Maternal & Child Community
DTAP VACCINE???
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

DTAP VACCINE???

Were concerned about combination vaccine DTAP and possible connection to developmental disabilities?  Has anyone found a way to get single doses of these vaccine versus combination shot?  Anyone else have this concern?  
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
I have the concern and have not yet broached the subject with my son's pediatrician.  I would bet that a parent who insists, can get the single doses instead of the combination.  In the meantime, do what you can to build up your child's immune system, including taking a lot of vitamin C if you are breastfeeding.  
Blank
Im pretty sure you can get individual...also wait till latest possible age they can get them
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
Does anyone happen to know how long you can go between the second and third shots?  We got concerned after my son reacted rather poorly to his 4-month shots, which were his second batch.  I've elected to delay and pick up his third round at about 9 or 10 months, not the 6 our HMO recommends.  Do you know if the pediatrician will deem that he needs to start all of them again if we have a 4- or 5-month lag in between the last two sets?
Blank
93532_tn?1349374050
The risk of diptheria is low, generally the risk for tetanus is low as well, but especially for Brooke, make sure he gets his pertussis. I am sure you see the frequent outbreaks of whooping cough in the Pacific Northwest and infancy is a very vulnerable time to get it and can often have catastrophic effects. I can vividly remember twice a year hearing of massive outbreaks in WA and ID where one kid had it, went to Chuck E Cheese (or some other popular location) and suddenly there would be an outbreak amongst the kids who weren't vaccinated.

My kids have never reacted poorly to their vaccinations, despite my sister reacting to her MMR back in the early 70's. I haven't had a reason to delay, but can understand the desire to do so.
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
Well, I wasn't planning to skip them, was just wondering how far out I could spread them without triggering a whole new round, per protocol at our HMO.  Augie is still breastfeeding, so he gest some protection from some things.  Before winter I plan to protect him against pertussis, and probably the whole set.  I think they vaccinate a little soon, is all.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...