Maternal & Child Community
( ) for HPV, but immuned

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

( ) for HPV, but immuned

I am a 25 year old female and I gave birth to my second child on 5/12 and after 6 weeks I received the normal check up from my GN, which included a pap and a test for HPV ( I guess they test automatically for HPV now).  I never had the HPV test done prior.  After the results, the receptionist called me to state I had an abmormal test and I needed to schedule the vinegar test to see if I had any precancerous cells, etc.  He looked and everything was normal.  He told me that my pap came back normal, but I tested (+) for HPV.  I asked  him how it could be since my husband was the only man I had unprotected sex with.  He said they are still finding out about HPV, but it is a sexually transmitted disease.  Also, he said I am immuned to this disease, but will always test (+) for it and it wouldn't affect my pap tests.  I have no side effects and am a little confused on what this means for me and my husband.  He has no side affects either and had had unprotected sex with 2 ex-girlfriends (long-term relationship who they claim to have only one partner)Could he be a carrier and not have symptoms/immuned as well?  Thank you.
  • HPV (2 replies):
    Back in May 1999, I was diagnosed with HPV, I had to lap...[more]
  • HPV vaccine (4 replies):
    Had a LEEP and doctor says to get HPV vaccine, but I wan...[more]
  • any one have hpv (2 replies):
    i have hpv and i just want to know if any more people hp...[more]
  • hpv and pregnancy
    ok this is for my babysitter so i may or may not get thi...[more]
  • HPV (9 replies):
    My ? is really not pertianing to babies, but I am ttc. ...[more]
I've had a colpscopy recently due to an abnormal pap but she's not 100% sure it's Hpv yet.  Anyhow, from my understanding, I think he is called a carrier although, he probably has no symptoms.  The thing about it is, that I think women can have it also (like us) and not have a clue.  As our bodies fight it off and so, we may be carriers and not have a clue either.  Ive heard several women on this site say that once they found out, they suspected their hubby of cheating but the Dr's always told them that that's not the case.  He just could never have known. Maybe it doesnt affect them like it affects us (ie: abnormal paps).  
I've even heard people say that it's not always an STD but, I dont know about that.  As you said, I guess their still doing research.
The person above me is correct, My GYN told me that there are 3 types of HPV 1. A carrier you can have it with no signs or symptoms 2. hpv with genital worts and 3. hpv that causes cancer.. I was diagnosed with the hpv that causes cancer cells and now i had to have a biopsy done.. they say almost everyone who has had 3 or more sex partners will have it in their lifetime and also you can get HPV even WITH a condom.
I too tested positive for this after being with one person in my life and he was never with anyone before me.  I cannot figure it out - when we broke up after 9 years I only had sex with another person a few times and we always used a condom.  I was freaking out and got a 2nd opinion.  Some doctors say it is an SDT and thats that but another doctor I went to said he has patients that are nuns and have it.  It is something every woman carries and it only comes out in some.  Still NOT fun to hear.  And that colposcopy hurts they make me get.
i have the hpv that causes cancer and have only ever been with one man....obviously he has been with other people before me...

it's scary, recently i had a leep done but all biopsies came back fine only showing hpv and no real distinct dysplasia of any kind mild or moderate....the biopsy showed the the tissue taken has 'hpv effect'....no dysplasia...so paps for me twice a year and for 3 years and then if all are normal i get to go back to once a year.
Thank you all for your answers.  I actually was thinking that it isn't an STD, especially the comment about nuns getting it.  I was thinking my father is a carrier of it and it is carried to his daughters because my half sister developed cervical cancer and my other two half sisters had a form of cancer and one point (in remission).  My brothers are fine.  I think I found a link to this.
I have had 6 pap tests come back for abnormal pre cancerous cells due to hpv that I contracted from my ex husband.He caught it from his ex girlfriend,and had 1 teeny tiny wart at his "area".At the time i never thought twice about it,until my 1st abnormal pap test a couple years later after the divorce.I never had genital warts,but my hpv titers come back high,and my colcoscopy findings had scars related to childbirth,but no clear cut findings of hpv warts [due to the scars].The last pap I had [6 weeks postpartum] ,It seems to be getting a little better,still abnormal but not as much.Were still in a wait and see mode,If it gets worse then another colcoscopy,and perhaps a LEEP.The only good news is that cervical cancer is VERY slow growing,and easily detected and cured.I plan on getting my oldest daughter vaccinated against it in a few months so she doesn't have to go through what I had to the last few years.
I have a daughter as well.  Does anyoen know the age to get the HPV vaccine?
I've heard it's between 12-26,and will be getting my dd vaccinated around her 13th birtday this spring.