Maternal & Child Community
10 weeks but small embryo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

10 weeks but small embryo

My daughter had an ultrasound today....according to her last period she should be 10 weeks but has had irregular periods for the past year.  During the ultra sound the doctor said the yolk sack was at the correct size for 10 weeks but the fetus was only 5 weeks in size with no detectable heart beat.  Doc is afraid the fetus is no longer viable but has scheduled another u/s next week to see if there is any growth.  Does anyone have any info.  How does the yolk sack correspond in size to the embryo.  Could she be just 5 weeks pregnant with a yolk sack larger? Has anyone had any experience with a situation such as this?
Hi there.
Unfortunately I went through this exact thing. I was supposed to be 10 weeks along, and the sack measured 10 weeks, but the fetus was no longer growing and had, infact, stopped growing at around 5 weeks.
In my situation the fetus was no longer viable, and they scheduled me for a D&C right away. I waited a week just to make sure, but it was true, I had lost the baby.
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but most likely your daughter has had a missed miscarriage... where the sack keeps growing, but the fetus doesn't.
I am very sorry..
I hope that this is a miracle case, but according to everyone else I have spoked with in the same circumstances - it ended in a miscarriage...

If this is, indeed, what is happening with your daughter, please direct her to this wonderful website www.fertilichat.com and have her go to the Coping secion and speak with some ladies there, they have really been a rock for me through the whole thing.

Please keep me updated... :(
im 10wks pregnant..i have an ultrasound also but it jst a small embryo ive see..im worriedbecause it my frst baby..it is a sign of miscarrieage o it is early to see?