Maternal & Child Community
1 wk old constipated & gas

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

1 wk old constipated & gas

My daughter is 1w2d & has not had a bowel since yesurday.She is formula feeding due to meds (op delivery,very hard labor).And is very constipated,she moans & is very unconfortable.This is very odd concidering she used to go every feeding.Also I think she has gas.When I do feed her,her tummy sounds like its rumbling & its hard to burp her.My ? is what is safe to give her for her constipation & gas?Thanks Adriana
She can have mylicon drops for gas. It can also help to have a bm. At this age, you will have changes in her bms. It will not be for a few weeks that you notice what may be "normal" for her. A warm water bottle to her tummy may help. Also, be sure she burps every couple of ounces. Try different positions with her and even lying across your lap on tummy to burp. I had the best success with mine by sitting them in my lap and holding their chin in my right hand and burping with my left-keeping their back straight. It is hard to tell if they're really constipated unless their belly is very large and distended/tight. It may just be a new pattern for her. Best wishes to you.
My son is almost 16 years old now and honestly I don't know how much infant formula has changed but I will tell you what we went through, perhaps it may offer you insight.

At a little over 1 week old my formula fed son became constipated...we knew it was more than gas because he hadn't had a bm and he was screaming/crying and kicking his little legs straight out (to the point that his legs turned red!) for hours on end. Finally, my mom went to the drugstore and bought infant gylcerin suppositories. I was strongly opposed to the whole idea (I could not find this advice in any of my books) but his intense pain and mom's persistence finally changed my mind. My mom laid my son across her lap on his little tummy, removed his diaper inserted the suppository and held it there just a few minutes until he had a bm. Instant relief for my poor son! Peace and harmony was once again in balance in our home!

Our next step was to identify the culprit in his diet which was causing the constipation. For my son, it was Iron. I had to change his formula to low-iron for the next several months until he was able to tolerate it.

We also did all of the old wives-tale remedies...light karo syrup in the bottle, warm bottles of water on the tummy, peppermint water, etc...but the most effective method was adjusting his diet.

I hope this helps! Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!
Infant probiotics from the health-food store can also help the baby with digestive issues.  They tested very favorably vs. Mylicon in recent research.
ask your dr later on NOT NOW while the baby is so young -
if you can use glycerin suppositories for occasional constipation.
but the best regularity advice is to offer plenty of water
my daughter is breastfed but when she was in her first couple of weeks she didn´t have a bm for 2 days and I called the dr. and she said it can take up to 5 days and they don´t worry unless they baby is really upset.. anyway call the dr if you need to
No-one's mentioned gripe water yet - that's the remedy we've always used in our household for colic.  I know there's different medications for trapped gas in different parts of the bowel but this one has almost always worked, on two generations of babies (thank goodness).
And honeybee had the right idea about the other problems: glycerine suppositories (infant size, 1 gram) are the least addictive and quickest acting remedy out there.  Pop one of those up there and I guarantee it'll make her do a dooey in a minutes!