Maternal & Child Community
chromosome 20 (trisomy)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

chromosome 20 (trisomy)

Hi, I don't know where to find this to post but I need your help, if you know about the chromosome 20 Trisomy, it is my first time now since I had the 2nd miscarriages in a row from Jan. to May 2007 at 9 weeks, the fetus was 6 weeks. The miscarriages were the same that happened the second time we found from the results on the tissue last week, I have copy and paste from the dr. email:  

"An abnormal female chromosome complement with an additional chromosome 20 (trisomy 20) was observed."

"Autosomal trisomy is the most common abnormal finding in products of conception and may be associated with an increased risk for a viable trisomy in future pregnancies. Trisomy 20 comprises approximately 3.5% of the autosomal trisomies seen in abortuses. Genetic counseling is recommended."

Humans are composed of 23 pairs of chromosomes - 46 total - which includes 22 pairs of autosomal chromosomes (numbered 1-22) and 1 pair of sex chromosomes. The baby that miscarried was a girl who, instead of having only 2 chromosomes for number 20 had 3 (trisomy). Down's Syndrome is trisomy 21 so this wasn't the same thing.

When you were born you had about 250,000 eggs in both of your ovaries. Your body started "using those up" when you started having periods in which you ovulated. It should make sense that, as time goes on, the eggs that are used first are the ones that have the most normal genetic content. So, as you get older, i.e. more than 35 years, the remaining eggs are more likely to have genetic problems like trisomy 20. Each egg has a slightly different genetic content. That's why your two boys look different even though they have the same mother and father.

Ok, I am 40 now and a mother of my own 2 healthy children with the same father....would like to have another one more baby, we've been waiting for the baby to come in our family since like 2005 and still nothing yet, and now found why I was miscarrying twice in a row.  I wonder anyone of you went through this before and please share with me, what would the genetic counseling have to do with me and my husband? Let me know, please.
Here's my unofficial opinion.  I think if you google "Trisomy 20" you will probably find information.  Some birth defects are sex linked and thus carried by one parent and not the other.  I think in such cases, the genetic counselor  recommends using donor eggs or sperm, depending upon who is carrying the problem chromosome.  Perhaps  the genetic counseling is a good idea, since this process is so painful?  God bless!
I am going something similar to yours, Im 40 years old too, I have a healthy girl and now pregnant with my second baby, had a blood test and was positive for down syndrome, then met with a genetic counselor and all they do is just have some history about you and your husband, if any of your side or his has children with a ds or any other defects, then they give u the options of going for amnio or level II ultrasound, I did go for the u/s and they said everything was normal except for that the babies bowels were shinny, I am not going for an amnio or anything else, to be honest I did go through horrible time and cried my heart out for a while then I decided to leave it to God cause I cant harm my baby even if there is something wrong, I am now 20 weeks pregnant and I just pray the baby is fine and healthy, I did hear that a lot that when someone miscarry once or twice that your utures doesnt hold the baby if it is deformed or something is really bad with it, I feel what you are going through and all I can say is, just read about it here online and u talk to a counselor if u want and dont stop trying if u really want a third baby, have faith in God and just pray that the next pregnancy will be fine and that you go to the end of the term

take care
Ok, we do not have any genetic history in both of our sides, I mean we all look normal like everyone else.  That can be a maternal age due to possibly poor eggs, I'm not sure what.  My 2 healthy children (boys) are 6-9 years old and were born perfectly fine.  I am glad that we are going in for a genetic counseling.  I just wanted to know what kind of counseling they do to me and my husband, like genetic testing on us?  I'm sad knowing that the results said it was a girl, if she was growing perfectly inside me to term, we would have been so HAPPY.  I feel like running out of time because I am already 40 last Nov.

Anyone, keep this coming and I want to hear your experiences.  Please!  
This may or may not help, I am 20 years old and just finished biology 30 and what it sounds like to me is a gentic problem from the father on the X chromosome.  Since you have 2 prefectly healthy boys it sounds like something is going with the males X chromosome which produces a girl.  I will ask my biology teacher on June 11th and ask her about this trisomy 20 and get back to you on it.  But what happens when there is 3 chromosomes instead of 2 is because of a malfunction in spliting of the chromosomes in the X chromosome sperm in my opinion.  I feel for your losses, and dont worry about running out of time.  Wish you the best of luck!
Hey there,

Read your post and just had two friends who both had false positives on their tests. There is a high occurance of this. My dr said even if there is a positive most likely the baby is fine. Good for you for sticking to your plan
Thank you so much for replies, I really appreicate that.  Do you think that this can be fixed if possible, then like what it is?

Please keep this coming so, I want to know more details from you.