Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
To have or not to have...another baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

To have or not to have...another baby

Hello All! I am looking for an advice from someone who was in these shoes, or knows about similar situation. I have a baby, my Alisa is 1y.4m. old now, and i am pregnant again. I am gonna be 40 this coming May, and think that it would be good to have another baby NOW. But my body feels so tired. I work part-time and sit with my daughter, my husband does the same, we do not have anybody else to look after her. She is still wakes up several times during the night, doesn't walk on her own (mostly she does, but i still have to bend and crawl behind her on a playground). She also likes to be on my hands during the day, and she is 27lb. When i was pregnant with her my last two months i spent on a strict bed rest, so now this is my main concern - if i have enough strength to have another baby????Ladies, what do you think?
I think if you are wanting to have another baby later I think you should keep it. Because if you wait you might not have another chance. I am 43 and am wanting a baby.
Good Luck on your desiscion
I think you're very lucky to be pregnant again. It will be tiring and you may be on bed rest again but that's not even sure. And I doubt you'll regret it once the baby is born!

I am 41, expecting my 1st child in a dew days, and I think this will be my 1st and last child. I'd love to have an other one but it took 4 years to conceive the 1st one so I think my chances of having an other one will be nils at my age.

If you know you'd like two children you should keep this baby.  At your age you may not have another chance.  You never know, but how would you feel if you terminated and then you try to get pregnant again and can't in the future.

Pregnancy is always a difficult time, but you can get through it and your Alisa will adjust.

Best wishes to you in your decision.

You already have two children. Both of them equelly good and lovely. Congratulations and don't worry in advance. I also was scared that the age difference would be too small (1 year 8 mnths in my case). I guess this fear is natural. And then every mother is doing very well :-)  

Take care of yourself and your baby. If you need to stay in bed, do it. Arrange in advance who will take care of the older one if needed. Alisa will be fine, I am telling you. Again it's natural for mothers to feel guilty that they neglect the older kid but it is passing phase and when they see that their older child is fine and happy they stop worring.

Best wishes
The good thing about having babies close together in age is once the youngest is crawling around they keep each other company. You are not constantly entertaining them, because they are entertaining each other. I found it was easier to have two than one. don't think your age is a factor, but I understand your being tired. I had one baby that totally exhausted me (the not sleeping business). My others were extremely easy. Again, your age is not a factor. In my family we all seem to have our last in our forties, and one of my aunts had her first at 50 and her second at 52. All normal births.
It may have taken you four years to have your first, but once the body gets in the swing of it, it may be easier to have the second. Lots of luck.