Maternal & Child Community
? about IVF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

? about IVF

Me and my hubby have been talking about maybe doing IVF in about a year when iam done with school. well ladies and some guys have any of you or know of any body that has had IVF done, did it work the first time? ,about how much was the coast? ,If I do it what do I have to look forward to? and how long after does it take to get a pos. on a test? any advice please.
Thank you.
IVF costs will depend on your clinic, protocol (prescription drugs that vary a lot from person to person) and your insurance coverage.  It is an expensive process especially if your insurance does not cover it.  
Success rates for your age group are fairly high.  I was lucky to have ivf work for us on our first try but I also know many people who struggle through multiple ivf cycles.  IVF typically takes 2 months of which the first month is just a birth control month.  You will get a positive (if it worked) test 2 weeks after retrieval, on the day of your expected period just like on a natural cycle.
Good luck to you!
thank you for your advice.
If we hadn't used a donor, the cost for our IVF tries would have run maybe about $18,000 the first time and maybe $12,000 for any try with frozen embryos left from the first time.  Generally speaking, health insurance doesn't cover IVF, though a few lucky ladies on the site have three tries covered by their insurance.  (This is different in Britain and maybe in other countries, and I think I have heard in New Jersey also.)  

You have talked about your desire for a girl -- with IVF, there is no gender selection.  (In fact, I've often wondered if there is a slightly greater chance of a boy, since they pick the "best looking embryos" to put in, and that might mean the strongest and most vigorous growers, which might bias toward male embryos.)  I have heard of one IVF clinic that advertises sex selection, but that is something of an ethics grey area, and you always have to wonder about a clinic willing to bend the implicit rules.

Good luck, I know the decision-making here is really tough.  
I want a girl so bad, but at this point Iam willing to chance the fact we might get a boy. another boy wouldnt be bad either. but we cant adopt to get a girl, so we are going to have to take what we can get. whitch either one is fine with me.