Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
MOTHER DISCONNECTING FROM BABY
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

MOTHER DISCONNECTING FROM BABY

Hi,
My older sister is 39 Yrs old and has a 3 yr old daughter. She is a single parent and starting dating someone who lives 6 hours away. I fear my sister is disconnecting from her daughter and wants to date and live freely without the responsibilities of being a parent. She works full time and goes away with her boyfriend practically every weekend while my other sisters or grandma babysits for her. She also recently left on a 10 day vacation WITH HER BF without her daughter so basically she sees her daughter after work enough to feed, bathe her and put her to bed and weekends shes gone.

The 3 yr old is showing signs of insecurity and abandonment issues. She never lets her mother out of her sight and asks every hour if her mom is coming to pick her up whether it be from daycare or where ever she is at the time. She is angry and cries and doesn't know why but i think she misses her mom.

Recently my sister asked me to babysit this weekend so she can go off with her BF and this is the 3rd weekend in a row she wouldn't be spending with her daughter. I'm also pregnant and have severe nausea so obviously not ideal.
IS THIS NORMAL SINGLE MOTHER BEHAVIOUR? should I confront her that she's being a selfish mom and she's abandoning her child? DO I STOP BABYSITTING HER DAUGHTER?  I'm not a parent yet so not sure how to handle this but I can't see how this is ok??.

ANY THOUGHTS PLEASE.......