Maternal & Child Community
10 month old who doesn't crawl?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

10 month old who doesn't crawl?

So my best friends little girl is 10 months old and she still isn't crawling.. my daughter crawled at 7 months and I know that .. that is early but by 10 months isn't she suppose to be crawling? she doesn't move at all.. no scooting or anything.. I'm a bit worried.. and so is her mom.  I think she feels kind of resentful of Aubree.. since Aubree was walking at 10 months and her little girl isn't crawling yet.. every time she comes over she always says how emmalee( her little girl) is so behind aubree and i tried to tell her every baby is different.
Well, not all babies crawl.  Some go straight to walking.  I don't even think that crawling is considered a "milestone" just for that fact.  If she is worried, she should take her to her ped and discuss it.  Most babies will figure out ways to get around, and sometimes crawling is just too much of a hassle.  I personally wouldn't be worried, but thats just me.
My first didn't crawl until he was 14 mos and walked at 17 mos, and he has been diagnosed is Global Developmental Delays. However, I would not be worried about her daughter unless she was showing signs of being delayed in other areas.

I copied this from Dr.greene.com

Rolling over, sitting without support, cruising (walking along furniture), and walking independently are important developmental milestones. Crawling isn't.

DrGreene Content

Crawling

My 7 1/2 month old grandson isn't crawling yet. Although he sits alone, he doesn't seem much interested in moving around on his stomach. My daughter has tried to show him how to crawl by moving his arms and legs, but he just gets upset. He even cries when he's placed on his stomach. Any advice? Alberta L. Richetelle Farmington, Connecticut

During the 20th century we have begun to understand the process of normal child development. It's exciting to know what to expect at different stages, and to be able to relate to children more appropriately.

One downside of this newfound knowledge is the increased tendency to compare children both to each other and to average ages of attaining developmental milestones. We feel proud when a child is ahead of his peers, and are concerned when he seems to lag behind. The philosopher's stone of child development is found when we realize that the charts and tables are nothing more than stereotypes. Each individual child develops and blossoms in his own way, at his own pace.

This is our goal: to provide a nurturing environment where a child can develop at his optimum pace. We don't want to hurry him; we do want to encourage him. We also want to identify anything that may be an obstacle in his path.

Crawling isn't even mentioned in my favorite pediatric development textbook!

This seems strange since, of any of these behaviors, crawling is most associated with babies. The truth is many babies never crawl! They do need to find some way to move across the floor. Each will do so at unpredictable times and in distinctive ways. Your grandson may be a scooter, one who likes to stay upright and scoot across the floor on his bottom. Many babies prefer creeping, or wriggling forward on the stomach. Many children will crab-crawl, moving backwards. And, of course, many children will get up on all fours and crawl forward in the traditional way. Each child is unique.

Some adults are concerned that children who don't crawl in the traditional way will be less coordinated. This is a myth. As long as the baby begins to move across the floor using each arm and each leg, there is no cause for concern.

I'm reluctant to mention time frames, but somewhere between six and ten months I expect babies to discover some way to move horizontally across the floor to get desired objects. Obstacles to this include the child's not spending enough time on the floor, using an infant walker (which often eliminates the desire to learn crawling behaviors -- infant walkers are bad for proper development), having toys brought to the infant, pushing the child to learn to crawl, and physical problems such as muscle weakness. If babies actually crawl, it usually begins at around 8 to 10 months.

Crawling – and moving in general - may be encouraged by spending time on the floor with the baby (called “tummy time” by many parenting resources). Consider placing favorite toys just out of reach, putting a dog-bone pillow or a rolled towel under his chest when he's on his stomach to keep his head up so he can look around and enjoy himself more when on his stomach, or putting a hand behind his feet to give him something to push against if he tries to crawl.
Well my son was crawling at 7 and a half months and walking at 11 months. Had to check the baby book to be accurate. He was actually behind too. Doctor said he was on time but he was behind his cousin who was the same age. He liked to make sure he had things down before he would even try though. He would inspect how things are done and he was behind but when he did do it he did it perfectly. He just got up and rean accross the room one day. I was amazed. Your friends baby might be the sam way only it still does seem a little too late for not even scooting or anything. DOes she work with her baby on it? does she try to show her how and get her up doing it? i know these days, lots of moms work and don't get to spend the time with their babies as they want. If she does work, she needs to talk to the babysitter about working with her. Babies don't just do things automatically though, they have to learn meaning somone must teach them to do these things. If she does work with her and no progress have her take her baby to the doctor to see what could be holding her back. Don't know if at 10 months a doctor would be able to determine that but that's all I can suggest.
i don't think it's anything to worry about yet.  my son crawled at almost 8 months...my friend's son crawled at 9 months.  mine took his first steps on his first b day, which is about average..but some babies don't walk until 15 months and it's perfectly fine.  she should bring it up to her pedi if she's concerned, but i wouldnt worry yet.
I dont think its anything to worry about! Ethan never crawled, and just started walking...but at 9.5months....Every baby is different!!!
My son wasn't crawling or scooting, even, at his 9 month check up.  Our ped referred us to our local birth-three program who evaluated him and and said he had gross motor delay and tight calf muscles which would prevent him from walking correctly without treatment.  Our birth-to-three people were great!  The service was covered by our insurance, but if you are not insured their fees are very minimal and based on income.  The physical therapist came to our home one time per week and started him on stretches for his muscles and simulated the crawling sequence with his body.  Within a month he was crawling, and within two months he was taking his first steps.  They taught us how to do the stretches with him daily.  It was amazing!!!!  He was successfully discharged from the program after about 4 months.  But I know I can call them anytime if we have more questions or concerns.

In my opinion it CAN be an issue if the child isn't moving by 10 mos.  I'd rather be proactive and have it checked out than find out later that something is wrong.  The birth to three program is self-referral (don't need a dr to do it).  Local social services should be able to direct you.  In addition to PT, they evaluated my son's speech and language development, too.  It was a very reassuring process!
both my boys didnt crawl till they were over a yr. my first one crawed at 13 mos walked at 15mos, my 2nd crawed at 12 and a hafe mos walked at 13mos, every baby is differnt, my nefew crawed at 4mos but didnt walk till 14mos. iam sure every thing is fine good luck
I've wondered about this same thing with my own daughter (who is just about 9 1/2 months old now)... she hasn't started crawling yet and at first I was worried, but when I spoke with her pediatrician about it, she expressed a lot of what has already been mentioned above (ie:  not all babies will crawl... some will skip right to walking... etc).  

However, for the past few months, my daughter has been cruising around the floor using other tactics such as scooting along on her bottom or most recently she puts herself into an "almost" crawl position and leans WAYYYYY forward to reach a toy (which usually results in her tipping over onto her belly), but either way she does show the initiative to move and reach objects.  As her friend, that might be the one thing you could mention to her.. I don't think the lack of crawling would be concerning, but the fact that her daughter doesn't seem to have any desire to move at all (whether it be scooting, crawling, reaching, etc) might be something worth talking to a doctor about.  It could be absolutely nothing at all to worry about but I can understand where you/she may be worried.  
My son never crawled. He would get on his back and scoot backwards. He has a phd and teaches at Vanderbilt university.  So the connection between crawling and brain development is so incorrect. He just found another way to accomplish the same thing.