Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Starting Over

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Starting Over

Hi I am going to be 35 next month, I have a 13 yr old son (from a previous relationship) and recently got married. My husband and I are trying to concieve (conceive) and we are not successful. Can anyone share any info or advise?

I am also kind of scare trying to concieve (conceive) at this age after being told that after the age of 35 you are considered high risk.

Please help!
Our age will affect some kind of high risk Down Syndrome, but not all 35+.  

I am 38 years old and got married 2 years ago.. We tried for 21 months and unsuccessful... When we were planned to take a break from trying to conceive, then I got pregnant unexpected... I am 16 weeks pregnant now... At first I was concern about the high risk DS, the energy taking care a baby, the time, the financial... etc.... But all those worries are non sense... If you and your husband want a baby.. go for it.. don't think of any thing..

If you are planning to conceive... try to relax your mind and body.. stay away from stress as much as you can... That's what I did and I got pregnant....

Good luck to you.
I had four children from a previous marriage - I went through a lot of the same things you described - debating the high risks, etc.  I waited until 43 to get serious about getting pregnant - I naively thought I had time.  

Since you've been trying for more than 6 months for 35+, the general rule is too seek a doctor's help whether it's from a regular ob/gyn or a reproductive endocrinologist (re).  Depending on your age, I would skip the ob/gyn and go straight to the re.  I see you're 34 - it's a good age to get pregnant but again seek a doctor's aid.

Have you been charting your temperature, doing OPK's, etc to see if you're ovulating?  Since you're only 34, I wouldn't worry about any risks.  Yes, there are more of a risk concerning chromosonal abnormalities but at your age, I wouldn't worry about it.  If you were 42+, then I'd be more concerned.

Sorry to keep saying this, but don't wait too long before getting some help - best of luck to you & I hope you get your BFP soon- jen
i had a son from a prev marriage and remarried as well.  we did have a baby and she will be 2 in november.  it took a year to get pg with my first and the second try with my dd.  we have been ttc for about 5 month, but i just weaned her completly 4 weeks ago.  i wouldnt say 6 months is something to worry about just yet.  there can be many factors that are an easy fix.  

do your bbt, you may just be off on your timing.  you can also use opk's to help find the exact moment you do ovulate.  

according to my dr we dont just suddenly jump into a bracket of higher risk because we cross the 35 mark.  it will slowly increase and over 40 is a more "higher" risk factor.  

as many can say around medhelp stress of ttc can sometimes prevent that from happening.  get your temps for a few cycles to see when the right time to concieve (conceive) is. good luck!
I had my 3rd and last child at the age of 39. I had a very easy pregnancy and birth and he was absolutely perfect. Still is. :) Hope that helps make you feel better!