Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Maternity leave in CA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Maternity leave in CA

Is it true Californians get paid for Maternity leave.  I don't get it...it looks like practically most countries get paid for maternity leave except US.  California has all the good laws!  Honestly!

I think someone from Canada said they get up to a year for paid Maternity leave...granted it's at 55% but a year!!  I think it's time for new legislations.  I though FMLA was great, but I still see now we're being short changed!

Don't get me wrong. I'm greatful at least  I'll get paid for 7 weeks of maternity leave at 80% of my salary, but still I will have to take two weeks without pay.   But I don't know if most will be as fortunate and it's just not fair.
Here's the article I read that brougth light to my eyes!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-07-26-maternity-leave_x.htm
It's hard to do that, but think about it the flip. Where do you think the money is going to come from to pay workers NOT to work and at the same time pay another worker to work in their place?  It's got to come from somewhere, if it comes from taxes then you are losing more of your paycheck.  Why is it the employer's responsibility to help you start a family?  To stay home with your baby, etc? I understand the desire, since I have two sweet little girls of my own, but it isn't realistic or practical overall, I don't think.
Canada's Rules at this moment, there's a maximum net per week of 402.00 a week, for me personally this is a huge reduction in pay and its gonna kill us for me to go on mat leave for any longer than six to eight months, also my husband got laid off so his job situatioin isn't exactly good, we both can't be collecting ei benefits. Although having said that its a choice for me to go back earlier than a year I'm not sure what we would do if we had to seriously consider going to back to work within a few months of giving birth - that must be HELL!, the other problem though is that daycare for children less than a year old isn't exactly easy to find (because our system is set - up for the one year off scenario).  I'm due in October.

Maternity benefits are payable to the birth mother or surrogate mother for a maximum of 15 weeks.  
The mother can start collecting maternity benefits either up to 8 weeks before she is expected to give birth or at the week she gives birth. Maternity benefits can be collected within 17 weeks of the actual or expected week of birth, whichever is later.
At the same time you present a claim for maternity benefits, yourself or/and partner can ask for parental benefits.
Parental benefits
Parental benefits are payable either to the biological or adoptive parents while they are caring for a new-born or an adopted child, up to a maximum of 35 weeks.
Actually there are more state than California that pay for your maternity leave....certainly something to be looked into.
Canada really does have a good program in place, esp if you can afford it.  Granted $409 a week isn't fabulous, but it's something.  Most of the time in the states if you're lucky you can get short term disability to pay for either 5 to 7 weeks based on type of delivery....but that's generally 55% to 60% of your pay.  

I guess there are a few states her that it's mandatory for state to pay. Which is nice and I'm a bit irritated that's it's not a national law.  

I'd love to be able to stop working 8 weeks before I was expected to give birth.  But right now I'm stock piling my vacation/sick time to use while on maternty leave.
I am not saying employers should flip the entire bill for it, but definitley some sort of contribution as they do in the case of unemployment insurance.   And I think the rest should come from taxes.   I do understand your perspective but there are ways besides employers to fund something like this.  

I think it is unfortunate that we don't have more baby bonding time available to us.  Historically it was 6 to 8 weeks before FMLA and as recently as 1993 12 weeks with FMLA.   That's just not enough time.  I had to go back to work at 7 weeks with my last child in 1995 and it was just awful having to leave him with a day care provider.   Too many children first year of life have to go to a day care provider.  I think that's worse that an employer having to fund our maternity leave.  You should see how much they pay the fat cats at my company...it's ridiculous.   I would love the luxury of staying at home with my baby for the first year.

I
And it looks like at least 15 states besides CA pay for maternity leave.   I think it's the other 35 that are being impractical.   Just my opinion.  
Me too! And when I had to go back after 11 weeks with my first, it sucked big time.  With my second, I went without pay so I could get 8 months.  But that was my choice, to have a family and to stay home, it isnt my employer's responsibility to make sure I can do what I want.  As an employer I would venture to say if that were true you would see less employers offering good jobs to women of childbearing age.  It isn't worth the cost.  
Ours (Canada Again) is paid for by the same system (Employment Insurance) that covers you for layoffs, being off work for being sick (sick benefits), compassionate care leave (to look after a dying / aging relative) we pay for it as a percentage of our pay and employers kick in 1.4 x what the employees put in.  Not sure if that's good or bad it's just been that way forever so that's what we know. Although it wasn't always 1 year for maternity / parental leave it used to be six months (Maybe 10 years ago?).

I know in England (she moved back there from Canada for about 6 years) my sister had to go back to work after six weeks of being off for maternity leave and I can't imagine that, she had a c-section.  

kind of ot but related
My good friend had to back to work in February after a year off and is paying $975 for daycare (for a 1 year old) so I can't imagine what I'll be paying for a less than one year old to go to daycare.......actually she's pregnant at the same time as me - due 1 day before me so I'm hoping she'll do our daycare til the baby turns one (since she's home anyway and she kind of offered)........  
I work for the federal government and we don't get squat.  If you have enough leave (sick and vacation) saved up to cover it you will get paid, otherwise you have to take leave without pay. For my son I had enough leave saved up to cover the whole 12wks, but this time, I will have to take some of it without pay.  And then when I come back from maternity leave, I will have zero leave available for dr visits, sick leave or vacations.  So if anybody gets sick, I'll have to take leave without pay again.  

It is frustrating.. you would think we would get some benefit for perpetuating the human race!!!  
I can't complain since my company paid 8 weeks for a c-section at 100% pay and then I took 12 more weeks FLMA using my pto at 100% pay.  BUT I have a colleague who moved to Finland.  I don't even think they were there a year before their daughter was born - she got an entire year of maternity leave paid for by the govt.!!!  Talk about nice!!