Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Long term birth control - what to do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Long term birth control - what to do?

What options have I not thought of?  I have had 3 caesareans and have 2 beautiful kids (age 3 & 1). And I am done.  I had Merina (IUD) inserted a year ago but want it out as the yeast infections are just ridiculous!  I have been trying to convince DH to have a vasectomy but after all the research I did would never forgive myself if he ended up with side effects for the rest of his life.  (I at least can have the darn Merina removed).  I don't want another op (3 c-sections are enough) and don't want to take a pill every day.  What other options are there and what have your experiences been.  Maybe the injection? Or the copper IUD (heard this makes some women bleed very heavily)

What to do!!!  
Maybe depo.  I never tried it but have heard both good and bad things.  But no pill every day, and I hear your period may stop altogether while you are on it!  My doctor had suggested Nuva Ring to me a few years back. I didn't use it, but it did sound like an option.  Only once a month you have to think about it, not every day.  
Hi,I would definately recommend depo.  i used it for about 7 years, came off it in July and was pregnant in August.  My periods stopped completely when I was on it.  It was wonderful.  There are supposed to be some side affects however I didn't experience any of them.  My fear was getting pregnant when I was ready for another child and I had no trouble whatsoever!  I will be going back on it after this baby as well as this is my last.  Good luck!
Depo was my choice as well, and my experience with it was a good one.  My cycles were abnormal for about 3 or 4 months after I came off of it, and periods were very very heavy, but after that back to normal.  I have had no problem conceiving.