Maternal & Child Community
10 weeks since LMP - baby measures 6 weeks 6 days with no fetal heartbe...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

10 weeks since LMP - baby measures 6 weeks 6 days with no fetal heartbeat

Hi!

I had my second prenatal appt yesterday, Dec. 2, 2008.  The first day of my LMP was Sept. 21, 2008.  I was under the impression I was/am 10 weeks.

The doctor was not able to find a fetal heartbeat using 4 different handheld dopplers on me so I was whisked away for a transvaginal ultrasound.  I was told by the ultrasound technician that my uterus was tilted/tipped/kattywhompkus.

I sensed that the ultrasound was not going super great by the technicians demeanor and her question "are you sure the first day of your LMP was Sept. 21?"  I am, it was.

I went back to the doc's office after the tech reviewed my ultrasound with the radiologist in the bowels of the hospital somewhere (I did not witness this, I was "toweling off" and getting dressed while she was away).  The nurse directed my husband and I down the loooooooooooooong hall to the very last exam room.  My stomach was turning inside out the entire time.

The doctor came in after speaking to the radiologist and asked me again if I was sure about the first day of my last period - Sept. 21., 2008.  Yes, positive.  She then said that the "baby measured 6 weeks 5 days" and there "was no fetal heartbeat detected by ultrasound."  She went on to add that "the baby stopped developing at 6 weeks 5 days" and that she was "95% sure that the pregnancy was no longer viable."

She left my husband and I alone at this time and I completely broke down, he did to in his own way.  We have been in a haze ever since.

I am going back in 6 extremely long days to get another vaginal ultrasound and meet with my doctor afterwards.  She felt fairly strongly that the next course of action would be a D&C.  Imagine hearing all this as if it were in an awful, horrendous dream in which you can't talk, that's pretty much where I was.

My periods were irregular at best.  I came off the pill in Sept. 2007 and did not get another period until March 2008.  They have been all over the place since but nothing exceeding 35 days.  I *feel* as if I have had some "phantom" periods in the past without bleeding but there is nothing inconclusive about that.

I have experienced absolutely no cramping, zero bleeding, nothing.  My breasts are as sore as ever and I have packed on some jiggle for sure.  I am tired and cranky and - well, I feel pregnant.

Is there anyone out there who has had such an experience or heard of such a thing?  Good, bad - any info or advice is appreciated.  I am a realist but I just feel that there are too many holes here.

PS:  She did not order any other tests for me, no blood - nothing.

Okay - thanks!  Blessings!
I actually experienced something very similar. I went in for my first dr's appt thinking I was 9 wks 3 days along based on my LMP but a transvaginal ultrasound measured the baby at 6 wks 6 days and no heartbeat was seen at that point. My dr told me that it was possible that I just conceived later than I thought and scheduled an appt two weeks out. Well, five days after that appt I ended up in the ER with heavy bleeding and passing clots, no cramping. Very scary but my husband and I tried to remain positive and kept praying. Well the u/s that night revealed a healthy baby with a strong heartbeat and unexplained bleeding. I am now 14 wks 2 days along with no other complications. So my advice is to make sure everything that can be done is done before going through with a D&C. Make sure they check your hcg levels to see if they're doubling, do a follow up u/s to see if they can find the hb, and try to stay positive. A few days can make a huge difference. I will be praying for you. Take care and God Bless. Hope all goes well.
If your periods were quite, quite irregular and could have had long, long phases, it is possible that you ovulated very late by the usual standard.  Then you might have a story like nsrchofbaby's.  Sometimes no heartbeat is seen as late as the 6th week which has got to be, as she said, when a woman ovulates late.  Do ask for two beta hCGs two days apart.  If your hCG numbers are going down, it will be a clearer indicator for you at this point I think than just an ultrasound, given your period history.  Good luck.
Thank you for your words of advice and encouragement, they are much appreciated!  I did phone my doc's office to inquire about some blood work, when (if) they get back to me I will insist.  Thank you!
i just had the same thing happen to me. i go back tomorrow and i'm terrified. i hope all goes well with you. blessings.
Thank you so much for replying to "giapaCLE" and for having a positive outcome. Yesterday I went to the hospital for my first u/s, being told that I was 10 weeks pregnant and the baby measured only 6 and a 1/2 weeks with no heartbeat heard. My family doctor told me over the phone that I may have miscarried at that point but I have had no cramping or bleeding and still feel very much pregnant. My husband and I calculated me to be about 8 weeks or so but my doctor wont listen and even suggested a D&C . He did not investigate any further but after reading everyone's comments about hcg levels and being tested to confirm they are still rising, I now know what the next step should be. I have contacted another doctor and am seeing him on monday for a second opinion, thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one out there that this has happened to and that doctors aren't always right. We are definitely hopeful that everything will be alright, thank you!
You're welcome. I know it's very scary and sounds highly unlikely that you would've ovulated soooooo late but here I am at 21w4days, proof that dr's aren't always right. I was very lucky that my dr didn't come out and say he was thinking the worst. I'd had 5 normal 28 day cycles before the month I conceived my baby girl on cd 32! Keep your faith, insist that all possible tests are run, get another u/s, etc. You are in very good shape, no cramping or bleeding. I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you get the best possible results. Take care and please keep us updated. Your story may help keep other women in this situation positive. :)
I woke up this morning with slightly tinged brown mucus and thought  I should go to the dr. Last week I was told by a nurse doing the u/s that my baby was only 6 weeks and i was supposed to be 9 weeks but my mom thought she saw a heart beat and so did the nurse. Today we went in for the emergency visit and the second nurse did another u/s and said I still measured 6 weeks though the baby looked larger to me. maybe it was thescreen size...? She said it looked like the baby had stopped developing at 6 weeks and that there was no heartbeat. She didn't take very long before coming to that decision and then was done with the whole thing. They advised I should have a d&c so I set one up for tomorrow at 10. I had not felt like I had miscarried. I went home and cried all day, until my mom called a friend who was a nurse and told me that the baby could just be small yet. That's when I called to set up another ultrasound just to be sure and asked that they do hcg levels. They insisted that their nurse was the best and knew what she was doing. I have no doubt of that but I am now inspired to see this through. I know that God can do anything. And I know that He can even give life where there was none. I will pray for you all to have a good outcome on this.