Maternal & Child Community
10 weeks pregnant, bleeding , unusual U/S

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi i am 10 weeks pregnant and on Thursday i started bleeding (it looked like old blood brown coloured) then on friday afternoon the bleeding became red and heavier. i had a U/S which showed nothing at first and ten an hour of trying found a small beep like effect flashing dot but no sign of a baby. the midwife at our very rural hospital could comment as their U/S machine was not as up to date as a city hospitals. She thinks the baby has died but doesn't know i have to wait on an appointment fom a city hospital.

When i move about the bleeding increases slightly and if i move around slowly or just sit about the bleeding almost ceases completely. i have had no serious cramping no sign of tissue just blood sometimes browny sometimes red.

The midwife commented that i may have a uterus that folds over on itself and we just can see the baby but she thinks that there may be a yolk sac at the botton of the dark area on ultrasound but if so i can not be 10weeks pregnant as the size is to small. but we were trying to get pregnant used clear blue ovulation kit so i am definitely 10 weeks.

i do not know what to think what to say to my husband. i have absolutely no idea at all to what is happening if any one can bring any light to our situation it would be much appreciated.

thank you
Was the ultrasound one that was done through the vagina, or just through the abdomen?  

By ten weeks, you "should" be able to see fairly well if it was done vaginally.   Perhaps the MW wasn't as skilled using the ultrasound as she should be, and just didn't see it?

But there is no way to tell you what is really happening without waiting for the upcoming ultrasound, I'm afraid.  Don't lose hope, and I'm sorry you are going through all this worry.

Good luck.
With it being a country hospital they were only able to give me an abdominal scan so it is a waiting game to see what happens but the bleeding is worrying i leep expecting to miscarry.

thank you for your time
Hey All I can say to you is try and stay strong.  My friend once said to me, as I was waiting to miscarry, just put your faith in God. now I am not a religious person, but thinking that there might be a higher power did help, God blessed me with that pregnancy and he will get me through whatever was in store for me and dh.  On a positve note the fact that you only had an abdominal ultrasound done is a good thing, you can see much less with an abdominal than with a vaginal ultrasound.  keep your feet up stay in bed read a good book and just let the powers that be take your worry.  My mom has a cartoon on her fridge that shows an old man and he is bellowing down from the heavens,  your worry will not be needed today, as I am in charge, just move about and know that I will take care of everything.  God luck and keep us posted, you  your dh and little one are certainly in my prayers.
That IS hopeful if it was only done through the abdomen.  Sometimes there are other factors to consider if it was done that way, and no, you can't always see it well.
things have just changed slightly i am now getting blood clots small ones but still no pain. i will keep you informed thank you for your help
Sorry to hear of the new development I was hoping that your bleeding would stop.  As long as the clots don't have tissue it is still ok, but it definately sounds like a "threatened miscarriage"  Try to stay off your feet, have dh go rent some light comedy, lay in bed and watch a movie, hold hands have him rub your belly and just be together.  You are in my families prayers.  Blessings Lynn
Just wanted to send you prayers. Yes let us know how it goes.

Christine
I just wanted to say that when I was pg. for ds, I had bleeding similar to yours, although they seen him on the u/s, my ob told me to stay in bed until the bleeding had ceased for 3 days. Don't give up hope that there in nothing in your uterus. They told me not to worry unless I was soaking more than 1 pad an hour. But I don't remember if I passed clots. However, every pg. is diff., of course yours is not the same as mine, just thought I would give you a little insight to after I got the past the 12 wk. mark, things went pretty smoothly through out the rest of the pg.
Pray a lot and stay positive - and in bed!!!

Angie
Just wondering how you are doing?  Hope things are slowing down.  I am going to say a prayer for you.  Sweet dreams. Lynn
Here is an interesting story.  http://www.epinions.com/content_3524173956
I wish you the best and I hope that all is well.  You are in my prayers.
Thank you everyone,

I think i am miscarrying i am passing large clots and has as much blood as a fairly heavy period. i have to phone the midwife back at 8am and i suppose we will see what develops from there. I can say there is absolutely no pain. i am examining the blood but i really do not know what i am looking for. the not knowing is horrible. Thank you all for your best wishes
I read your article and many of the feelings you felt are what i am feeling now. a year and a half ago i lost a baby at 17weeks they could not find the heart beat they trolley me away gave me pills to enduce labour and then the baby was gone all because 1 person could not find a heart beat. til this day i always wonder what if they were wrong. I'll never know. As to this pregnancy something has not been right from the start at 6 weeks i was rushed to hospital with extreme pains they thought it was an ectopic they could not find anything not even the pregnancy they took hcg level made me come back 2days later found a wee dark sac 2.6mm 2 days again another 4.6mm a week later 14.2mm none of these size went with my dates which are exact. the hospital made no attempt to make me feel better. when scanned on fri past the sac they could see was 17mm by 20mm to small they say but my uterus can be folded over.

I have a little boy who will be 2 on saturday my pregnancy with him was difficult and i was told several times he might not make it and now he is nearly 2 and is 3ft in height and 3st in weight a big strapping lad so i am lucky atleast i have one many don't get this chance.

Thank you for the chance to read your story it has given me hope

Jill
I'm so sorry you're going through this.  My thoughts are with you.  I hope it is as painless for you as possible.  Many of us know what it's like - this is a good place to come for support.  Take care...
i am deeply touched by your story and was wondering how you are doing...i wish you all the luck in the world
Awwww I wish you better days ahead. It is so hard losing a child. I have lost 3 and it never gets any easier. I just try to picture my loved ones who have passed on holding my little ones and waiting for me.

A Baby's Secret

I am just a little fellow
Who didn't quite make it there,
I went straight to be with Jesus
But I am waiting for you here.

Dont' you fret about me, mommy,
I am of all God's lambs most blessed.
I'd have love to stay there with you
But the Shepherd knows what's best.

Many dwelling here where I live
Waited years to enter in.
Struggling through a world of sorrow
and their lives were marred with sin.

So sweet mommy, don't you sorrow,
Wipe those tears and chase the gloom.
I went straight to Jesus' bosom
From my lovely mother's womb.

Thank you for the life you gave me.
I'd have loved to bring it fame.
I have all of heaven's glory
suffered none of earthling's pain.

Daddy gave me something for you.
It's our secret, mommy dear;
He pressed it tight against my forehead
Whispered in my tiny ear.

I'll be waiting for you mommy,
you and daddy, brother and sis,
I'll be with you then forever
Then I'll give you daddy's kiss.

I thought this was so beautiful and I wanted to share it with you.

I had 3 loses before I had my daughter and I thought this was perfect and that it gave them all a voice.
How did it gowhen you called DR/MW (brain cramp can't remember who you said you had to call at 8am)I am praying htat yu c=got good news.  ((((()))))))xxxoooo  to you and yours.  Remember God is in Charge, we can't change anything.  Keep your chin up.  Lots of love and hugs Lynn
I WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING AS YOU LAST WEEK ONLY I DID HAVE CRAMPING.   MINE STARTED OUT AS BROWNINSH DRIED LOOKING BLOOD. A BY THE NEXT DAY IT WAS RED AND LATER THAT NIGHT I HAD 2 SMALL CLOTS. I WENT TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM AND 6 HOURS LATER THEY SENT ME HOME TELLING ME IM 6 WEEKS AND THE COULDNT FIND A HEARTBEAT OR MOVEMENT AND THE FETUS WAS VERY SMALL FOR WHERE 6 WEEKS SHOULD BE. AN BASICALLY THEY DIDNT KNOW IF MY BABY IS GOING TO SURVIVE OR IF IT IS EVEN ALIVE.THEY WERE NO HELP FOR MY WORRYING MIND!! I WENT TO MY REG DOC 2 DAYS LATER AND SHE ALSO COULDNT FIND THE HEARTBEAT OR ANY MOVEMENT AND A BLOOD TEST CONFIRMED MY FEAR THAT I WAS LOSING MY CHILD. MY HORMONE HAD DROPPED QUITE A LOT. TODAY IS MY FIRST DAY BACK AT WORK AND I JUST WANT TO GO HOME. MY EYES KEEP WELLING UP WITH TEARS.I FEEL LIKE **** EMOTIONALLY!
OK...the thread above is FULL and we can't open a new forum...WHAT's THE DEAL???
I just found this site, and naturally gravitated toward this particular thread. I am "suppose" to be 9 1/2wks. pregnant from LMP. I had an u/s done exactly a week ago b/c I was experiencing light spotting. I did not have any cramping. When I went to the ER, they told me the baby was 6wks in size (from conception), which would be exactly right. I was told I had a threatened miscarriage, but the baby looked fine. About two days ago, I started to have brownish and then pinkish discharge, so I went to my OB/GYN yesterday (7-19-04). She performed a vaginal u/s and she couldn't detect a heartbeat. Later in the day, I went back to the ER b/c I passed a very tiny blood clot, but it worried me. They didn't perform an ultrasound b/c my HcG levels were high. Now I am very scared b/c my OB/GYN could not find a heartbeat when she even admitted it was unusual by the 9th wk. of pregnancy...but ER docs tell me that I have high HcG levels. I had to have bloodwork done, then I have to go back for another on Wednesday so they can compare my HcG levels against each other over the two days. Should I even still have hope that my baby is still alive? Is this a miscarriage in action? I'm just so scared to have faith or to really give up hope. I am not in pain, the bleeding has never been heavy (in fact, the bleeding doesn't even soak a panty liner...then it stops completely for a day or so...and I'm not bleeding now). I'm so scared. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and good wishes.

I am afraid a miscarried over the weekend. to everyone going through similar just now i wish you all the best and my thoughts are with you.

Thank you
I am having a very similar situation. Light bleeding, no cramping, and should be about 8 wks (from LMP) At the 1st us, they just saw the the ges sac, then at the 2nd they saw the ges sac and a yolk sac. At the 3rd, they found a fetal pole but no heartbeat. SO I guess you know what I'm hoping to find at the next. My hcg has also been going up, and I am just holding on to my faith and praying that the babe is just too small or is in hiding at the moment. Doesn't it stand to reason that babies who can be 5 lbs in difference at birth can be different in sise from the beginning. I think Dr's are conditioned to prepare us for the worst, even if there are other explanations. Please don't assume the worst! There are SO many causes of bleeding, so try to think about all of the other things it could have been . My own Mom bled her entire 9 months with my brother (who is a strapping 6 ft4 in 30 year old man now) :)
Hang on to your faith in your baby! I'd love to know how are doing. Our next us is Friday. I'll keep you posted!
I'll say a little prayer for you and your baby.
Update: I went to an OB/GYN appointment today, and my NEW doctor was able to find the heartbeat (after 30 min. of trying to locate it). I am still worried, b/c I am still bleeding a little (not enough to go through a panty liner, but enough to see blood when I wipe).
Thank you very much for your support and prayers! I will keep you updated on my status! I'll pray that your u/s goes well!
I hope your testing shows you what you are hoping for, also :)
Thanks for your thoughts.
I'm so happy that you heard that happy heart beat! It makes you wonder how consistent our technology is, doesn't it? :)
Congrats on your good news!
Well, seems as though I've either dealt entirely with incompetent doctors at two ERs or just one overly hopeful OB/GYN! I just had a sonogram this morning and got the results back from my hCG blood test. Not only was there no heartbeat, but my hormone levels decreased by nearly 1500 in the past two days. Also, from the measuring size of the fetus on the screen, it was only 6 1/2 wks in size...meaning: I am suppose to be 9 1/2 wks pregnant, and I've gone to 2 ERs and 2 different OB/GYNs over the past two weeks, and NONE before today knew that the fetus was already dead almost the entire time I've even known I was pregnant. I'm so angry at the hospitals that sent me home saying that the baby looked fine, even though the baby was already dead! How could they not know this? I still wish the rest of you good luck in your pregnancies...Lord knows I won't be trying to have another for quite some time. Hopefully, I'll pass the fetus naturally, b/c I don't think I can cope with having a D&C.
Hello everyone. I read all your messages and i can relate to alot of them. Unfortunatly i had a miscarriage 4 months ago in which i had hemmoraged and had to have a D&C. I am now pregnant again almost 7 weeks along and i am frightened out of my mind! About 10 days ago i started having a light brownish-red discharge I went to my local doc and had a ultrasound and exam done. he had told me that my ultrasound was normal and my exam showed my cervix closed. Then 3 days ago i went to the emergency because it got more like a light period and more red. They also did a ultrasound and exam in which both came out good. baby's heartrate the first time was 134 and second time was 167. On my second ultrasound the tech said that she saw a little blood but could not tell me where it was coming from. And that everything looked like a normal pregnancy. This has been driving me crazy that nobody can tell me why i am bleeding. My ob is on vacation until the 19th of this month so i have about 2 more weeks before i can see him. The funny thing is that it starts and stops sometimes more red sometimes brown. I am so confused i just wish i had an awnser. i am also scared of getting my hopes up in this pregnancy because i fear i will loose it but according to every doc i've seen everything seems fine?????!!
Hi friends,
We all deal with some or the other emotional stress my is no different. I am pregnant ......MY last period was on 21st may and must have conceived around 15or 16th june thats  the time I got my ovulation pain. From 07/25/07 afternoon I started bleeding (though bleeding was not so much that it soaked my pad in an hour) and light cramping I called my nurse and went for a ultrasound . Ultrasound showed a concern  Dr. said u/s report says its is around 51/2 week size and my pregnancy should me around 8 weeks.There is all posibility of miscarraige (miscarriage) and asked me to do a blood test HCG blood test.my bleeding is still on today is 3 day cramping has increased. Dr. couldnt determine anything with the blood test and asked to repeat so that she can compare HCG values.....
Friends anyone of you have similar story....pls share I am quite stressed...............Am I passing through a missed miscarraige (miscarriage)........