Maternal & Child Community
ultrasound showed cysts on baby's brain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

ultrasound showed cysts on baby's brain

Today I had my first ultrasound and was absolutely thrilled to hear the news that I am having a BOY!! However, after taking some measurements, the Doctor found 2 cysts on each side of his brain and told me that that was a characteristic of down syndrome!!! My heart completely dropped and I started to cry! I am 24 years old, 22 weeks along (5months and 2 weeks) and this is my first baby. I can't help but worry, even though my blood tests for down syndrome came back negative! Please, if anyone out there has anything to say, as far as advice/ medical or non, or calming words.... please respond. Is this common? If so, how likely is it for the cysts to disappear??? I would rather hear the truth (to be prepared).
i dont know from experiance but my sister in law is pregnant with a boy too and he has a cyst on his brain too. and she has to see a specialist once a month and he told her that it will go away on its own. so we will see this month if anything has changed. his kidnees (sp?)  are off on there messerments too. so i wish you the best and good luck
I posted on this subject several weeks ago.  My daughter's dance teacher had the same thing happen and was worried sick.  Her dr told her that in most cases they resolve on their own.  Also MANY people in this forum responded with similar situations all with positive outcomes.  I'm happy to say that her dance teacher went in 4 weeks later for another u/s and they were gone.  Please, please stay positive.  I know it's hard not to worry but honestly, I haven't heard of one bad outcome from the cysts.  Good luck and please keep us posted.
Choroid plexus cysts are very common. 1-2% of all pregnancies these are found. My daughter had them and she is now a very normal, healthy 8 year old. There is a slightly higher association with Trisomy 18 and 21 (Down's), but not likely. Look up the term-you will find a wealth of information on it and hopefully that eases your worries. I was a wreck when I found out and later realized it was for no reason! Do you have any further testing planned? We did a level 2 ultrasound which checked for signs of T18 and 21 and those obviously all came back normal. Good luck and try not to worry!
That happened to my son as well for our 20 week ultrasound. We went back a few weeks later and the cyst was gone. Like the person said above they usually go away on its own. My son was born 3 weeks ago and he is a healthy baby boy!
my now 4 year old had a right choroid plexus cyst in her brain when I was 21 weeks...they sent me to a maternal fetal medicine doc who said not to worry it would resolve itself.  So I went home and researched and found that the majority of them do.  At my next scan at 31 weeks it was gone and she is now a happy, healthy 4 year old.
i also have recently posted about this but only recieved one answer (thank you GA!)...  we are also having our 1st boy and at our u/s last friday it showed that he also has a cyst (CPC) but also that he has echogenic foci in the right ventrical of his heart.  both are soft markers for down syndrome and we have been told that both should disappear on their own.  i have another appointment on the 29th scheduled for another u/s and a fetal chocardiagram, too.  i will let you know how our's turns out.

also, i've been told that their are no other abnormalities and my 1st trimester screen came back normal as well...  that's why our doctor isn't worried.........  but of course we are and we get to wait another 3 weeks to get any news!
When I was pregnant with my twins, they both had cysts in their brains. While it can be a marker for down's (and that is debatable among the medical world), it is most likely (highly likely in fact) that this will clear up within a few weeks. My boys' cysts cleared before my next appointment--and they are healthy! Try not to worry. I am sure all will be okay with your baby.

I had this happen to me at 20 weeks. I was soo scared. At 24 weeks, the cyst was gone. Now I have a beautiful 5 month old son.
Thank you so much for your words! I'm sure that everything will be fine! I guess that as a new Mom to be, I can't help but worry, however, I do feel a bit more at ease reading all of your replies to my post. THANK YOU AGAIN! I'll keep you all posted with any news regarding my little one! -Happy Valentines Day- hope your day is filled with love and joy!
i have a 10 month old lil boy and at my 20 week scasn they sed he was fine.. i went back for a growth scan and was told he had two cysts one on either side oif his brain and was told he had a club foot... they told me my lil man could have downs edwars or spina bifida... when i had him guess wat he was fine nothin wrong just a club foot wich is being treated... hes doing everythin he should be and is well advanced he is under a consultant for the cysts and gets checked on every 3 mnths.. but so far so good, so i wouldnt worry too much after i had lewis he had a scan an the cysts wer still there they told me he could have learning difficultys or coordination problems and he hasnt hes doing fantastic... the only thing is hes a big baby but we have been told this is nothing to do with the cysts... hes proved docters wrong and im sure your lil man will too... i wish u all the luck in the world and if u ever need to contact me just drop me email on stacy_libby***@****
stacy xxxxx
i hope everything turns out good for you.did you take folic acid while TTC?
I just had my 20 week u/s today and I too was shown that my baby girl (3rd girl) has 2 identical cysts on each side of her brain (mirror image cysts). The fetal maternal med specialist told me that they are quite common now (seen in over 5 percent). Because my quad screen test came back with low afp levels, I had an amnio done 2 wks ago(came back normal), they said there's no concern for Downs,spinal issues, etc. and that these cysts will disappear on their own soon. I know it is all so scary when it's happening to you and your little angel but, just stay positive because i've found everything seems to work out well in the end plus, once that baby is here, it's ALL worth the stresses. Take care of you and God Bless!
I do not know if anyone post to this forum any more. I guess because I have been reading and crying I just need to write something. I am 16weeks pregnant a had a lvl 2 ultrasound.  We found out we are having a boy after three little girls. We also found out the baby has CPC, a small calcium build up on his heart (which are both very common from what the doctor told us and from what i have been reading) but he also has or may have club feet. (i cant remember for the life of me what the Doctor said) and the baby's arms are straight in front of him and look to be turned outward. We had an amino and it came back within normal range, no tri 18 or downs. I am at a lose and don't know what to do or ask.

i have a similar problem i was 27 weeks pregnate when the doctor told me  he had seen my baby had choroid plexus cyst, i didnt know what that was i was so scared up to this month i am 30 weeks now and in this last ultrasound the doctor told me that it went away...so as what i know its never 100 percent sure that the babys will come out fine but ive done alot of research and its very normal for a fetus to go through this most outcome is good its only a part of some babys developement so good luck and im with you on this one im still  scared even though they told me my baby is fine..
I am glad i found this site.. I am 21 weeks pregnant, and at my last appointment i was told my baby boy had a brain cyst... i was devastated. i started to cry and was upset with my self! i believed that maybe i did something wrong and because of that i was being punished! i go to church and was praying and stil pray til this day.. i am sure and have faith that the lord will save my baby boy.. and that my baby will be healthy!!! now im nore sure of it being that i read all of these postings..    
                Thanks to all.. and god bless all of your babies and your families!!    many blessings to all!!!
When I was pregnant I went to find out what the sex of my bundle of joy was. Right then and their they told me I was having a baby girl. I was so excited, but they wanted me back in two weeks or so for another ultra sound. I went back they did all measurements then after they made me sit in a tiny room with no windows with the door shut till the doctor came in to talk. Well I found out my daughter had a cyst on her brain and her one kidney was not working currently, which were both signs of down syndrome. I freaked out, they had me on watch, I was 6 months pregnant and had a csection scheduled since she was too big. They kept keeping an eye on it and it never went away. All my test came back negative for downs but those two things were still there. I had my daughter in July 2011 and I asked them about it and they said it's nothing to worry about. Now she is about to be 7 months old and I'm starting to worry. Her head is in the 20% for size, it's too small, and she keeps making the oddest faces and gets angry pretty easily. I've talked to her doctor and they give me 1million excuses not to get her tested so I've gone to others and I can't find one doctor that will make sure her cyst is gone and her kidney is better. She pees fine but it's the cyst I'm worried about the most. But best of luck!
I have the exact same combination markers  in my anatomy ultrasound. I am waiting for amnio and microarray test.

I am totally at a loss at this point. Any input and experience sharing will be much appreciated.