freaked out as well.  My second m/c I didnt have any ultrasounds because I just couldnt handle it and I m/c anyway.  But since you are spotting it may be a good idea to get one, they might can find the cause of the bleed, it may be a hematoma or even a cyst could have ruptured, so there may not even be anything wrong with the baby. Just a thought, hope all goes well for you.