Maternal & Child: 35+ Community
when did you take your baby out for the first time?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to maternity after the age of 35, newborns, and children.

My little girl is 3 weeks old and i'm officially going stir crazy! i am breastfeeding and in the day she tends to eat every two hours iif not more.. we have gone to the dr several times, but staying cooped up inside (we do take walks outside daily) is making me have some serious cabin fever!! i'd love to get out somewhere like a not too crowded mall.. but of course with all the flu going around i dont want to risk her getting sick.. when do yall think is safe to start getting her out to places like a mall (thats not too crowded that is). thanks for any advice!!! : )
you can go to malls and public places but try breastfeeding her before you leave home so that she'll sleep in the stroller the whole time you're out... and make sure you wash your hands when handling her, and keep the canopy closed on the stroller! You keep your outings to 2 hours or less and you guys will be fine!

good luck!

My thing is i now put a muslin wrap over the opening of the pram when she is sleeping and i have her facing me when she isnt because people kept leaning in and touching lily, my last straw was when someone picked up her dummy and tried to put it in her mouth so gross!
I took my son out for the first time when he was about 1 month old, breastfed him before living the house and then later I will just sit in the car to brestfeed him, you can always bring a blanket or something to cover your breast if in public, usually people are pretty o.k with babies.
I took my daughter grocery shopping the day we got out of the hospital.  I put her in a sling so she was pouched against my body.  No problems and we were both fine and had food to eat!

First - the incessant feeding does not last long. Usually maybe three weeks. I took my babies out whenever I felt like it. I remember going to a formal party with #3 when she was only eight days old. (She was the biggest sensation there.) I nestled her safely on someone's bed and had a great time. New mothers need care too. Trapping yourself in the house is foolish. Go visiting and take her with you. And give up on the worrying. That doesn't do anybody any good. Remember, happy mother means happy baby.
Me, again. With #1 we walked from the hospital with her to a friend's house and stayed there a couple of hours drinking tea and admiring my cute baby. My friends made me go home - not for the baby's sake, but for mine. After all, the baby was all swaddled up and only made a peep when it was hungry. It didn't know or care where it was.