Maternal & Child Community
? Anterior Placenta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

? Anterior Placenta

Hi I have two questions actually the first one is, well last night I had an ultrasound and the doctor said that I have an anterior placenta, (I think thats what she called it) when the placenta is at the front of my belly, in front of the baby, and I was just wondering if that is anything to be concerned or worried about. Now the other question is one of my friends is 2 weeks behind me, shes 18 weeks and she reckons that shes been feeling the baby move all over the place, shes been feeling it doing sumersaults and she reckons it feels like theres an ocean inside of her belly with all the swirling going on in there, oh and also she says that her partner can even feel it from the outside and that when she was eating last night she had the dinner plate rested on her belly and the plate was literally moving from the baby kicking it, now I thought I would have felt all that by now, I'll be 20 weeks on Thursday and I havn't felt anything like that, the only thing I have felt is spontaneous kicks every now and then, not actaully movement or anything like that and I thought that you usually feel movement first, but I just generally feels kicks, not all the time but just every now and then and its only when I'm getting up from sitting down. Why havn't I felt anything like my freind has, is something wrong or does it have something to do with the position of the anterior placenta?
Thank you!!!
from what i know an anterior placenta can affect how u feel the baby move and 18 weeks is a bit early to feel so much movement for first baby   some people do feel it ithat early but mot feel it between 18-22 to start ot move then stronger movements after that   i have also read that the placenta can change position during the course of the pregnancy
enjoy being pregnant and relax
With the anterior placenta, you won't feel as much.  If the baby is on the other side of the placenta, and kicking it, you should not feel it from the outside.  Dont worry!!!  Everyone's pregnancy is different!  
hi

i have an anterior placenta this pregnancy, this is my 3rd baby and 6th pregnancy, mine is partially covering the neck of the womb and my consultant is fairly convinced it will move as the baby grows. i will be having a detailed scan at 20 weeks (am currently 16w 4d) and will have a scan at 34w to check it has moved enough to allow a vaginal delivery, i have been feeling movement for a couple of weeks now like you though the odd kick here and there to let me know everything is ok, it isnt normally til quite abit later on that you feel a series of movements in a short space of time, and my dh could never feel the baby move until i was 24 weeks plus, don't worry i'm sure all is fine with bub! is you anterior placenta over the neck of the womb completely/partially?

claire
anterior means it is in the front, posterior means it is in the back, previa means it is either partially or completely covering the cervix.

with an anterior you will feel a bit less for now, but it doesn't impact your pregnancy one way or another from what i understand.

one of my twins has an anterior placenta that was also previa, but it grew away from the cervix, it's still anterior however.
Thanks guys for your inputs, it is really reassuring to hear that this is actually normal, although it will just take a little longer for me to be able to feel the baby move, atleast everything is alright, the doctor didn't go into detail about the placenta, all she said was that it was an anterior one and I sort of figured that thats the reason why I havn't been able to feel movements as much, but no matter!!!!
:)