Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Sleepin' through the night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Sleepin' through the night

I don't even know what category to post this question under but there are several ladies here who have babies the same age as No-No (6 months) and I'm curious if everyone's babies are sleeping through the night.  Noah continues to have some sleep issues.  He usually wakes up around 3:00 a.m. to have a bottle.  Sometimes he stays up - I guess he can't go back to sleep right away - and sometimes he'll drop right off and go back to sleep though that's not often.  He seems really hungry at that time & his dr says at his weight he should be able to sleep through w/out a bottle but I'm sure not going to tell the baby that!

So, how are those babies doing (sleeping)?
Those aren't "sleep issues", ha ha...Sleep issues are when my baby busts out of the swaddle 10x a night and I nurse him 10x to keep him quiet and back to sleep. We are talking a 5 1/2 mo old 17-18lb baby boy! I'm over it!! Tonight he busted out at 7:30 and I left his arms out. He cried so hysterically I just kept going in and laying him on his side w/his afghan blankie and patting him on the back. He Finally...fell asleep! Then dd or something woke him up...I simply went in and pat him on the back on his side until he fell back asleep. It is now about 9 and I'm pretty proud. Who knows what the night will bring. No, they don't need to feed  anymore once they go to bed. If it's offered of course they won't deny it. The pediatrician says this. If you were offered a sunday at 3:00 am would you turn it down?
ha ha
Hi Jen,

Nice to see you *smile*...You certainly aren't alone...Sleeping through the night?? What is that?? Holly has only done that three times in 6 months!...She gets up around 1-2 am, and then again 4-5am...eesh..the trade off is she tend to wake around 8 am and the has another nap mid-morning..
I know that she probably should be sleeping through by now, and I have quite a few people saying we should be starting " controlled crying", but I'm coping ok and know she'll eventually get there when she's ready..
How are u coping with broken sleep for 6 months? and are u planning on making any changes ( somehow??)...oh btw, has Noah any teeth yet?
Sarah..xxx
Kelly - I guess you're right - No doesn't have any sleep issues but when I'm falling asleep while he's playing at 3:00 in the morning, it sure feels like it!  But guess what?  Right after typing this 'question', he slept through the night the next couple of days!  - WTF?  I don't understand this child but I'm sure enjoying it.

Sara - Noah has two teeth & I have people telling me too that he should be sleeping through the night.  My mother, whom I've stopped talking about this to, told me the same thing about letting him do the controlled crying thing.  He has had to cry some when I'm at my wit's end and need to take a brief time-out.  Strangely, he seems to do better if he gets in a couple of good naps in the morning.  

Other than that, I've no coping measure at this time except to talk about it w/you ladies which is why I'm asking about it.  I was curious about how other babies are doing because I've no friends who have babies - all of the mommies I've met so far who have babies Noah's age are my daughters' ages but I sure enjoy talking with them.

Glad I'm not alone :-))) - thanks for the entry, Sarah - how are you doing btw?  Miss talkin' to ya - hugs, jen
Hi Jen...

I am still right there with you.. Ty goes to bed around 8-9 and he wakes everynight between 3-4 am to eat and usually goes to sleep and  then wakes up at 6-7.. He is now 7 months holy cow I need some good night sleep!... our doc said bf babies are much harder to get to sleep because it becomes habit... well sheez! I dont know what to try... it is so much easier just to feed him then to hear him cry in the middle of the night..lol
Here's to a good night sleeo,, miss chatting with you, how ya been besides tired? lol
Kelly
What is sleep? Mine sleeps when he feels like it and definitely not during the day
Mine is 8 mo and is getting worse instead of improving! I think it's due to teething. He was having the same sleep schedule as Ty azqtpie between 5 and 6 mo.  Then he started teething and waking up more frequently but not to eat. Then we went overseas for two weeks and that messed things up. We came back and soon after he started cutting his top teeth.  The teeth are almost out now and I'm really hoping things will get better when that's done. Now he wakes up twice to eat 1 and 4 and then 7 am.  But he wakes up crying at least 2 or 3 more times and manage to go back to sleep after 5-10 min.  I still breastfeed him. Goo luck!
OK, you ladies are going to hate me. My daughter started sleeping 12 hours a night when she was 7 weeks old. She is now 8 months old and I have not had one sleepless night.
Now, there was a moment when she was waking up around midnight which was a signal that she was ready for more food. I slowly introduced solids, but I also added cereal to her last bottle at 7:30PM (her bedtime). Within 2 nights she was back on schedule.
I have friends whose 2 year olds wake up every morning at 4. What do they do? they give her a bottle and take her into bed with them. The problem is with the parents and not the child. Their 4 month old is following the same pattern.
I have to admit that I was supplementing from the second month and by the 4th month I dried out and had to switch her to formula. Again, I have noticed from people I talk to that the type of formula makes a difference. I give mine Enfamil lipil and the ones that give their babies Good Start seem to have night troubles. Not filling enough?
I am a great believer in letting them cry a little, comfort them but put them back to bed. Lights are off, no talking, no major movements. Just comfort him and put him back. I did it with my first baby 21 years ago and within 3 nights he was back on track.
I would really try to add cereal to his last bottle. You may need to cut the nipple a little bit. My daughter started refusing the cereal after 4 weeks. She didn't care for it anymore. Good luck. It must be nerve wreaking.