Maternal & Child Community
10 weeks, fetus 10 weeks but no heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I went for my first u/s when I was 10 weeks & 5 days. The midwife verified the size & development of fetus also 10 weeks & 5 days, however we could not trace a heartbeat. Also had a transvaginal u/s with the same result. This means that the fetus died that day or night previously. This is all too much for me to comprehend. The gyno confirmed diagnosis. Since 3 days I no longer feel pregnant & am now waiting to miscarry. I am overwhelmed with emotions & tried to continue working, however could not so therefore I am at home with my daugther (2 y/o) How long will it take to Miscarry? I want to let nature take its course, however I have an appt at the gyno on Thurs (2 weeks after no hb traced) to discuss D&C etc. Has anyone been in the same situation????
I have not been in exactly the same situation, but I was 12 weeks when I miscarried last week.  I know how heartbreaking it is not to see a heartbeat, so I can sympathize with you there.  I ended up miscarrying, very suddenly, and naturally.  It went really quickly.  But, if you're not miscarrying naturally and your baby has died, it will be important to get the D&C.  It was explained to me that it's much more dangerous not to have the D&C because you risk getting an infection that may put your fertility in danger.  Good luck.  I wish there was more I could say to ease your pain, but I know there isn't.
I was technically 13 weeks pregnant and went in for a routine
Ultrasound only to find baby stopped developing in the 8th week. Doctors say the statistic of this happening is 1%, but I'll tell yah- there are alot of women on this board with similar circumstances. I ended up having a D&C, but it was primarily because I couldn't take it emotionally any longer.

In your shoes- I would ask for a followup ultrasound before I had a D&C- just to make sure.

I'm so sorry for you loss.  I too went through the same diagnosis at 10 weeks, except I was told it was a blighted ovum.  I was given the option to miscarry naturally or D&C.  I wish I had gone the natural route.  That way there would be no wondering if there was a misdiagnosis.  I have read cases of that up to 12 weeks.  I had heard horror stories of miscarrying naturally and that is why I had the D&C.  Looking back, I would have rather had that than the wondering if the doctor could have been wrong.  I had a friend who was told at 9 weeks that her baby had no heartbeat.  Since she was bleeding like a period, the doctor told her to go home and miscarry naturally without a D&C.  Well, that baby is now 3 yrs. old.  Is there a chance that you could have ovulated late?  I know that on midwife dopplers, the heartbeat can take up to 13 weeks to be heard.  Ultrasounds the heartbeat can be detected much earlier like 7 wks, but they also can be wrong too.  It has been almost a year and a half and I haven't gotten pregnant yet.  I just hope that I don't have scarring from the D&c which can happen in 40% of cases (see ashermans.org).  I also did the D&C because I was told like you that a natural miscarriage could cause more scarring and infertility.  After much research, I am finding that is not true.  If you miscarry naturally, just make sure that the doctor does a vaginal ultrasound afterwards to make sure there is no tissue left.  If there is tissue left and not taken out, then that is when it can cause scarring.  Most times everything comes out.  In some cases, a D&C might need to be done to get out remaining tissue.  Even though this can be very hard, it is better than wondering for the rest of your life if the doctor could have been wrong in his diagnosis.  I wish you the best.  Let us know how it goes.  We are a team of loving supportive women.
So sorry for your loss.  I know in my situation, I opted to have a d&c.  I had gone for an ultrasound that showed fetal demise on the Monday, and by the time I had the d&c on Saturday, the fetal tissue had completely discinigrated - so I have no lingering doubts about whether the baby had passed or not.  Take care of yourself.
I had this happen to me too. I was supposed to be about 12 weeks, but my baby only developed to 7 weeks, 1 day. I scheduled a D & C for a week after I found out. I ended up having a complete miscarriage 5 days later, so the D & C was not needed. By scheduling the D & C, I was able to give my body a chance to miscarry on it's own, but I knew that I would not have to wait longer than a week for it to happen. I think the waiting and not knowing is the worst part. I'm sorry for you loss. Take care!
Thank you all for your comments. It is a great help to read about others in similar situations. I  went to work last week, but only lasted 2 1/2 days as the emotions are so strong & confronting. It will be 2 weeks since the fetus has died tomorrow & have no signs of miscarrying yet.I have an appt with the gyno tomorrow & am afraid, as I have to make a decision, or be clear in what I want. I feel that my body has let me down by not miscarrying naturally.
I am intrigued to see how the gyno reacts tomorrow.
Thank you all for your support
I have just returned from the Gyno. I have made an appt for a D&C next Friday, so have a week time for my body to miscarry naturally which I hope will happen. This was the most difficult decision of my life. I am anxious to know how the D&C is.  I have an appointment with the Anaesthestist tomorrow to talk about the anaesthetic.
DOCTORS SAY it is best to have a d&c if your pregnancy is over 6 weeks... (d&c makes sure there is no tissue left behind that could cause infections ect...)
Hi i am 10 weeks pregnant and on Thursday i started bleeding (it lookedmlike old blood brown coloured) then on friday afternoon the bleeding became red and heavier. i had a U/S which showed nothing at first and ten an hour of trying found a small beep like effect flashing dot but no sign of a baby. the midwife at our very rural hospital could comment as their U/S machine was not as up to date as a city hospitals. She thinks the baby has died but doesn't know i have to wait on an appointment fom a city hospital.

When i move about the bleeding increases slightly and if i move around slowly or just sit about the bleeding almost ceases completely. i have had no serious cramping no sign of tissue just blood sometimes browny sometimes red.

The midwife commented that i may have a uterus that folds over on itself and we just can see the baby but she thinks that there may be a yolk sac at the botton of the dark area on ultrasound but if so i can not be 10weeks pregnant as the size is to small. but we were trying to get pregnant used clear blue ovulation kit so i am definitely 10 weeks.

i do not know what to think what to say to my husband. i have absolutely no idea at all to what is happening if any one can bring any light to our situation it would be much appreciated.

thank you
Well I am one relieved person today. It all happened naturally last night & I have not experienced any excrutiating pains at all. Since Friday night I've had light cramping, but just like you receive when you expect your period. The fetus was perfect, a boy (it was very clear to see, too small for the U/S I think) I'm now just bleeding, but feel like I have my period. It feels like a massive weight has been lifted. I was shocked at first, but we have had 2+ weeks to realize what was going to happen if nature took its course. I feel for all you ladies out there who were overcome with a spontaneous m/c. That would be a shock.
I will now try to get my rest & recouperate physically which will be a lot quicker than emotionally. I can't wait to call the gyno to cancel the D&C. I was fearing that. I'll now just wait for my control at the gyno in a fortnight & hope that I don't end up with a D&C afterall
I miscarried on MOnday evening & didn't experience any discomfort, however did retrieve the fetus & passed the sac etc... Tuesday night & Wednesday night have been disturbed by toilet visits every hour as  I have heavy bleeding. Wednesday night was also accompanied by heavy cramping. Is my uterus shrinking causing these pains, as I have already expelled the fetus, a lot of tissue & clots. I have an appt with the gyno today & am anxious if the U/S is clear to see if all has been expelled.
Sorry for your loss. I too had a miscarriage after my 12th week. The doctor told me that the fetus did not progress past the 8th week and encouraged me to have the D&C procedure immediately. However, my husband would not agree to a procedure that he had never heard of. My husband then fully research the enitre procedure and talked to several physicians, who gave mixed reviews of the necessity of a D&C. Some doctors went as far as to state that the D&C may have a negative effect on future pregnancy's if not performed correctly.
Nevertheless, we decided to forgo the D&C and let nature take its coarse. I am now 10 weeks pregnant again and very affraid of the upcoming ultra Sound.
The moral of my story is to seek advice from many different sources and do your homework before taking the doctor's advise. Remeber, not too long ago, Doctor's used to percribe cigarettes to relieve the affects of the common cold and the flu. Look how wrong they turned out to be....
"If you fail to plan---you plan to fail"
Vonz, I'm sorry for your loss.  I commend you for waiting things out naturally.  I really think it is healthier for the body.  I wish I had waited things out naturally.  It helps us other women to hear how it goes naturally and encourages us if we ever have to go through that ( I pray non of us do).  It has been almost 1 1/2 yrs. since my D&C and no new pregnancies yet.  I really think it is not good for the body.  I wish you all the best and future happy pregnancies!
We had an appt with the gyno & transvaginal U/S & she could only see 2 spots, close to the cervix, so she hoped they were blood. I have stopped bleeding, only have spotting, so hopefully its all over. I have a follow up appt at the end of Aug.
We did not leave the fetus at the hospital as they send it to the lab for tests which 99% of the cases do not result in any outcome. We already have one healthy child (2yrs 4mths) so I do not doubt my body in being able to have a healthy pregnancy. We have buried the fetus, actually our little boy in the garden & bought a beautiful plant. Its very confronting however its a lot better than leaving in to the unknown in the hospital labs.
This week I returned to work now & am happy to be back, to get my mind off everything. It was very difficult as none of my collegues knew the reason why I was out, so I did tell them & they were then able to understand & sympathize. Its a great comfort to have so many caring people around you. Ones who've been through the same/similar experience, however there are plenty of angels out their guiding us through life. Thank you everybody for your support.
I just have to say thank you for posting your situation.  I'm in about that place now.  I went in Monday for a regular visit w/ my midwife and she couldn't find a heartbeat w/ the doppler--this was a complete shock as we'd heard the heartbeat easily at 9.5 weeks.  She did an ultrasound and couldnt' find it, either.  So she sent me to the Hospital for a better ultrasound and there was no heartbeat and the baby measured 12 weeks instead of the 13.5 it should have.  Seeing the baby not moving was one of the hardest moments of my life.  Luckily I have three beautiful children, and they and my amazing husband have been wonderful to help me get through this week.  

But now I'm really nervous and anxious about the miscarriage process.  I don't want to have the d&c.  And I don't want to take the baby in for a bunch of tests, either.  I'm as anxious about seeing the baby as the pain and cramping.  I've been having very vivid dreams about it.  I've looked all over for help in how I'm feeling and your story is the first thing that's really given me comfort in this area.

I'm still stressed and anxious, but it's so helpful to read about someone else feeling like I do.
HELLO LADIES,
I FOUND THIS WEBSITE BY TRYING TO GET INFORMATION ON MY SITUATION WHICH IS MUCH LIKE MOST YOU. I ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED A M/S IN JUNE AFTER A DERANGED DRUNK DRIVER HIT ME. THE GENTLEMAN WAS ARRESTED, HOWEVER AFTER 2 HOURS OF WAITING FOR A STATE TROOPER AND HIM DRINKING GATORADE AT THE SCENE, AS WELL AS, AN OFFICER ALLOWING HIM TO LEAVE AND GO HOME, THEN COME BACK, HE WAS NOT CHARGED WITH A DUI BECAUSE, GET THIS, HE WAS 0.3 UNDER THE LEGAL LIMIT. I SUFFERED TREMENDOUSLY BEHIND THAT. THEN IN JULY I FOUND OUT THAT I WAS PREGNANT AGAIN, ONLY TO GET FIRED FROM MY JOB RIGHT AFTER THAT. A COUPLE WEEKS LATER, I ENDED UP FINDING OUT THAT I WAS 5 WEEKS AND 6 DAYS WHEN I ACTUALLY THOUGHT I WAS ONLY 3 WEEKS. THE U/S THAT WAS DONE SHOWED A HEARTBEAT AND A GOOD HEART RATE. TO DATE, I AM 7 WEEKS AND WILL BE 8 ON SATURDAY. ON TUESDAY I HAD ANOTHER ULTRASOUND  DONE AND TO MY DEVASTATION THEY COULD NOT FIND A HEARTBEAT. I WAS DEVASTED. I FELT LIKE I WAS LIVING A TRUE NIGHTMARE. AS IF I HAVEN'T HAD ENOUGH OF LIFE'S TRIALS. THE DOCTOR TOLD ME I HAD TWO OPTIONS, TO MISCARRY NATURALLY OR HAVE A D&C. I ASKED HIM WHICH WOULD HE SUGGEST, AND HE TOLD ME TO LET NATURE TAKE ITS COURSE. I FELT REALLY GOOD ABOUT HIS SUGGESTION. SO I AM NOW WAITING TO SEE WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT THIS WEDNESDAY ON 8/25. IT IS PURE TORTURE KNOWING THAT I HAVE A LIFE INSIDE ME THAT COULD VERY WELL BE DEAD. BUT I KNOW THAT ULTRASOUNDS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO BE WRONG AND SO HAVE PEOPLE. BUT GOD IS ALWAYS RIGHT. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT MANY OF YOU, BUT I CAN CERTAINLY SPEAK FOR MYSELF WHEN I SAY THAT I DO BELIEVE THERE IS A GOD AND I DO BELIEVE IN MIRACLES. I AM PRAYING FOR A MIRACLE, SO ARE MY FAMILY AND CLOSE FRIENDS. I'VE WITNESSED MIRACLES IN MY LIFE BEFORE, AND I AM A LIVING TESTIMONY THAT THEY DO HAPPEN. TO ALL OF YOU THAT MAY BE EXPERIENCING SOMETHING SIMILAR TO WHAT I AM EXPERIENCING AND ARE WAITING, AND TO ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN THROUGH IT (WHETHER YOU BELIEVE IN GOD OR NOT), I AM PRAYING FOR YOU AND I ASK THAT YOU PRAY FOR ME. I ALSO ASK THAT GOD SOOTH YOUR PAIN AND SUFFERING AND ALLOW YOUR DREAMS OF HAVING A SUCCESSFUL PREGNANCY AND A HEALTHY BABY TO COME TRUE! GOD BLESS.
HELLO LADIES,
I am suffering through my second miscarriage and it's killing me.
I do have two healthy children and that is such a blessing.  Both of the miscarriages have ended with an empty sac.  The first time I had a D&C with Drs advice and I regreted it because of all the stories I've read of children that were born when Drs passed them off as misscarriage.  I am 91/2 weeks along but the sac only measures 61/2 weeks and there is nothing in the sac at all just like the US I had three weeks before today.  I have been bleeding and spotting for two weeks. THe last couple of days its gotten heavier but not cramps or clots. How long can I expect to wait this out naturally. I hate to have to go back in and have a D&C but spotting and bleeding for three weeks is just not ending and the sac is still there.  SHould I have the D&C or wait it out longer???  I don't even have a fetus to expel just a sac. Does anyone know if it will hurt to expel the sac naturally??  Has anyone had two misscarriages in a row and gotten tested for possible problems? I am worried that something is wrong with me but the Dr says this is common and no need for testing as I have two healthy children already. THis is so painful and I can't bear to deal with it a third time. My next preg I will be a nervous wreck. Jennifer
Jennifer,

I am sorry that you are going through this tormenting time.  I have been there and done that.  I would suggest waiting things out.  I know that it is the hardest thing to do.  It is so much better on your body to have a natural miscarriage rather than a D&C.  How many weeks are you?  Is there any chance of misdiagnosis.  That does happen in the diagnosis of a empty sac.  I have done extensive research on the subject for the last 1 1/2.  I have found so many cases of misdiagnosis.  There is even a case where the baby did not show up until 13 weeks!  How is your hormonal levels?  

I am one of those who didn't wait things out and it was hard to sleep at night for many months wondering if the doctor was wrong. After months and months of research, I found
out that I did not have a true blighted ovum as the doctor said because there was a yolk sac. I have found cases where the baby didn't even show up at all as the one above until 13 weeks.  I also found much info on the inaccuracy of u/s depending upon mhz of the machine. I have a friend who was told at 8 weeks that her baby had no heartbeat and she was miscarrying. She had bleeding so the doctor wouldn't do a D&C. Thank God she didn't! A
few weeks later, the baby showed up heartbeat and all! I would suggest going to this link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~misdiagnosed/

It has a collection of misdiagnosed miscarriage stories. They are success stories of women who actually ended up having their babies. The latest baby showing up via u/s at 13
weeks! There is a knowledgable mom there who will also answer any questions you may have by the name of Bonzobean. Also, for more interaction with knowledgable women, I
would highly suggest this web-site also:

I wish you the best. We are here for you on all of these web-sites. Us women need support each other during this most sensitive and emotional time of our life! I wish I had these
resources when I was going through my diagnosis. It is such a blessing. I just have a burden to be there for those who are where I was. Prayers are sent for you!

This is the other web-site:

http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/1311584/thread/1423524

Has good interaction with knowledgable moms.
I have had 2 miscarriages. The first at 10 weeks naturally (lots of bleeding for 8 days and then lots of pain) and the second my doctor saw no heartbeat at 9 weeks even though there had been a heart beat at 7 weeks. I had a d&c second time.

I am 9 weeks pregnant again with no period between my d&c and the pregnancy and have been too scared to have an ultrasound. Ive had all the blood tests and they all were normal.

Firstly I'd take a d&c any day over a natural miscarriage. Far less traumatic and secondly the ultrasound lady told me that they are always on the side of the fetus and they make absolutely sure that they don't make a mistake. I saw her check for over 40min for the heart beat with various different techniques.

I think that multiple miscarriages occur much more often than the statistics say. You only have to look on the internet to see that.

Goodluck girls and I've heard that vitamin E is a great natural way to help prevent miscarriage. I'm taking it so will let you know if it works for me.

I am going on 10 weeks pregnant.  At approximately 6 weeks I had some bleeding.  Bright red and more than spotting, however, not heavy.  No clots or tissue.  I had an ultra-sound and was told that I had a complete miscarriage.  However, I still felt very pregnant, all the symptoms, no cramping etc.  A week later I had an ultra-sound and was told there were two sacs, one empty and one with a yolk and fetal pole.  At 9 weeks and 3 days I went for another ultra sound and was told it had not changed.  Still an empty sac and one with yokd and fetal pole. My OB said there should be signs of a fetus and heartbeat and said I should have a D&C.  I am scheduled for one on October 12th, however, I am a little leary as I have read so many stories of fetus and heartbeat not showing up until a few weeks later.  If anyone has had this similar situation, please advise.
Misdiagnosis does happen.  I would wait it out a few weeks just to make sure.  Waiting things out is worth it anyhow.  It is so much better on the body than the D&C for next time around and who knows?  Maybe you will get a surprise.  I hope so.  If not, I wish you the best.  Sorry you are having to go through this.
I went to the doctor yesterday to have my 10 week ultrasound.  They could not find a heartbeat, and determined the baby had died at 9 weeks.  I was and am devastated.

It started about 2.5 weeks ago (7 weeks) when I had started to spot a brown blood.  I was reassurred by everyone (except my doctor) that brown blood was o.k., just not bright red.  I did not rest until I saw that ultra sound at 8.2 weeks.  The baby was doing great and blood was getting to it and the ultrasound tech said I was perfect and that bleeding could be for so many reasons.  So, I went on a few more days of bleeding and then stopped for a few days.  Then, one AM, my dog jumped on my belly and did not "hurt" me, but sort of knocked the wind out of me... and later that day I passed a blood clot.  It was almost black it was so brown.  Their was only one and I bled for only a day or so later.  The doctor told me that I was probably o.k. from the dog part because I was already bleeding.  So, he did an exam and my cervix was closed. He said I could have an ultrasound in 2 days from then or wait one extra week. I decided to wait because I felt it was o.k. and I knew if my ultra was good, I would want one a week later anyway to be sure.  I hope I made the right decision.  I went in yesterday for that ultrasound... baby had no heartbeat and we had easily had a beat two times before. They did a belly scan on a 4-D and a transvaginal and before all that, the doctor listened to my stomach.  No beat for any.  He says I had a miscarriage and that I should have a DC because if I wait, my bleeding could start and become uncontrollable.  I get VERY nervous about that.  Any comments would be appreciated. I am so sorry for anyone going through this too.  Is there any possibility the baby would be o.k. if an ultrasound, transvag, and a doppler could be incorrect?
Hi.
I am new to this website, I came across it by accident. I too was told that I would miscarry when I went for my first ultrasound at 5-6 weeks. I was having cramping. The ultrasound technician had seen a yold sac, but no baby and no heartbeat. Usually a fetal heartbeat can be seen on ultrasound (transvaginal) by 6 weeks. It was a weekend, and the Dr. told me there was nothing they could do to stop it. I still felt very pregnant. I was scheduled for a D&C later that week. I had bloodwork (quantitative HcG) done on a Monday and then repeated at 48 hours. HcG was increasing. Another ultrasound 1-week later showed a heartbeat. I am now ten weeks pregnant. Maybe your dates are off and a heartbeat cannot be seen or heard for that reason. If you still feel pregnant, I would suggest to your Dr. to send you for labwork (HcG) and go from there.
Good Luck.
Hi I am 9.5 weeks and from my 7th week the u/s shows no fetal pole and no heartbeat.  Today I had another sono as I have one every week, with same results.  My gestational sac has grown from last week 25mm to 33mm.  My pregnancy hormone level 2weeks ago 32k, 1week ago 26k, and today 12k.  I am told this is a sure miscarry.  I want it to happen naturally, even though I have been going thru this torture for 3 weeks.  I have had absolutely no bleeding throughout the pregnancy and have no bleeding now.  The Dr.s say it is my option to wait or have a D&C.  I am going to The Ann Wigmore Health Institute in Puerto Rico, for 4 weeks, to detox and cleanse my system (from fertility drugs and probing) before trying to get pregnant again.  We conceived at the fertility center (IUI).  I am scheduled to leave on Dec. 19th, and I'm afraid to miscarry in Puerto Rico, fear of complicatins.  What do you think?  I need some support.  I am 41 and have no children yet.  This is my first pregnancy and expected miscarriage.  If I miscarry on my own can I handle it alone?  Please share your thoughts and experiences.  Thank you.

Berni2

Berni2

Berni2
Im really worried my doctor is jumping the gun after reading your ladies comments.  At my 6 week appointment, we saw a sac and NO fetus or heartbeat.  5 days later had an ultrasound done at the hospital and again NO pole or hearbeat.  They measured the sac to be @ 6 weeks 5 days...COULD THERE STILL BE HOPE FOR MY BABY.  I have no symtoms (symptoms) of something wrong.  My blood work was increasing from 22817 to 26914 (48 hours apart) but not doubling as it should.  It is Saturday and they have me scheduled for a D&C on wednesday.  I am strongly going to insist on another ultrasound before the procedure - If I can go thru with it.  Would like to hear thoughts from you Please...
i am 13 weeks i went to my app.for an o/s and the doc said their was no heart beat he looked for at least 30 min. but no heart beat he said the baby is measuring about 8 weeks i had no sings or simthims or anything i still dontit been aboutfore and a hafe weeks since it died should i pass it soon ive been filling bad latley
I am at 10.5 weeks and found out today that there is no heartbeat.  Even though a strong heartbeat was detected at 7 and at 8.5 weeks.  I'm brokenhearted.  No sign of miscarriage yet.  Doc wants to do d&c next week.  I'm terrified there'll be complications or I'll be left with scarring and infertility.  It took 5 years to conceive this baby...  Did you miscarry?  I'm so sorry this has happened to you.  I know how painful this is.  My five year old is so sad, my whole family is torn up.  I had no idea this would happen today, but apparently the fetus size is at 9 weeks, so the baby died sometime last week.  please post how you are doing.  My thoughts are with you.

Julie
Have you gotten a second opinion?  Doctors and their techs aren't always right, and with heartbeats it can be pretty tricky to get that pin point on the ultrasounds let alone dopplers, and fetal size can always be off.  Just a suggestion, I had to see so many doctors after finding out I was pregnant, of which 1 thought the baby died, 1 told me there was no chance of keeping my pregnancy, and the last said "we can do this and I think we'll have a healthy baby in the end."
No, I have not gotten a 2nd opinion yet.  My gyno will see me Monday a.m. to begin dilating the cervix with laminaria.  I'm going to ask her to check once more and make absolutely sure before she does anything.  I'm so depressed.  Everything was going fine.  I just don't understand why this happened.
I have had 3 miscarriages.    One I had a D&C and the other two I had natural.   I just want to say to please not give up hope.  I too believe in God and I know he can work miracles.   I have been blessed with another pregnancy and so far everything is going well.   I am now 21 1/2 weeks pregnant and I am feeling her move around - this gives me comfort that everything is going well.    I will keep each of you in my prayers.
Thank you for your post.  I'm a basketcase of sadness and fear over my upcoming d and c.  I'm so afraid I won't get pregnant again.  But your message does give me hope.  
I am 10 weeks pregnant and I went in my normal prenatal care visit on July 30 and I was feeling normal with no pain at all, but when I went to the restroom and whiped myself I saw blood on the tissue so I told my Dr and she rushed me in the ultrasound room to perform an ultrasound in me only to find that my baby had no heartbeat but she didnt say anything about having the baby removed instead she gave me an appointment to come back in two weeks and we will see if anything changed. But I havent giving up hope because only God gets the last word of whats going to happen to this baby so I am praying and hoping for a miracle, and I am asking for you all to PLEASE pray for me too! Thanks.
I just returned from my 2nd prenatal care visit a few hours ago. I was 13 weeks pregnant, but the Dr told me she was unable to locate a heartbeat and that the fetus appeared to have stopped developing at just past 9 weeks.

I am totally devastated. It's so impossible to go from feeling so elated about a new baby on the way to knowing that your dreams have been shattered within a few short seconds.

My Dr told me to decided what I'd like to do (D&C or natural). After reading some of the comments in this forum, I'm feeling more torn than ever. How do you get through this sorrow?
I also had a m/c.  I was only 7 weeks though.  My doctor didn't really give me the choice of having a D and C or natural.  She just told me she thought I should have a D and C.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  For me...I think having the D and C was better.  I was extremelly upset and sitting around and waiting for this to happen naturally would have made matters worse.  I think it's something you have to think over so you can make the right choice for you...good luck to you...
Have they done an ultrasound Cyber?  Or was he just trying to use a doppler and measurements?
It was awful...yesterday, the Dr put the Doppler on my stomach and was unable to detect a heartbeat. She suggested that we go to the Ultrasound. Again - nothing was found. She was concerned and I could feel myself not wanting to hear what I knew she would inevitably say. As a final attempt to located a heartbeat she used the transvaginal and was unable to detect anything.

The measurements taken showed that although I was at 13 weeks, the fetus had stopped growing around 9w/5d. I am shocked by how many women on this forum have gone through similar circumstances. There is some comfort for me in knowing that I'm not alone, but my sorrow is immeasurable.

Today, the Dr wanted to perform the D&C. Like ASHORT - I had to do some research and think about whether or not this was the best method for me and my husband to pursue. After careful consideration, I have made an appt for next Wednesday to have the procedure performed. I think the D&C will let us both move forward.

Does anyone know how long you should wait before trying again? Or if chances of a 2nd miscarriage are greater?

Does the emotional pain stay with you forever?

It is August 10, 2007 and I am 10 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I had an U/S last night and they did not find a heartbeat. I was suspicious that something was wrong when I had blood work and my count was not right so I was nervous. I feel great and no signs of miscarrying. no cramping ...nothing. Actually I feel very pregnant, sore breasts and a belly pouch taht blouts after eating. I am so tired also. Anyways it is what it is. Blood can't lie. So they want to see if something happens naturally since they say the fetus is 8 weeks when I am 10 weeks and 2 days along. So if nothing happens over the weekend they want me to go into the hospital and have a D/C next week. I live in Toronto Canada. I can't believe how many women have similiar situations. Can you tell at 8 weeks what the sex is? I am nervous for it to happen at home. Not sure wht to expect. Can anyone help me out.
Thanks... Joyce
You can only find out the sex of the baby after 18 weeks. I live in toronto as well, usually the ultrasound puts you 2 weeks behind becuase when doctors ask you how pregnant you are they determine that by the first day of your last period..but of course you cant be pregnant at that time, most people get pregnant 2-3 weeks after so that would explain why youre 8 weeks. I wish you all the best and hope everything turns out the way you want! God bless.
I just had my first U/S at 9 wks. There had been no bleeding, no cramping, no indication that anything was wrong and I felt fantastic. The fetus had only grown to 6 wks and there was no heartbeat. The moment I heard that it was like the whole world came crashing down, everything went from bright colors to gray. Its amazing that everything can change so drastically in the blink of an eye. My husband and I are both 42 and have been trying for years to get pregnant and this was my first pregnancy, a miracle.  Walking to the doctor's office I felt so blissed out. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, I kept seeing moms pushing strollers, I was so excited, and actually had never felt quite so happy in my entire life. Walking home from the doctors, I was sobbing uncontrollably, and have never felt so shattered, gutted and devestated in my entire life. I didn't see or notice anything around me all I could feel was the immense pain in my chest, a strong physical aching that has not gone away. We are both so grief stricken and so angry at the world. Yet the only thing that makes us feel better is that we are going to try again as soon as possible. At least we know I can get pregnant. Small comfort but its all we have right now. Thank you everybody for sharing your stories. It really helps to read these.
Hi, I'm new, I went in for a routine check up at 16 weeks, and they found no heartbeat with the doppler, but the midwife said the baby was moving...then she tried again with a different dopler, and nothing...she went on and gave me an aultrasound, and said that there was no heartbeat and that the baby had passed....I have never had this kind of pain before, Im 20 years old, and I was totally healthy!!! I just dont understand how this happend, the midwives wanted to go and rush me to induce me into labor?? I have never heard of this procedure....they will insert tablets inside me and it will be just like a delivery....can anyone tell me if this is healthy for me??? If i should just wait until i miscarry on my own...I need help!!!
      I'm new too, but I'm no stranger to miscarriages. I had one natural and two "D&C"s. However, from what I've bee reading on this post so far, sounds like all D&Cs are different. My last one exactly a year ago, was done at 7.2 weeks, and I believe a doctor made a huge mistake. I never liked him anyway and should've gotten a second opinion or done more research. And once again, after reading this post, I have no doubt that you should ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION in situations like that. Well, I saw a doctor on a millitary base, that tells you something right there.

Yes, as I was saying when he performed my D&C (I was really hoping it would happen naturally!!!! it is the best way, and what's BETTER than the nature?) he inserted some cytotec pills and told me to wait 48 hours. It's like having a "chemical" abotion. The pills inside definitely did it's job and sure enough after only 4 hours waiting and cramping I passed the tissue. My husband and I went in next day for U/S and it showed my uterus was completely empty, so no follow -ups are necessary and I am no loger pregnant. I should've NEVER listened to that doctor!!!

THANK YOU, ladies for having this wonderful thread. I have gotten so many advices, that no other doctor told me, and I've seen way too many gynocologists. I will always get a second opinion from now on, and a third one if necessary.  

I am currently at 9 weeks by calendar days. But I only think I am actually at 6 weeks, as I know I ovulated later than usual (I am way under too much stress righ now). My current midwife says that they wouldn't do U/S until 10 weeks, and the way they calculated it, it won't be until oct. 17. So, I am very excited to see how it turns out. I already had two U/S in this pregnancy and they didn't show much, because it was way early in the game one at 3 weeks and then at 4 weeks, and again I think the dates were miscalculated. I will let you know how my next one turns out. As I hope I finally have a healthy and beautiful baby.
I will keep you all in my prayers and thoughts. Please pray for me, as I need it now more than ever.
    oops, almost forgot.... I am currently taking progesterone. I've actually done some research on it, and have two different opinions about it. In any case, TAKING it (eventhough it doesn't help that much) DOES NOT hurt you. Especially if your progesterone levels are low, it really bumps it up. But then I 've heard some women say that it definitely saved them from having M/C. So, go figure, I am taking it now, so will see what happens
I am so sorry for your loss.  I was at 20 weeks when I lost my dear Ruby.  We were induced and went through labor to deliver her stillborn.  This WILL be the hardest thing you ever do.  I struggled most with taking the pain meds.  I felt that I couldn't take them because we wanted natural birth.  It was impossible for me to understand that they would not hurt her now.  I really wanted the D&C when I found out because I didn't want to have to "participate" in the birth of her and I was terrified at the process and seeing her.  At 20 weeks my doctor insisted on the induction. I listened to the nurses and the day of labor really helped me prepare for the event.  It turned out to be really wonderful to hold her afterwards and it is a great comfort to me to have had that time with her.  I think of her every day and I have meet some wonderful people in a group for pregnancy loss ( find one and try it!).  The induction will not hurt you.  I have been induced for every one of my 3 pregnancies (2 healthy babies) and I am now pregnant again.  Allow yourself the right to be upset and grieve.  Best of wishes.
hi everyone...i went for an ultrasound on my 7th week and found out everything was good but 4weeks later(2days ago) i started spotting and i have alittle cramping also.i went to the ER.They checked my hormone levels, did a pelvic exam and a pregancy test which was all good.the next day i went in again cause i was spotting alittle more and it just didnt seem right and i wanted them to do an ultrasound.so the doctor did an ultrasound and found out there was no heartbeat and the baby was at 7weeks and 3days.Im just wondering my hormone levels are still where its sposed to be it just sounds so weird cause my baby has died 3-4weeks ago and i still show pregnant the baby is still in me even though im bleeding and my hormone levels are ok. could it all just be wrong and missdiagnosed maybe doctor couldnt see it well.has anybody went through something like this and was missdiagnosed.I wish good luck for everybody and will pray for u all.
i had the same situation so i thought" i was told it was an optopic pregnancy and that they could not find a heart beat"   they wanted me to have a d&c but my stubborn self would not except it , so then they sent me to a specialist another state over, so my husband and i went and they tried to tell me the same thing , at this point i was devistated , well my wonderful husband ask  the nurse to zoom in to make sure , and she did so and low and behold my husband said whats that, and she said omg" it is a heart beat, i was sooooooo happy but at the same time mad because these stupid doctors almost caused me to loose  my baby over a misdiagnosed ultrasound , i thank god for my stubbornis and my husbands will to look deep for a solution for my happines , so to all just wait for a while and seek a second opinion because i have a feeling some of these little angels could of been here"
Hi this is my second pregnancy and i am worried to death that i may miscarry. I am 6 weeks pregnant and I've been cramping for about a week now,I spotted once or twice. I went to the doctor 3 days prior to my accident and they told me that it could be one of the three things I was showing a 5 week pregnancy(which could be possible considering the fact this was me first blood work done) 1. I was to early to see the baby 2. my baby was a etopic pregnancy. 3. I already miscarried. Could the doctor be wrong in anyway possible? Even if my HCG level goes down? Is there any way I could keep my baby? I have a follow up check in 2 days. Any kind of confidence would be good for me. This happening twice in two years is driving me nuts. Please Pray For  Me!
I found out I was pregnant on Dec 13th and I went for an ultrasound on Dec 27 for dateing and viability which said I was 5w  and 3d.  Then on Dec 31st I was instructed to get my hcg level checked, the first level matched the ultrasound dates but then I did it again 2 days later and the level had dropped.  My midwive told be that this meant the pregnancy had failed.  My other two children were with me when I was told.  The only thing I could say to them was the "baby is sick and it wont be growing anymore"
I was given the option to wait to miscarry or have a d&c.  At first I wanted to do it naturally, I went to work  and waited for 6 days.  I began to bleed and I panicked and I had an ultrasound that morning and saw my baby on the screen w/o a heartbeat it measured to be 6w 3d. I couldn't wait anymore emoitionally so I went for a D&C on Jan 7th. Now I'm waiting for my period.  I want to know if anyone can tell me what to expect? And how do I move on , losing the baby is all I think about? I feel such a strong urge to be pregnant again, it is like it is the only thing that will make the hurt go away, does anyone feel the same?
he\i i am 15 weeks preggy and i still have not felt the baby move and you are unable to even tell that i am preggy i don't know what to do... i have not had any bleeding or cramps... i feel normal like i would on any old day, excet\pt no period... i don't know what to do...
I was 8w4d pregnant with my third child when I went for my ultrasound yesterday which showed no fetal heart tones or development past about 6 weeks.  Of course I am shocked, I've never had a miscarriage before, and no signs of miscarrying.  We are sad, but we are also realistic.  It is important to know that up to 20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, the majority of which occur in the first twelve weeks.  These first weeks are times of tremendous cell division, and cell division is a chance for one cell to repilcate improperly and cause a defect.  So in reality, it is much better to have a miscarriage early on, than to have a baby born at full term with a devastating and/or life threatening birth defect, or to have the baby die while still in the belly at a much later date, when you've already felt movement, etc.  Altough it's upsetting, I know how it feels, it helps me a lot to konw that this is a natural occurrence, and doesn't mean anything bigger in the scope of life than that something didn't develop properly.  I hope this helps you ladies!
I was 20 weeks exactly when I first felt my baby move so dont worry....15 weeks is quite early on.  You will know it when you feel it too!

Also, for anyone out there who experiences bleeding.  I bled every day for the first three months (daughter is now a healthy 9 months old) and was subscribed Baby Disprin to take (you can buy from any chemists).  I still dont know if it had any effect but the bleeding suddenly stopped one day at about 12 weeks and had none throughout the rest of my pregnancy.  Speak to your gyny first but I would recommend.  It thins the blood and is very low dosage and was prescribed to me by my gynacologist here in the UK.  Quite commonly used here apparently.  
Hi ladies,
I am currently 7 weeks along. Since the end of January 08 I have had servere cramping almost everyday. On Feb. 1st I had an expoloritory laproscopic surgery because the er doctor believed that I was having an ectopic pregnancy. Which it wasn't. Since then I have been in the er almost every week for the pain. All they are doing is pumping me full or pain medication, putting their foot in my *** and kicking me out the door. I finally found a dr, that had me getting blood work done every two days, to make sure that my bhcg levels are going up, in which they, just not doubling like they should be. Last week I was in the hospital Saturday, Wednesday and then again last night. So here is my million dollar question that even a dr, can't seem to answer. If  I am bleeding (like a menstrual period) and every time they do a u/s the "baby" is developing like it should be. (One day its a spot, next it is a fetal pole, last night it had arm and leg buds.) Yet, they can't see nor hear a heartbeat. How can a "baby" with "no heartbeat" be growing like it should be? Every E.R. doctor that I have seen is trying to talk me into having a D&C because last night the bhcg actually dropped slightly. I dont think I could handle it if I knew I had made the decission to have a D&C and my baby could possibly live. After reading this forum I have pretty much made up my mind that I am that I will let nature take its course, if the lord doesnt think it is my time then he will take care of it.  If anyone could possibly offer me any enlightenment onto what they think I should do it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
STAY-POSITIVE-AND-GO-WITH-WHAT-YOUR-GUT-TELLS-YOU----GOD-DOES-HAVE-THE-LAST-SAY-SO-AND-HE-IS-NEVER-WRONG-SOMETIMES-HE-CAN-BE-SAVING-US-FROM-FUTURE-HEART-ACHES(physical-disabilties)-SO-LET-GO-AND-LET-GOD----I-WENT-TO-THE-HOSPITAL-SATURDAY-NIGHT-FOR-MILD-CRAMPS-AND-SPOTTING-I-FELT-SOMETHING-WAS-WRONG-AND-MY-LMP-SAYS-I-WILL-BE-14WEEKS-TOMORROW(TUE)BUT-THE-U/S-SAYS-MY-BABY-IS-SHOWING-9WEEKS-NO-MISCARRIAGE-AS-OF-YET-BUT-STILL-CRAMPING-AND-SPOTTING-I-WILL-SCHEDULE-AN-APPOINTMENT-WITH-GYN-AND-HAVE-ONE-LAST-U/S-DONE-BUT-IT-IS-ALL-IN-GODS-HAND-STAY-POSITIVE-AND-HEALTHY-BABIES-TO-YOU-ALL.
LOVE-LINDA
I am now 15 weeks pregnant, and I went in for my first U/S yesterday. They have found no heart beat. But they scheduled me for D&C in a week, to see if my body will miscarry naturally. This is the second time this has happened, and I wonder if it could be caused from a traumatic experience? About 9 years ago, my (now) Ex-husband, stabbed me 5 times when I was 7 months pregnant, and I ended up losing my unborn son. I have been pregnant twice since then, but both times have ended in D&C because lose of heartbeat.
hi i am nearly 10 weeks pregnant and about a week and a 1/2 ago i went to the hosp for an u/s the doctors have been able to locate the fetus but still no heartbeat. they are bringing me back on  9th july for another u/s and if still nothing they want me to decide whether i want to miscarry naturally or have a d&C. is there any hope at all for my baby as my partner and i have been trying for 3 years to get pregnant
Yesterday, my husband and I went for our first scan.  The night before, we both couldnt sleep, mine through finally getting excited, having lost a baby previously and getting passed 12 weeks.  My husband couldnt sleep as he was fretting over how many was going to show up on the scan.  He was planning on what to do with the rooms in the house, i.e if there was twins, triplets or more.  
I had been so convinced that I was having twins, this was my 5th pregnancy and from day one, I constantly felt sick, was so tired all the time, convinced I had felt movement already etc.I had even dreamt that I had two twin fraternal boys, one was dark, the other was fair.  I saw in my dream my father holding them, even though my father passed away 8 years ago.  I remember waking, as the dream was so vivid and real thinking, 'wait till I see dad', and then remembering that he wasnt with me anymore.  I had never felt like this with my last 4 pregancies, and although I appreciate every pregnancy is different, I have never experienced symtoms (symptoms) like these.
Our other kids wanted to come with us,but as they were at school and this was just the date scan we said no, but would them home a scan picture, we told them they could come to the 'biggy' scan, and they woul be able to see alot more.  We dropped our little one off at nursery and everyone wished up luck, and couldnt wait to hear the outcome of whether we had one or two, little un had named them Bob & Marley, god knows where she got that from!
Off we went to the hospital, I was gearing myself up to be told that there was just one.  My notes hadnt yet been completed by my midwife yet, so there I was with a blank folder and a wee sample.  We finally got called, which seemed like an eternity.  I lay on the bed, whilst the scan began, we both were looking excited at the scan.  After about a minute, we could see something was wrong.  We were told there was no heartbeat, and she questioned our dates. I knew exactly when my last period was, and also when the test was done, so I knew that we were approaching 13 weeks.  We were told that the fetus was measuring about 5-6 weeks with no heartbeat.  We were both stunned, shocked and overwhelmed.  We were not expecting this outcome, this was the furthest thought from our minds.  She kindly left us alone for awhile, with a box of tissues and just each other.  The shock and realisation of what had been seen and said was overwhelming and the tears flooded from both of us.  I wanted to call her back and say 'are you sure' is there a possibility that another baby is there?' Everyday,prior to the scan, I had been on the net looking at what our baby would look like at this stage, even though we'd been here before and got the T'shirt several times, I still find it amazing and exciting.  So you can imagine that we had both built in our minds, an image of a baby at 12 weeks, with a head, a body etc.  to see nothing, but a black oval circle with something so tiny within it but not recognisable was just such a shock.  We are both devasted.  Once again we were back in the 'miscarriage' room, with all the posters on the wall of help and support.  The midwife came in, and once again we were handed the leaflet on miscarriage, we weer asked if we wanted a D & C or let nature take its course, which we decided on the latter.  A D & C seems such a clinical end to our baby, I dont want the intrusion, I want to go home and try to make some sense of this, I want to leave the hosiptal without everypne seeing me crying.  I want to ask why has this happened again, what have I done to deserve this, why me? why us? why why why. I want to go home with a scan picture of my baby, I want yesterday back again!  I know the statistics, I know if it's going to happen, its going to happen, but that doesnt comfort me, or help me with this overwhelming sense of grief and loss.  My husband has the enormous task of having to tell relatives and friends the sad news,  I ask him to tell them not to phone, or call round, I just want to be left alone with my husband and children at this time.  I just cant face anybody yet.  My husband calls in to pick our littl eone up from nursery, and all the staff are eagerly waiting to find out the news whether there is one or two babies.
He tells them as quickly and briefly as he can that there is no heartbeat, he trys so hard to hold back the tears and leaves very quickly with our daugther.  The older two, he collects from the bus stop. They know that something is wrong.  We confirm their fears, and they sob their hearts out, we all hold each other and cry.  Our little girl, repeats the same question ' why did your baby die' and we try to answer as honestly and as clearly as she will understand, and she still asks 'but why'. Shes just at that 'but why' age, we are not really sure that she understands.

Having had it confirmed yesterday, its as if my body is now accepting the inevitable and my body has started to reject the fetus.  Perhaps my body was just waiting for my mind to catch up with what it already knew, but just needed my acceptance that there is no baby anymore.  Today my back has started to ache, and I am now passing blood, it has started.  The hospital have said that they will call friday to see how I am progressing, I guess if nothing was happening by then, they would have suggested a D & C. I think in a few days it will be over, like last time it took about 3 -5 days from start to finish.  The final nail in the coffin,will be the scan to confirm a complete self abort has taken place.  I think I dread that more than anything, as it really is final acceptance that there is no longer nothing there, and I guess in the back of your mind there is a flicker of hope that even after all the blood loss, that suddenly a heatbeat will be found instead of the emptyness that I know that I will see.

I will get over this sad period in my lfe, we all will, we wont forget but we will move on, as thats life. I will take time to grieve and then I will dwell no longer on it, it will not consume my life. Yes, we will have moments when we think, our baby would have been one now, two now, etc, thats only natural.  We will try for another baby as soon as we both feel ready.  It isnt the end of our lives, we are very fortunate to have three beautiful children.  This is the second time this has happened to us, but we wont give up, and neither should anybody else out there.

HELLO EVERYONE,
  I AM SO SORRY YOU ALL HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS, I TOO HAVE EXPERIENCED ALL THIS AND ITS HORRIBLE. BUT I HAVE GOOD NEWS, I WAS TOLD I MISCARRIED AFTER A ROUTINE SONOGRAM, THEY COULDNT LOCATE A FETAL POLE OR HEARTBEAT,,, I WAS DEVASTATED AND SENT THAT SAME DAY TO GET A D&C PERFORMED, SOMEHOW THE ER TOLD ME THEY COULDNT DO THE D&C INSTEAD TO GO BACK TO MY DOCTOR AND SO I DID THE FOLLOWING MORNING. AGAIN THEY SAID I MISSCARRIED AND NEEDED TO SCHEDULE THE D&C, AFTER RETURNING HOME THE NIGHT BEFORE I BEGAN TO PRAY, I TOLD JESUS HE PLACED THIS BABY INSIDE TO GROW NOT DIE AND I WASNT BLEEDING SO I BELIEVED I HAD A CHANCE TO SAVE MY CHILD. IT SEEMED FARFETCHED BUT I SAID HEY, I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES SO IM GOING TO PRAY LIVE INTO MY CHILD. I PRAYED FROM MONDAY TO MONDAY NIGHT AFTER NIGHT FOR MY BABY. EVERYTHING SEEMED TO BE GOING WRONG AS I FELT CRAMPING AND DIDNT FEEL THE SYMPTONS OF PREGNANCY BUT TO THE GLORY OF GOD MY BABY IS GROWING WELL. I DID A SERIES OF BLOODTEST THAT SHOWED MY LEVELS INCREASING SO I SAID ABSOLUTELY NO D&C FOR ME. MY ADVISE TO ANY WOMAN IN THIS SITUATION IS TO PRAY PRAY PRAY...YOUR HAVE POWER FROM GOD TO DO THE IMPOSSIBLE. DOCTORS STUDY BOOKS AND SCIENCE, NEVER LET THEM DETERMINE YOUR FUTURE B/C GOD DETERMINES THEIRS NOT THEM. I LOVE MY DOCTOR BUT I HOPE SOME LADY OUT THERE READS THIS AND TRULY BELIEVES THAT ALL ITS TAKES IS FAITH AND A FEW WORDS TO GOD....CAN CHANGE A NEGATIVE REPORT TO A POSITIVE MIRACLE. AND UNFORTUNATELY IF THE BABY DOESNT MAKE IT, ALWAYS KNOW HE HAS A PURPOSE AND PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE AND THAT WAS HIS WILL. DONT BE TOO DISHEARTED, LOOK FOR THE SILVER LINING....ITS SOMEWHERE CLOSE BY ...BELIEVE ME.
Last Tuesday 8/4, I was scheduled to go in for my 10 weeks visit...and I was so excited since I read that this is the week that the embryo officially is a fetus, but I've been calling it my 'Little One' ever since I saw it at 6 weeks with a heartbeat. I laid as I watched the doc do an ultrasound and something came over me very quickly when I saw my baby was still...but why would it be? Then the doc said, he needs to get a closer look, but I saw it already...still I had high hopes it wasn't what I really saw... He did a vaginal ultrasound and zoomed in, and he confirmed what I thought I saw...he said, "unfortunately, I don't see what I'm looking for...your baby has no heartbeat."
I was lost for words, as if this was a bad dream and I'm just waiting to wake up from it...tears came down my eyes and just kept denying it out loud...The doc called in his partner to confirm...and there they were both standing there looking at the screen and both saying the same thing..."the baby had no heartbeat". They left me in the room to gather myself, and then I just lost it. I couldn't comprehend what was going on...I called my mother since she worked in the hospital, but no words could come out of me...i just kept crying... I placed my hands on my face and continued to ask myself how this happened?

I was transferred to another room to wait for my mother because I couldn't gather myself. My mother finally came and found me in my frantic stage... I cried like I've never cried before in my life...and held her tight, almost hoping that the tighter I held, the pain would be more bearable.

We were told we needed to go see a Perinatologist to confirm with their more advanced ultrasound...as I sat there in the waiting room with other fully pregnant women, i laid my head on my mother's shoulder, still hoping maybe this doctor would find the heartbeat and all would be back to normal...I would go back to work later in the afternoon and I would still be pregnant. Instead, more ultrasounds were done and more pictures were taken...and still, no heartbeat. The tears just kept rolling down my cheeks, and not once did I even try to hold back...even if I wanted to, the tears would just continue to flow...I don't think that I could ever run out of tears with the heavy emotions that came along with this.

I saw the 3rd official doctor who explained to me once again, the Little One had no heartbeat. How if a study was done on the baby, it would prove that it's the genetics of the baby, and not because of me or the father of my baby. That during its development stage, it just didn't form properly. Not necessarily the heart, but maybe other organs that would assist the heart to beat whether it was the kidney, liver, etc. No one will ever know.

At this point, I was starting to pass the denial stage and began to accept that there really is no more baby...I stared at the third doctor to bear the same bad news, with my eyes welling up and ask him, "now what?" He said there are two options...the natural way which allows my body to release the baby on it's own or a surgical procedure called a D&C where they will remove the baby from my uterus...clean me all up and make sure nothing is left behind that might cause me to have infections or profusely bleed if left alone.

I chose the latter. I was scheduled the very next day for surgery.

What turned out to be a normal routine check up became my worst nightmare.

What I've endured EMOTIONALLY after my surgery has surpassed the physical affects of the D&C. It's only been a week and still...I feel EMPTY…and…LOST... and I truly feel I will be for a while till I find myself again.

~CHENG~

I am so sorry for everyone's loss.  Than k you FAITH42 for those inspiring words.  I am also gald to hear of ALL these mistakes the u/s and doctors have made.  I am hoping for that in my case as well.  Here's my story:

I found out I was preggers.  The nurse wanted me to get Beta quants 72 hours apart. The levels were 572 and then 2462 - quadrupled instead of doubled! Levels were rising quickly so had an ultrasound to make sure it was not ectopic. Not ectopic and the Dr. thinks it's about 5 weeks if she had to guess. Cannot see much of anything but she did see what appeared to be a sac and then a few more (3-5) sacs of the same size near by (but not clustered yet). She said those could be blood-filled sacs of the egg trying to bury itself in the uterus, which is normal (but no common), it could be multiples, or it could be a molar pregnancy (which is also rare).  My uterus is normal (golf-ball size) for 5 weeks but my elevated hcg levels coupled with the extra "sacs" make her think it could be a molar pregnancy. She says has no feeling one way or the other (normal, multiples, or molar), but she did give me a pamphlet about molar pregnancies, which, in turn, makes me think that she thinks it's molar.  Plus she told me not to tell anyone about the pregnancy until they find out (yea, right!  I told everyone so they can pray for me).  I still have to wait 2 more weeks for another ultrasound but I am about to go crazy. I have not had any bleeding (so I am a bit hopeful) and feel nothing of the pregnancy except that I have to use the bathroom often. I am also currently breast feeding full-time to our 13 month old son. Every blog I've read about others with molar or suspected molar pregnancies have had much higher hcg levels than i do at this same stage.  Please pray HARD for me and the health of my baby(ies) in these next couple of weeks (and beyond).  I have faith that God will give me peace of mind (after reading all these posts) and help our child(ren) grow normally in my womb!
Firstly i would like to say sorry to all for there loss. I would like ppl to be aware that the scan is not always right, when i was pregnant i had a small bleed, i was booked in for a scan, when i had my scan they told me they are very sorry but my pregnancy was a phantom pregnancy, this is where you are pregnant but the baby doesnt form properly.
I was very upset , they offered me a d/c there and then  or to let it happen naturally, i decided to go home and think bout things.
When i got home i called the hospital and asked for a copy of the scan, they refused me and said there was no reason to have a picture of nothing, i was so mad , i when back there and demanded they give me a copy, they couldnt copy it clearly then offered me another scan so i could have a picture, and i also agreed to have the d/c that day.
When i went home i emptied my bladda so there wasnt a clear picture, they offered a internal scan as its a clear picture.
We went ahead with it , only to find my baby and a perfectly strong heartbeat,
i was so happy but yet so angry that the internal wasnt done before putting me through such pain and upset.
I just want people to be aware of my situation as it makes me wonder how many times people have been in my situation but have gone ahead with the d/c straight away. thankyou for taking the time to read this.

kayle x
I too am going through the same thing at 12 weeks pregnant.  I bled and passed off what I thought was a miscarriage.  Was told at the hospital that I miscarried.  Followed up with my doctor the next day and they showed me the baby and the heartbeat.  2 weeks later, they were not able to find a heartbeat and said baby is size of 10 weeks.  I am scared to do the D&C but also scared to let  it happen naturally because I'm not sure what effects seeing it, will have on me.  After reading all the comments, I may try to wait.
I jus found out yesterday when i went to my u/s that there was no heartbeats for my twins this is my 1st time bein pregnant and i am realli hurt bout everything,i have a appointment wednesday for a d&c i am realli scared.does anybody knows y this happens when the babies just stop growing and die.
I am soooo sorry for this....I had samething happening to me at 6 weeks....so I had to have d&c done...which is not painful but emotionally yes, I was depressed for 6 months, lost 10 pounds and look like sh*t...
The best advice - after few months when you get your 2nd period, start ttc rght a way , so that you can be happy  with another pregnancy...
I am pregnant now 6 weeks tomorrow so I am extremellly scared because I already lost the baby at this stage before..it took me 7 months toget prego after d&c ( I have PCOS), and Im crossing my fingers for a heartbeat on Monday's u/s....
Your case is a little scary because you already had heartbeats, right? how far along are you?
hi
i just wanted to know has anyone been diagnosed a miscarriage only for it to be misdiagnosed. my dilemma is i started bleeding on saturday and went to er, bleeding was light but red and they did a uss and diagnosed me with a threatened miscarriage, er then told me to go to early pregnancy unit on Monday for blood tests to see if HCG levels were doubling. so i went on Monday but they  said its better to do another uss, they said they could dee the gestational and yolk sac and the uterus looked normal even though bleeding was moderate with mild period pains, and booked me for another appointment in 2 weeks. when saying moderate i used a maximum of a pad and a half  a day for the rest of the week till date, and strangely found that when i sat or lay down i hardly bled but when i went toilet i used to drip ( not pour)as they also suggested bed rest for 2 weeks. so here i am 1 week later and yesterday i began to clot about the size of like 50p  it did again today twice and so i went back to er and they did another uss and told me that its coming away slowly. i could see the gestational sac there and the doctor even asked if i had pictures from the last scan to compare hers too. she discharged me saying i have had a complete miscarriage but if i was to start bleeding heavier i should go back to the early pregnancy unit.
By my lmp dates i am 6 weeks 5 days today... if i go on monday i will be 7 weeks gestational age 5 weeks fetus, is that too early to hear a heartbeat?
You should hear a heartbeat at 7-8 weeks, not usually earlier then that...so I would wait another week or two just to make sure there is nothing there, u know?
Don't do anything else before you absolutely sure!
i had a scan on friday the 27th, i am thought to be 8weeks pregnant, doctor at ultrasound couldnt detect a heartbeat but could see a yolk sac,e.t.c. there sayin i could eitha be less weeks than i thought i was, or theres a problem, they sent me on my way and told me to give the report to my doctor to re-schedule another scan which i still dont have, i asked my doctor wht the report meant in detail she said basically they dont weather your babys dead or alive. how can they let someone wait around and not no what the problem is? and go through evryday not knowin if we have a life inside us. i have all the signs, no period sore breasts, e.t.c. i just dnt no wot to think, i still dont no when my next scan is they havnt sent me an appointment as yet. its ridicoulous how they deal with things.
I had my first ultrasound yesterday. My last period was May 11, which would put me at 10 w 1day. When I the ultrasound started, there was no fetal pole, or heartbeat. Just a yolk sac. Due to the measurements, it said I was only 6w and 3 days. This just doesn't make since to me. They couldn't tell if I was going to miscarry or if my dates were just off. I just don't see how the dates could be off when i am so sure of them. I'm completely devastated...I just don't know how to handle this. I have another ultrasound scheduled for Aug 3, to see if there is anything there. I have no bleeding, or cramping. I still feel very pregnant. What should I do??
Hello everyone,

Reading these stories gave me some peace, as I am feeling very alone right now. I started spotting yesterday so rushed to the ER. After doing an ultrasound and than a vaginal ultrasound, I was told my baby had no heart beat. I am 10 weeks and the baby was only measuring at 8. I am devastated, but haven't given up hope yet. God will get the final say in this and I am going to let everything happen naturally unless it becomes a risk to my health. This is me and my husband's first and we tried for 7 months before we conceived. It is really heartbreaking to get that kind of news. I will be going back to the Dr. tomorrow for a second opinion but wanted to share my story. Keep the faith ladies, everything happens for a reason as painful as it may be. I have all of you in my prayers.
I went in about a week and a half ago on a tuesday and the doctor was concerned about the heart beat not being strong enough  i had intercourse and during i felt a pain like as if my cervix was hit and i started to bleed but only spotting i was told by everyone that that was common so i didnt call my doctor the spottin stopped but when i went to work it started again so i ended up calling my doctor he got me in the next day for a u/s and he said that the baby had not grown much since the last time he didnt look for long at all and said there was no heart beat he looked for maybe one minute vaginally and that was it he jumped in saying i miscarried i went to get blood work and my hcg or whatever it is ha ha was great the lady at the lab said but if i miscarried wouldnt it not be great? and when i dont move around the spottin goes away but followed by a very light cramping im having mixed thought on this whole thing
I should be 19 weeks.But last Wensday through u/s my Dr could not detect a heartbeat. The u/s showed that the size of the baby was around 13 weeks. I have had no symptoms. And have no clue when my Dr will do a D&C. It has been dead for almost 5 weeks now so I am freaking out. Why wouldn't he do it right away if thats what I wanted? Emotionally I am spent, cant sleep, and I am scared to death. How long does it take to come out? Can Having it in my body for so long cause long term problems??
Hi i am new to this i went for a u/s at 6 weeks and no heartbeat then they said to come back, i went back 2 weeks later and still no heartbeat i am feeling so sad and hurt, but i still do not have any signs of bleeding i still have morning sickness i should be 9 weeks now can i just have a small baby.i am going to my gp to see what she say's but as you all know it's not knowing what is happening is the worst i was trying to get pregnant for a year and i only have a 2 1/2 year old son who i feel is so lonely for him. i just want some answers so i can get things sorted out then tell everyone that there will not be a baby wich will be so hard i just hope my body will tell me what is happening so sorry for you all but aleast we can see we are not the only ones going through this. i hope i can keep my hope up and for you all to good luuck and lets hope we get our bunndle of joy.
I will have my third consecutive miscarriage, the first two passed naturally between week 7-8, this third has been a bit more painful because it hasn't passed yet on its own and we went in yesterday for our first ultrasound to see the heartbeat; there was no heartbeat and apparently the baby was only the size of a 6 week, 3 day fetus.  Needless to say I am devastated and feel my body is cruel for not passing on its own (yet).  I am confused on whether I should opt for a D&C (which would allow a lab to test the tissue for genetic disorders) or allow it to pass naturally (which would be less invasive but not provide any answers).  Also, I am a vegetarian and wonder if this diet could be to blame?  If any women out there have any advice or have been in a  similar situation please reach out and help.
Some people just don't understand that everytime it only gets harder. I"m not going through my fifth miscarriage. I had 2 last year that i never made it to the doctors appointment and had natural miscarriages'. Early this year i had an empty sac and akso misacarried naturally at about 8weeks. Then in May at 6 weeks miscarried again, by the time a had n ultrasound the sac had already collapsed. I got pregnant again right after the last miscarriage. The doctors had ran all different test to see if there was anything wrong with me and everything came back fine. Had my first ultrasound done at 7 weeks this time and we had a heartbeat, another one done at 9weeks and 1day and we had a heartbeat. We where so excited, two good ultrasounds so we really had hope this time around. I went for my ultrasound on tuesday and no heartbeat and the baby measured 9weeks 5 days. The baby has been dead inside me for two weeks. I have decided to miscarry naturally. It's been really hard for me to the last 2 days. I'm really hoping that i do miscarry naturally, I really don't want to have a D&C. My sister had 3 done and says it was horrible, but her pregnancies had been more advanced so she didn't have another choice.We have a 3 year old daughter and we made the mistake to tell her she was going to be a big sister. My husband explained to her that the baby is not coming anymore and she says she doesnt understand why... It  has only gotten harder everytime it has happened, we havent even really told anyone, we had already told some friends that we where pregnant, but now bad news again... Thank You for your time ladies. I'm so orry for the losses that we've all been through...
Please help,
On August 31 we went in for an ultrasound. A sac was visible but no foetus. Vaginal u/s measured it at being 5w6days. Now today (4 weeks later) we went in for another scan and still no foetus BUT the sac measurement shows 6w3days - we should be 9-10 weeks.
We have been trying for 3 years. We also had blood tests done thismorning and will again in 48 hours for HCG. There hasn't been any bleeding or spotting. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?  My wife is absolutely devastated, as am i. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, concerned husband.
when I found out that I was pregnant, I didn't see an OB until I was about 12 weeks according to my last menstrual period. I was then scheduled for my first U/S at 13 weeks and 4 days. when the technician checked the fetus to get an accurate measure of how far along I was, the fetus only measured 8-9 weeks with no heart beat. I was told that the fetus had stopped growing and died a month ago. I scheduled an appt with my doctor the next day and he gave me 2 options. miscarriage naturally or have a d&c. its been 3 days since I've heard from the doctor and I've been feeling a bit ill. this is crazy to be carrying a dead fetus for so long. normally your body would automatically expel the fetus but in my case, its a missed miscarriage. in a way I wished I missed carried naturally because the thought of getting a d&c reminds me of an abortion but only thing, the fetus is already dead.
Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and advise, it is very comforting at this most devasting time.
My husband and I were so thrilled to learn we were pregnant for the 2nd time (son is 10) after trying for a few years. The pregnancy couldn't be better - no morning sicknes, no spotting only sore and growing boobs.
Once I did the test and showed positive I scheduled an appt with my GP and did the U/S to verify the age of the foetus (7w2d). I was so thrilled to see the baby and hear the heartbeat (there is nothing in this world better than that - expect when it's born).
I was referred to an OBGYN (whom I have seen before) and had my appt today.
To my horror, when the U/S was in progress at her office , she was called in and asked me is I have been having any issues so far, which there was none ..not even one drop of blood...
I am still in shock as to what she said next.."there is no heartbeat for the baby, the baby has died" and this is at 10w exactly. I had no symtoms (symptoms) and thought all was well. All I was cried and cried...thank GOD my husband was outside the room. She later explained that this is a natural occurance and it happens to many women.
My choice was either medication to have the miscarriage or D&C....I opted for the medication on her advice on the negative effects possible with a D&C...
In my heart I cannot accept this news and I am thinking to have another US with my regular GP.....I do not know how to accept this ...please guide me....thanks
Dear sunbird, I'm going through the same pain. This morning, my doctor did an U/S. I should be 10 weeks pregnant today but my baby only measured 7w2d and there was no heart beat. My OB/Gyn sent me to a clinic where they had a more accurate machine, and the doctor there was the one giving me the bad news. I'm scheduled for an D&C for a week from today but, as many of the women in this forum, I'm praying nature does the job by itself. I have a 20-month daughter and as soon as I came home and saw her, I started feeling better. I'm still very sad but willing to accept God's will... and determined to try again in a few months. I'll let my body and myself grieve. God bless you.
hi! be assured that i can understand the pain you're all going through or went through for i had experienced them myself...twice. i had a complete molar preg for my first supposed pregnancy...doctor removed it through d & c as there was no sign it would miscarry on its own. i was advised not to attempt pregnancy for 1 year to avoid recurrence w/c we followed...3 months before the end of my '1 year pregnancy rest' i took all the necessary vaccinations, took vitamins and folic in preparation or my second pregnancy, thought i was already ready, and i really was...i was very elated to learn that after the '1 year rest' i immediately got pregnant, only to find out 9 weeks later that there was a fetal pole with no heartbeat, collapsed gestational sac and a large subchorionic hematoma...imagine the pain and the sadness i felt when i learned about these! no choice, my ob suggested another d & c...but since my cervix is still closed, it was forced open by a medication which let me experienced an agonizing 6.5 hours of labor pains while my cervix opens...it hurts SO MUCH! my ob told me we can't wait for a natural abortion to happen as the baby & the sac inside has been there for quite a long time already...i'm now recovering physically & emotionally, trying to research for the reasons beyond these ordeal...im also trying to get all info i can on genetic counseling as we we're advised to see a geneticist before we attempt for a 3rd preg...anybody here who shares my experience? please tell me what was advised to you, what could we do to have a successful pregnancy next time as it hurts so much to be expectant only to be disappointed! praying helps though!:)
Looks like there hasn't been anyone on here in a while. But I thought I would share my story and see if I get any responses.

I was 10weeks pregnant when I went in for my first U/S last monday. They baby measured correctly but there was no heartbeat. They sent me to the hospital to get another U/S and still no heartback. Back to the Drs office I went. She automatically assumed that I had a misscarriage and scheduled me to come back the following Monday and talk to her about a D&C. I have done tons of research online so far on this. I have looked up numerous sites that show the signs of miscarriage. Which I have NONE of. So this really started bothering me. I have talked to many of my friends and family that have had miscarriages. They all personally think that my Dr is just wrong for assuming when she doesn't know 100%.

I am going back on Monday to request for more blood work and another U/S. I want to see if the baby then measures at 11weeks and if they have found a heartbeat yet. My cousin has a very healthy baby altho they didn't find her baby's heartbeat until 16 weeks. Yes 16 weeks...which I found kind of crazy. So I have not lost hope...and will not loose hope!

I just want every woman out there to go for more U/S and/or a second opinion! I am not giving up. I will not go and get a D&C done not knowing that my baby is for sure gone for good. I have read many of these inspiring posts that keeps me going!! Good luck to all of you women out there and I wish everyone the best in their journey!

I have a handsome son. A very beautiful daughter that we adopted. And now we have been trying for this baby for 2 years. By God's faith I am sure he will provide us with what we need! Much <3.
Yes my friend never lose hope, I wish my story was one of which brought hope but alass it isnt.
I miscarried last friday at 9 weeks and 3 days. I had cramps and brownish pinkish blood loss.
I have 2 healthy children of 17 ans 12 years old and am 40 myself, I have blamed myself for the loss of my baby because of my age, riding my motor bike, going to work and even taking folic acid and the flu jab. But the biggest hurt of all to day is because for the last 3 or so weeks I havent felt pregnant, inside I felt this.
On reading these most courageous womens stories it has been to some comfort to be to knew that this is not really my fault nothing I could have done could change the outcome, as my m/c was very fast.
the baby came away first then the pain and clots with  heavy bleeding today being the 6th day the bleeding has almost stopped.
Please do all you can and I pray it all goes well for you, do all you can as if the worse happens you will know that you done all you could. Sorry I couldnt be more positive for you. my prayers are with you mommy5n1 and all my HOPE'S too xx
Hi all

I havnt been feeling well for the last few days not morning sickness but a strange sickness and had some spotting on wednesday (dark brown blood), phoned the midwife and was told to go to eraly pregnancy clinic.  I had already gone there at 5 weeks and was told i was having twins then again at 7 weeks to be told there was only one heart beat.  so this morning i went to have the u/s and knew someting was up when i was told could not see a clear picture and would i mind having an internal scan, and still no heart beat, colleuge came in and confirmed no heart beat and looks like it had stopped groing at 8.5 weeks, i just brust into tears,and have been cyring all morning.  I have a 2.5yrs old and had no problems with him, but suffered with seizuers after him, and it took me a year and a half to get pregnant as i have irregualr periods.  I am booked in on wednesday to remove the pregnancy as i feel like i can put some clousure on it rather than wait 2/3 weeks for nature to take its course.  I am lost, confused................and just feel empty.
I am so sorry for your lose. I too had a miscarriage on 1/25/11 and I burst into tears when I was told there was no heart beat. My husband I have been trying for almost a year and to finally get pregnant was so exciting. I had a bad feeling and just so happens I had an appt that afternoon. I asked if I could have an ultrasound to ease my nerves only to find out the heart beat had stopped with the last 24 hours. I was almost 10 weeks so I had a D&C 1/28/2011.  I was scared since I had never had any kind of surgery before. But it wasn't all that bad. I had alot of cramping for a few days but here I am a week later and im just barely spotting. I have continued working so I could stay busy. I find my self sitting at home thinking about everything. I will have results from my doctor in a few weeks. I praying they can tell me what went wrong. I understand how upsetting this can be as I was crushed but I am ready for the doctor to release me to have intercourse so we can try again. I know one day I will have a healthy baby. I have prayed every day that things will work out and I have faith that they will and im praying the same for you.

To all of you who have suffered from losing a baby in any way, you have all of my sympathy. I now know how hard that is and pray all of you have a better out come in the future. I am truly sorry for everything you have been through.
I also had a m/c on jan 28th I have had 2 healthy babys b4 this and thought this would never happen to me, I am still shocked that it did. On reading the stories of every brave woman who has been willing to put her story on here has eased my pain some how. you also have helped with this so I pray the Lord showers His blessings on your life and pray for your future baby much love lou x
I am glad my story can help you. Each day I get better. Each day it gets a little easier to talk about. I know as soon as the doc says we can try again we will.  Thats what keeps me going. I now know that I can get pregnant and that was my fear at first that I wouldn't even be able to get pregnant but now that I have we will work very hard to get pregnant again and pray for a better outcome this time. I am so sorry for your lose and pray that you get pregnant again and have a better outcome as well. I was so heart broken. I trried reading some poems from other mothers but it was too heard to read some of them. I feel your pain and hope everything works out for you.
Thank you so much, my thoughts are with you x
Thank you so much. I am 42 andafter 20 years of marriage thought that I would never have children. I became pregnant and we were over the moon. I went for my 12 week ultrasound yesterday and the baby had no heartbeat and was measured at 9 weeks. My husband and I are absolutely devestated as this may have been our only chance to have a baby. I am scheduled for a D&C next week but am hoping to miscarry naturally before then.

It is so nice to hear that others have been in this situation and have worked through it.
I was 9 1/2 wks expecting when I had to go to the ER for very light blood streaked discharge,  but I have 4 kids, the baby is 11 months. I never had any spotting with any of them, so when I saw it, I knew it was odd for my body. After a vaginal u/s, I was told the fetus had no heartbeat, and had stopped growing at 6wks gestation. 2 days later, a second u/s confirmed that information. So I have been carrying a baby that has passed away for  4wks? The doctor suggests a d &c because I'm not expelling. (the blood streaks, and brownish spotting stopped for the most part. It comes about once every 36hrs as I wipe using the restroom) I'm being told that the demise probably occurred 4wks ago.  I have an appoint for the procedure on Tues (it's sunday night) I REALLY don't want to do it. I didn't want to loose the baby, why would I want to take myself there, strip my clothes off and let a stranger take something from me that's my miracle... NO. I don't know how long I can continue to wait to expel at home, naturally. Emotionally, and mentally I'm so messed up. Could there still be hope for me?  I believe in miracles and my Lord Jesus, and i have been asking Him to show me His Will & plan, but I'm so cluttered in my own head, when I think I hear I tlk myself into the opposite...Any words would be appreciated
I had a 16 weeks miscarried. There were no heartbeat and it took less than a week to happen.
I got pregnant again in  8 years. He is now 13 and is a  healthy boy.
I'm sorry, but if ultrasound shows there is no heartbeat the baby has passed and won't come back to life. You can choose to sit and hope it will naturally pass, but be warned it could take several weeks to do so and can drag the process out much longer. My dad's girlfriend carried her baby for 11 weeks after it died and had no idea. (She had missed two doctors appointments due to being away on vacation and such) You should also be warned that the longer the remains do stay inside you, the more you risk infection which in turn can damage your fertility or cause many other problems.
We went in this week for a 15week check-up, no heart beat found with ultrasound or sonogram and baby measured at 10 weeks. D&C scheduled for Monday, should we even bother with a second look as it seems in this type of situation, it usually does mean miscarriage.  We were just shocked as I have had no signs of miscarriage and body still feels pregnant.
June 29, 11..it was my 1st appointment...Me and my husband was happy to see the heartbeat and find out im 6 weeks pregnant...July 17, 2011 i resigned from my work..coz i cant handle working 12 hours and i want my baby to be healthy...1 week before my 2nd appointment...i felt cramping of my lower abdomen, very bad headache, vomiting(vomit until my tummy empty) and lower back pain but no bleeding...July 27,2011 morning..while taking a bus to see doctor for my 2nd appointment..i always complained to my husband my lower abdomen very pain....so waiting for us to called our number...The doctor took US and she saw my baby grow in a normal but she cant find my baby's heartbeat...my heart pumping sooo fast and started teary..she did again using trans-vaginal US. still no heartbeat...Soo She said sorry...And she told me to do US again after two hours...and we did but the result still the same...Going back home sooo depress and very sad...Its was my 1st baby and im 10weeks pregnant..and knowing i still carrying my baby inside my womb which is died...Cant sleep, always cry and a lot question inside my mind..although my husband is there to comfort and mend me but still very pain..and cant imagine how this thing happened to me..The day after tomorrow...i went back to Hospital for evacuation of uterus...still im crying and Depress until I forgot my Birthday on August 01,2011...Today is 11 days after they evacuate my uterus...Im still depress and want my BABY BACK!!!....and don't know what to do especially now..im jobless ( very hard to find a job cos im a foreigner of this country)..no parent and friends to be with me... in short im alone if my husband working..I know time will heal and God have plan to all of us....this site helps me to be strong..a big thank u.. "No farewell words spoken, No time to say Goodbye, You were gone before we knew it and only God knows why"..
Came across this forum while blindly searching for some perspective on the recent news of my impending miscarriage.  I thank everyone for their posts, because while in this time of overwhelming sorrow, it helps a little to know that others have felt the same way I am.  I was 7 weeks 2 days at my first ultrasound, doctor noticed what she said was a strong heartbeat and everything was great.  Went in yesterday for my 10 week 2 days ultrasound and the babys heartbeat was gone and baby was only measuring at 8 weeks 1 day.  Didn't have any signs or symptoms of a miscarriage, so this came as a complete shock to my husband and I.  We are devastated.  Unfortunately for us, we have fertility issues and had to use IVF to get pregnant.  This was our last embryo from our IVF cycle.  Anyone else out there experience such a miscarriage after IVF, it feels so much more painful knowing that we can just "try again" in a couple months.  I will now wait until this weekend to take the medication that my doctor prescribed that should begin to expel our precious little baby.  I wish I could wake up from this nightmare.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  I too went through the same agonizing and horrible experience of loosing a baby.  I found out we lost our little one at ten weeks.  The doctor said it stoped growing at 8wks.  I know what you are all going through and it's a nightmare.  Just be strong and know that God doesn't give us a load we can't handle and He knows why He holds our precious babies in his hands.  The only advice I can give you is double or triple check for that heartbeat.  This will only help convince you of the reality you are facing and so that you won't have any doubts if you elect the D&C, but it won't bring the baby back unless it's God's will.  In my case it wasn't in His plans.  After you make sure, I would then opt for the D&C.  I decided to let my body naturally pass the baby.  But it was an awful experience for me.  Nobody told me that letting it pass naturally is just like giving birth.  You go through all the labor pains and they never gave me any pain medication.  All they said I could take was motrin, but if you've had a baby before, you know that doesn't do a thing for the intense labor pain.  I went a day and a half going through the pain and then in the end I ended up having to do the D&C because they were afraid of infection.  I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I just wanted to warn you of the process of letting the baby pass naturally.  I hope this helps.  Take care, and know that God will see you through this and this will only make you stronger.
Hi I have recently had two natural misscairages. the first was at 13 weeks it was messy with pains like period pains. the second was at 6 weeks i hardly noticed it but you justknow thats it when it comes out, gross. i  gonna keep trying they told me they only investigate when someone has miscarried 3 timesin a row. I wish you luck. i find this site comforting and fel normal seeing so may other women suffer the same loss.  
I am 20 years old, and this is my first pregnancy. When my fiance and I found out I was pregnant...it was hard to accept at first since I had no job, and we both had little income to live off of.....we in time came to the realization that we are having a baby...I found a job and the income situation looked brighter. I went in for my first appointment August 12th 2011.  They said I was 7 weeks pregnant....they took blood...and the normal tests and I followed up on the 16th for my first ultrasound. There it was plain as day...only looking like a small bubble...but it was definitely there...they had told me they heard a heartbeat (but i never heard one) I was scheduled for a 4 week check up on September 6th.....and that day is the day that I will never forget. It was a routine check up so I went in by myself. I felt normal...no out of the ordinary symptoms....and the doctor came in saying we would try to get a heartbeat today...but it varys with each pregnancy and we may or may not get one...there was no heart beat detected on the Doppler monitor so the doctor suggested we try an ultrasound....again no heart beat....(the whole time the doctor had the screen turned away from me so I could not see what she was seeing) I insisted on seeing my baby but she never complied...she said there was no heartbeat detected so they would try the trans-vaginal ultrasound...again no heartbeat.... she concluded by saying that i had a missed miscarriage....I could not understand how or why this happened...I had not experienced any signs or symptoms that anything was wrong...the doctor set me up with an ultrasound a week after her diagnosis to see if anything had changed and we are going to that appointment tomorrow....not sure what they will say....just curious to see if anyone has had any similar situation.....
Sincerely...Kat
Hi all,

This is the first time am posting a message online. I am sooo grief stricken today as I have just been told my precious baby has no heartbeat!!

I wailed so loudly and just wanted to die...this is my third pregnancy and third miscarriage!! Life can be so cruel. I literally don't know what to do and how I am going to move on. I have another appointment in a week to "confirm" the prognosis which the doctor told me would not be good as it is very rare for there to be a heartbeat after none is found.

I have read alot of the posts here and although they are sooo sad, they somehow comfort me to know someone else understands and feels the pain am going through. OMG!! OMG!! Am numb with grief and shock...thanks for reading my post. Take care all and may our dream of having a baby come true one day.
my wife is 9 weeks pregnant and today we found out baby has no heartbeat.  The doctor quickly recommended DNC and has scheduled my wife for D/C this coming wednesday.  I am sad and I just dont know what to do.
october 12 2011 when I went to get a sonogram. while she was doing it she couldn't hear a heart beat so she did it the vaginal and still no heart beat im 9wks&1day. since there was no heart beat she said its dead.so I have to wait until I miscarriage so idk I dnt have pain at all is it a possiblily my bby still alive
I was pregnant twice and both times my babies heart stop beating at 16 weeks the first time i had a d&c n the second time i had an emergency miscarriage provoked i had to delivered my dead baby is the worst experience ever. Til this day no doctor has answered my question why???
I am 10wks 7 days and the last two days was told from two us that n heartbeat but the baby measured 11 wks and normal size no pain no bleading and still have all symptoms was schedualed for d&c thismorning and did not go my body and heart doesn't tell me the same and I can hear it with a sthescope and others can to what to do
I went for my ultra sound scan today as 12 wks. Unfortunately it wasn't good news, my baby is the size of a 6 wk baby! There is no mix up with dates etc... I've not miscarried, just had the odd brown discharge which is meant to be normal. Everything seemed to be fine and was matching to the book. Feel very sad, confused and angry. I've been given another scan in a weeks time to see if any growth, if so, I still know it's bad news. Has anyone else experience this?!  
I do beleive in miracles like you.im in the same situation at 9 weeks there was no heartbeat i had 2u/s and 2 transvaginals on the same day and they couldnt find the heartbeat.Dr told me I had 3 choices to hane a dc or to take a pill or let nature take its course me and my husband told her that God had the last word next week I have another ultrasound.if i get the same answer I might just have to change doctors.one of my friend had the same situation but in her case they gave her the pill they didnt tell her what it was for until she asked them.they told her that it was to flush the baby out she told them wait a minute im not taking this she got a second opinion the baby was fine now the baby is healthy and 7 months old
i believe i am 12 weeks this week.  although i may be 10 or 11.  in any case, they tried to find a heartbeat with the doppler two days ago.  two nurses tried... nothing.  i was shocked because i feel pregnant and i have noticed my belly firming and growing.  they ordered an ultrasound.  no heartbeat.  they said that development was around 6 weeks.  i didn't expect any of this.  i thought i was just going to meet the doctor.  

i have had some brown discharge that began after intercourse earlier this week.  since then, it has not been very consistent, just here and there and small amounts.

they wanted me to do a d&c.  they did a pelvic ultrasound.  i don't want to give up hope.  i'm going back next week to request a vaginal ultrasound.  i just need to be sure.  there are a few cases of misdiagnosed miscarriages, but that's too many for me to accept that there is no hope.  

i'm hoping for the best!!!!  but i am so scared.  i feel for you and know what you are going through.
Hi my mum is pregnant 10 weeks, shes gone to the doctors and there is not a heartbeat, however she wnt 2 weeks ago, and they told her to go back today. however is very upseting as i thought everything will be fine, she has to return next monday, and see if theres a heartbeat, and if the baby has grown. i have faith in god.....omg im really worried hopefully everything will be fine.
Have just found out I'm not pregnant after my first scan at 13 weeks pregnant and I'm devastated. The sac is still growing but no baby in there
hi I wentfor my 12 week scan on Monday and was told baby measured at 9 weeks. at first we thought this was impossible and I told tech I had done pregnancy test 10 weeks ago (but intact was only 8 weeks ago) after hearing this he asked if I had any bleeding or cramps which I have had neither he showed us the foetus and looked normal but couldn't find a heartbeat. I was then put in a room and told I had a missed miscarriage. I still haven't had any bleeding cramps or indication that anything is wrong and on Monday they want me to have an abortion but something is telling me that there is a chance they were wrong and that because I got my dates wrong and told him 10 weeks not 8 that he maybe struggled to find a heartbeat and put 2 &2 together and stopped looking. I keep asking for a trans vaginal scan to confirm but they keep turning it round saying 100% sure it's gone. I have done the hardest part of breaking the news to family so I have accepted it but something just keeps telling me it's wrong and not to have abortion on Monday. I new I was pregnant before ieven missed a period I just kinda new (not a hippy or fortune teller or anything) and I'm getting the same feeling now I still have pregnancy symptoms and still no miscarriage symptoms. has anyone had similar or knows what they r talking about please help me xxxxxx
hi, i am 9 weeks pregnant, i went for a ultrasound  and found out that there is no heart beat, i was an emotional roller coaster, they were telling me i have three choices d&c, the pill or let nature take its course. they have only done one ultrasound and could not find a heart beat, I don't find that is enough although they had 2 other doctors check the ultrasound i need to know for sure, i wish that they would just try more, another ultrasound or even a vaginal ultrasound but they have not offered any i go back to the hospital in a few days and will tell them i will not go any further as we know our bodies the best, i have a feeling they made a mistake or that there is still hope to find one. If any of you are unsure i would suggest to do as many ultrasounds or as many things as you can before going through with an abortion or d&c. Many doctors make mistakes or sometimes in the babys position it is hard to find heart beat therefore i suggest to do as much as possible to be sure. even if there is no heart beat going through with this will give me more closure and hopefully for you as well. Best of luck to everyone, I will be praying for you
I am 13 weeks pregnant went for a u/s and they said the baby had past around 9 weeks I got sent home and told to wait for It to pass I'm not in pain and spotting anyone know how long and painfull this will be I don't even know what to look for :-(
My family doctor was able to find a heartbeat at 11.5 weeks, but at 13 weeks (Dec 5th), I visited my OBGYN for the first time, and the heartbeat couldn't be found.  I had a blood test, an internal and external ultrasound, and both internal and external ultrasound at another facility the next day - all of which confirmed that I had miscarried, likely within the few days before.  I waited a week with no symptoms, and after another blood test which confirmed that my HCG levels continued to plunge, I took my doctor's prescription to induce a natural miscarriage (Dec 10th).  I took the precription vaginally at 7pm, period-like cramps started at 9pm, progressing to very painful contractions and some bleeding at 11pm, and almost unbearable contractions by 3am.  At 3:45, the pain caused sudden vomitting and sweats, immediately followed by what felt like a sudden internal flush of clear fluid with the fetus.  The pain immediately subsided, and followed by regular contractions and the passing of more grey/pink tissue (sac), placenta and blood several times each hour until 7am.  Cramps, bleeding and occasional passing of tissue and placenta-looking clots continued all day (Dec 11th).  Bleeding is now fairly light - comparable to a 3-4th day of my menstrual cycles, and cramping/contractions are continuously less frequent.  The first 12 hours were the scariest - these things helped me cope with the emotional and physical pain:
-My husband stayed close and helped to comfort me through the pain, helped clean vomit, brought water and tea
-heating blanket
-Extra-strength Advil helped to reduce the pain (I stopped taking it after I doubled the recommended daily dosage in the first 5 hours) - I can't imagine how unbearable the pain would have been without it

Hope this helps
I am so sorry for all of you fellow women going through this heartbreak.I am 18 years old but turning 19 in few days(I was hoping for good news before my birthday). Last year I had a miscarriage at 3 & 1/2 months of pregnancy. Today I went to the doctor to be tested to see if i was really pregnant. (I took 2 pregnancy test at home both were positive) I passed the pregnancy test the doctors gave me as well. I was told I am 10 weeks pregnant but during the ultrasound I was told there was no heartbeat to be found. What I truly believe now is that I should hope for the best and ask God for a miracle. I hope the nurse just made a mistake but all I can do is pray. I'm having such a hard time especially since this isn't the first time for this to happen to me and my boyfriend. On top of that my sister had 7 miscarriages before she had her 3 beautiful children. I hope God allows me to have this child, but if not this little angel,I pray one day we can have a successful pregnancy. Any prayers would be greatly appreciated. My prayers go out to all you special women.
I want to thank you all for your posts! Just reading through has made me feel much more comforted. You are not the only one!!!
i had a scan at 8 weeks but was only measuring 6 weeks the next week went back for another scan no heart beat i cant get my head around it am now booked in for d and c on friday i cant get my head around how can this happen no bleeding no pain can anyone help me with this
i was diagnosed with pcos 20 years ago. Had fertility treatment to have my son 15 years ago. Met a new partner 5 years ago. tried for a baby for 3 years and nothing happened so decided to ask for treatment again only to be told at 43 i was to old. naturally got pregnant 2 months later. I had a scan at 9 1/2 weeks, the baby had a strong heartbeat. Went again for a 12 week scan and they couldnt detect a heartbeat, The baby had died at 11 weeks, i had no pain or bleeding. I opted for the d&c as emotionally wouldnt have been able to handle waiting for a natural mc and seeing the sac coming away. i did ask for a scan before they performed it a week later just for my piece of mind. My partner looked at the screen as i couldnt and he said the baby had started to crumple so i knew for sure the doctor was right and that i had made the right decision. That was in October last year. Found out today that i am pregnant again. So fingers crossed everything goes ok. Thought are with you all.
I am in the same position as your friend, was her HCG rising or falling when they told her to miscarry naturally? I really need to know. Please!
I'm sorry for your loss but I feel your pain. Today is Monday and I had the D&C done on friday 3/2/12. The thing that breaks my heart is that I had an ultrasound on 2/25/12 and they said my baby was 10w4d and hearing the sound of my baby's heartbeat was magical. It was very strong beats and it made me very excited. I'm also 18 years old, so i was skeptical to keep him/her. I've already had one abortion and that devastated me, and I knew emotionally I could not handle doing that once again. So I told my aunt I was pregnant and she wanted to make sure everything was okay with the baby and took me just a week later for an ultrasound -- 3/2/12. I knew exactly how far along I was, i should've been 11w4d. The doctor measure the baby and claimed that the baby was 10w4d... I couldn't believe it. The ultrasounds used by both doctors were both advanced and similar and I had the ultrasound picture as well. There was no longer a heartbeat.. and I had done the D&C right away. The baby gave me the chance to hear his/her heartbeat then passed away that day or the night after. That's breaking my heart still just knowing that... Ladies stay strong, someone told me that naming your unborn children will have you have a little closure. If it was a girl - Lyla Rose and boy - Cody Eli. As women, we won't forget our babies, and may they rest in paradise.
Am in a tough situation am thinkn of all horrible thngs,am in matric n am 3 wiks pragnant,I want this baby more than anything but am thinkng skool amd what it will do to my mum....I need advice
I am so sorry for everyone that has gone through this heartbreaking problem I to has go through the same thing. just Tuesday i went to my routine ultrasound,  at 11 weeks and found out my baby had no heart beat i could not believe it i am so devastated i had to do a d&c as well I could not wait to miscarry i could not do it i really wanted this baby i feel so sad and empty inside.  I would like to try again but i am so scared of this happening again. Can some one tell me what is going on there are to many women going through this problem and no now seams to know what the problem is.  Oh God Please HELP US
I had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks 5 days. Fetal heartbeat was at 87. I had my 2nd ultrasound today at 9 weeks. The technician said there was no heartbeat and it looks like the fetus stopped growing 2 weeks ago. I don't understand. I still feel pregnant. I have had no signs of miscarriage. I feel a second opinion is in order. Anyone else experienced this & what was the outcome.
Confused and anxious
I to was told at my 10 wk ultra sound that there was no heartbeat and that there has been no growth since 5wks. Very confused why would my body hold onto the pregnancy for 5wks. I still am pregnate and still have all the symptoms. I am asking for a 2nd ultra sound and internal ultra sound as well at our appt tom. I feel your pain, this is my 2nd 5wk misscarriage/ no growth. My 1st one was a spontanus abortion. this one my body is still holding onto.
I am feeling a lot less alone after reading all of these stories from women who have been through what I am experiencing. I was so broken hearted when I went to the ER for light bleeding only to find out that my 10 week old fetus had stopped developing at 8 weeks and that there was no heart beat or movement. I was devastated. Te next day I went to my doctor’s office to have a confirming ultra sound. I was pleading with God, please let it all be a big mistake, let them be wrong, let them find my babies heartbeat. Sadly that was not the case, still no heartbeat no movement. I was broken, torn, feeling disconnected from the world. It broke my heart to watch the monitor, looking at my baby just lying still and being told that it had been dead for at least a week. How could I not have known? My husband and I decided to schedule the D&C for Friday, November 2. I was terrified. However on Thursday evening I started having excruciating pain, it felt like my insides were coming out. I sat on the toilet for close to an hour as I passed chunks of tissue (my baby). You can’t make out what you see you just know that what you see can be any part of the tiny life that was inside of you. I plugged in the heating pad and put in on my abdomen the pain then subsided. It came back with a vengeance. I was on the toilet for another half hour passing more chunks. I am scheduled for a D&C in just a few hours. I will ask them to give me another ultrasound before the procedure. I just pray that my body was able to successfully pass everything on its own so that I don’t have to endure this surgical procedure. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Thank you for sharing your stories, you have given me hope and brought me a bit of relief, knowing that I am not the only one who's been through this traumatic experience.
I had a miss carriage at around 12 weeks naturally then not long after was delighted to discover I was pregnant again over the moon because I felt pregnant this time and I didn't the last have had no bad signs of anything but at my 12 week u/s the dr said i was showing 8 weeks and no heartbeat have to go back again for another just to make sure b4 I book a d + c I'm heartbroken but maybe in future can give my 15 month son a little brother or sister, sorry for all your losses xx
Just went for an ultrasound today I saw the baby, technician told me I was 9w 3 days but didn't show me the heartbeat could that mean I miscarried ?