Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
Where to go in Washington, DC

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

Where to go in Washington, DC

Hi Ladies,

My hubby and I are going to Washington, DC Oct 16-Oct 19, 2008.  We have business to take care of on Oct. 17, 2008, but would like to know what to do and where to go later in the afternoon.  Can you suggest restaurants and places to tour?  We are driving, but I was told its best to use public transportation?  I will be 6 months pregnant at the time of this trip.  So I wont be able to do alot of walking.  Thanks.
well, it pretty much depends on what you are interested in doing. There are lots of museums in DC to enjoy (I heard the journalism Museum is pretty amazing). If you just want to relax and dine, georgetown waterfront is a nice place, there are also water taxis that take you to a tour of monuments on Potomac river. you can buy the tickets right next to the harbor ( I am not sure if they still work at that time of the year though).
As for the restaurants, Georgetown restaurants are relatively pricy but good (Sequoia Restaurant) is my favorite, but I suggest to google "Georgetown Restaurants" and check out the menues and locations, there are tons of them.
Dupont Circle is another option. It is hip and has lots of small restaurants.

As for transportation, Subway (or Metro as we call it;-) is the best option. Both Dupont Circle and Georgtown have subway stations in walkable distance from them.

I hope you enjoy your stay in DC.

Lily
Where 'bouts in DC are going to?  DC proper, someplace close within the beltway in VA?  Maryland?  That makes a big diff in where to go...

However, the transportation is excellent, the DC area's subway transportation system can get you just about anywhere in the beltway area with relative ease and no parking.

Hubby likes to go to Murphy's Irish Pub in Fairfax, VA...it's family oriented, not really a bar, but the singing is excellent and the food is also good.  If you have a car, George Washington's Mt Vernon just outside the beltway is awesome.

We're going to Manassas this time around the week before you.  We were in Maryland last year and enjoyed that area.  Maryland has a lot to offer....  

Of course, the Mall and all the monuments are once in a lifetime...plus the museums along the mall.  You will not lack of anything to do, that's for sure.
My hubby has to go to Walter Reed hospital On Oct 17, 2008(we're military).  Once he is done, we want to do something fun.  We love museums and learning about different cultures.  But a boat ride won't be for me.  I get motion sickness. Thank you for the suggestions.  I am making a list.