Maternal & Child Community
10 year old daughter got her period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

10 year old daughter got her period

My 10 year old DD got her first period, back on November 19th.  Way too early and both of us were very shocked.  Then 19 days later, she woke up this morning w/ another HEAVY period.  The periods are way too close together, and heavy, so should I consult with her pediatrician?  Also at what age do girls need to go to the Gynocologist?
Tags: Period, 10 year old, daughter
I got my period at 11 and my mom took me to my first appointment right after that. If you are worried about how heavy it is, I would definitely talk to her pediatrician and also make an appointment with her gyno.
I was 11 as well, so I don't really think 10 is early at all. And it will take awhile for her periods to become regular so I wouldn't worry too much, but like Victoria1 said it's good to go to the gynecologist after your first period (Although it's not suggested/referred by pediatricians until age 16 usually, it's still a good idea). but you can definitely take her to the pediatrician if you're worried.
i was 10 when i got mine. it was irregular for years. i didn't go to a gynecologist til i was 18.

"The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends that girls first see a gynecologist when they're between the ages of 13 and 15. Not all girls will need a pelvic exam during this initial visit, though. Many gynecologists will just do a regular health exam and talk to a girl about her development."
http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/sexual_health/first_gyn_exam.html
That's what it is then, it's BY 16. I knew it had something to do with the age 16...hm. LOL