Maternal & Child Community
? on breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

? on breastfeeding

I have had my baby a week and a half she has been breastfeeding from me for the first few days then she stopped so the doc. told me to feed her with the bottle also now she isnt eating from the breast anymore any suggestions>? I tried the pump but there was no milk or nothing coming out. can someone please help.!! it`s driving me nuts. Thanx Ladies!
I have heard that babies will prefer to eat from a bottle if it is offered.  I would suggest to you that you be persistant if you want to go back to breastfeeding.  I have been told by the nurses that you should be careful about pacifiers too because of the same problem.  When I was breastfeeding I had a hard time with the pumping option too.  I did try looking at my baby when I would be pumping and that seemed to help.  I also had noticed that it got easier the more I did it but at first I could not get more than half an ounce out.  Good Luck
Contact LaLecheLeague in your area for suggestions on boosting your milk supply.  So the dr suspects she refuses the breast b/c there is nothing coming out??
right the doc. said since there was nothing coming out i should use the bottle...
have you spoken to a lactation consultant? they can provide a lot of answers as well as support. did you pump only once or are you continuing to try? are you still attempting nursing? i would recommend you continue trying to nurse. supplement with a bottle afterwards to make sure she's getting enough, if that's a concern. if she absolutely refuses to nurse but you are determined, then pump to stimulate your supply until you can get help from a lc. if you stop now, even for a day, it will be hard to recover your supply.
also, just because nothing comes out when you pump does not mean there's nothing there. some women don't respond well to the pump. what pump are you using? how often are you pumping? that info can help me answer your question.
i only pumped a few times i stopped 2 days ago b.c nothing was coming out and i got upset.. this is my first baby so im not quite sure about what to do with the breastfeeding thing. but i really want to breastfeed my baby. I will be calling the LC tomorrow from the hospital and see what they say. and even if tghey could help... I`m hoping so b.c I really wanted to breastfeed...I have an evenflo breast pump.. i will continue the pump for now b.c the baby will not latch on to suck or nothing so i will see tomorrow what the LC says.. Thanx I will let you know whats going on when i talk with the LC.. Thanx again everyone...
Good luck to you. If you cant do it, dont feel bad!!!  It's not your fault.  Hopefully the LC can help you out too.
ok... while you wait to talk to the lc, keep pumping. that way you'll have some milk for when she works with you on the baby's latch. unfortunately, this early on, you need to pump as often as you would nurse to build up a supply. that means 8-10 times a day. even if you're not getting much, the stimulation will tell your body to produce milk. it takes several days of nursing or good pumping habits to see a difference in your production. be sure to pump at least once between 1 and 5 am, as that is when your prolactin levels are the highest and most people get more milk during that session. ask the lc if the evenflo is good enough to establish your supply- i suspect not. good luck and i really hope you get to nurse.
by the way, i am very disappointed that the doctor didn't recommend an LC to you when you started to have problems.  he should have been more supportive and encouraging of your efforts to breastfeed.
yes alot of people have said that he should of done more and hve support but he did not. I really want to breastfeed and i will be pumping at least every 2 hours maybe 1.5 hours if i can.. thanx again
Your pump might not be good enough to keep your supply up though. You might need a hospital grade pump at first to establish your supply. This is what I had to do. I had to pump for 3 weeks while I waited for my son to be able to take the breast when he was in the NICU. Now he nurses great and loves it. I am disappointed that your doctor told you to give a bottle and not contact a LC. That is a shame. Keep pumping and do not give up if this is what you want to do it will work out. The beginning is hard whether you pump or nurse exclusively. They nurse very often in the beginning as well as you having to pump frequently like tiredbuthappy said. It is crucial for you to keep doing it. I hope this works out for you. It's the best thing. Good luck!
I say give it everyone effort you have, but you need to make sure you have a support system.  I tried to breastfeed my two youngest but my husbands answer to the problems we had was "just give em a bottle" and "if it's THAT bad just stop"  yeah, lots of support THERE.  Anyway, I managed to do a little of both for a few months with each...but my problems stem from genetic barriers.  The women in my family have a very hard time establishing a good milk supply and an inverted nipple didn't help.  Get all the info you can and try to find other women who understand to support you.
Thanx you all here help me out alot and my husband is very supportive.. i will continue b.c i really want to breastfeed
sometimes the first time you pump nothing comes out.  try again if it hasnt been too long.  you may be surprised at the results after you pump a few more times.  also see the thread about fenugreek.
once you bring in the formula, your milk naturally cuts down and baby preffers the taste of the formula.
alot of women are gonna beat on me because i will say this, but i have HEARD that if you drink a couple of cans of beer, your milk will start again and much stronger . ask your doctor.
hey i heard that also.. but im not a drinker never been and i will never start so not drinks or cigs for me.. Thanx for the advice n info... yes they may beat on you.. lol everyone has opinions and all...
I didnt read all the previous threads so I'm sorry if I duplicate here.  My pediatrician also told me to stop breastfeeding and give her formula.  I told him to kiss my a*s..I found a new pedi.  My point is, when a new mom is told to stop breatsfeeding they do because they listen to the doc.  I am telling you-go get your pump right now and start pumping.  Do you have a good one? Did your milk ever come in?  My hospital had a lactation consultant that I went to see for only 40 bucks when my baby was 8 weeks old.  (private consultants are expensive!) She showed me PROPER latching and pumping techniques.  She also told me to take 3 tablets 3 times of day of fenugreek and blessed thistle.  This doubled my milk supply in 24 hours.  Spend the next week pumping pumping pumping.  First latch on your baby and try to feed (then give bottle until problem is fixed) then pump after every feeding.  I had to do a lot of work but I am still breastfeeding at 8 mo.  I have had a lot of trouble w/breatsfeeding but have been very successful with hard work.  PLease email me if you have any questions!  
i have an evenflo pump.. the LC said bthey suck real bad.. so she said buy a new modela or i can rent one from the hosp. so i may rent the hosp. mone unttil my milk supply comes in then continue once i have my supply up on my own evenflo....my baby will latch on and let go after a few sec. b.c there is nothing really comiong out prob. my milk did come in the first week then my breast got realy hard the LC said that wasnt good so i will have to work a lil harder for my supply to rebuild again...i will continue to try b.c i realy do want to breastfeed. but she didnt say nothing about the tablets.. thanx for the info ..
I highly recommend at least renting one and not wasting another minute.  It's so good that you want to keep trying but the longer you wait the harder it will be to get your supply back...I have the Medela and it's great.
yes im going to try and go today to get the rented one lactina from the hosp. b.c i would rather breastfeed than formula feed b.c to me breastfeeding is best my own opinion.. and i`d like to begin right away hopefully wont be to hard b.c she is only 2 weeks today..
Good for you!  and dont forget to go to the healthfood store and get those herbs!
oh yes i will thanx for your help,.. can i add you to friends?
of course!  What is that and how does it work?  I'm new around here!  :0)
oh, I think I figured it out...I knew there was a place to message people...let me know how the new pump works...Happy Pumping!
i will thanx