Maternal & Child Community
11 yr old daughter diagnosed with ADD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

11 yr old daughter diagnosed with ADD

After about 6 months of being monitored by the school, Dr and us we finally have a diagnosis.   At 1st we had thought it was behavioral issues, then we thought learning disabilities but her basic skills tests came back very good.  Out of the criteria for diagnosing she has 8 out of 9 things they look for.  I'm greatful she doesn't have the hyperactivity with it.   We started her on medication today and I'm hoping we get positive results soon.  It's so hard watching her struggle everyday to do the simpliest things.   Wondering if anyone else has any experience with this.
What are some of the signs that one would display if she has ADD.  My 11 year old daughter has become anger lately and doesn't want to listen etc ...  She is very moody from day to day.  One day she is sweet and caring and the next she mean and acting up.  
1) often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes
2) difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
3) trouble listening when spoken to directly
4) does not follow through on instructions,  fails to complete homework, chores
  not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand
5)difficulty in organizing tasks and activities
6) avoids or dislikes or reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort
7) often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (toys, school assignments, pencils, or books)
8)is easily ditracted by extraneious stimuli
9) often forgetful in daily activities
My daughter has all but #6.   She becomes easily frustrated and lashes out.  
Saying mean things or trying to hit/kick her sibling.
9) often forgetful in daily activities
I work in an Alternative Classroom and have several kids in my room with ADD and ADHD.  Indeed, you should be grateful it isn't ADHD as I feel that these kids do have a lot of behavioral issues.  Still ADD should be taken seriously. There should be someone to work with her.  I can't remember if ADD children qualify for special education or not... Let me get back to you a little later today after I look over some notes and while I'm no expert, perhaps I could make a few suggestions for her!  Remember, this is mild and coudl be so much worse.  These kids are still so loveable and intelligent... they just have trouble focusing!  
That sounds like typical puberty to me!!!

I feel your pain, sister, but it does get better I promise.
Thank you!   I would appreciate any advice or suggestions that anyone could offer.
What meds is she on.  We put my 7 DS on Focalian 10mg about six months ago.  His grades went from 50's to almost 80's and his disapline in school went from poor to excellent.  All this within the same month we started him in.  The only problem we have now is that it wares off before we can do after school activities such as homework or baseball.  Dr.s started him on the Daytrana patch instead of the pill on Monday.  It is time released and lasts alot longer.  So far getting him to do is homework this week has been no trouble.  We have not had baseball this week so I don't know about that.  Good luck.
I am doing student teaching in a kindergarten class right now with a 6 year old ADHD child! I have been trying to work with him a little more "one on one" and it seems to be helping him soooo much! He is medicated but is currently out of medication (a little irresponsible parenting is invoved in his case, too). So he has been soooo hyper and unable to pay attention. I feel so horrible for him because he is so smart and he WANTS to focus!!!! I just think the 1 on 1 help worked so great for him the past few days. If your school will offer that for your DD definately take advantage of that! And you are right, you're very lucky that she doesn't have the hyperactivity issue, too! :)
Yeah, I know.  Now she wants to go around the block on her bike on her own - no way from me - she hates it :-)  I have to protect my baby.  Then there are the short shorts, nope don't buy them she hates that too!!  Oh well.  She started her af all ready.  She started about three months ago - she is only 11.  
My 9 year old daughter has it, I think. I've never had her tested, but I'm pretty sure it's ADD. She forgets what she's saying all the time, mid sentence and then says "Oh, never mind"! When she calls me at work she will forget why she called. She loses things for school or soccer nearly every day. Since Kindergarten they have had concerns about her not being able to concentrate and her reading comprehension is way low. She is in fourth grade and has a 3rd grade reading level. Lower than my 7 year old who is in 2nd grade and reading at a 5th grade level. She is the sweetest of all my girls. She is caring and sensitive and not at all defiant. But very, very highly emotional. She cries about everything easily and gets frustrated VERY easily. Last year her teacher compared her to some other girls in the class by observation, marking her behavior and theirs. She scored pretty high on distraction low on concentration. I feel so bad for her and have wondered if I should get some kind of formal testing for her. I just hate the thought of putting her on any kind of drug. I have worked with her, trying to get her to concentrate and finish her thoughts, but I think it's getting to be time to get her evaluated, unfortunately. I feel so bad for the kids dealing with this.
I was wondering if I needed to let her softball coach, etc. know.  I really don't want to because even though it's nothing for her to be ashamed of she will be stereotyped and I don't want that.  Her teacher does know, she's the one that initially brought it to our attention, she's also a friend so I'm not concerned with her telling other people.
Thanks for your help and advice!
My oldest son was diagnosed with ADD,  and I'm sure I have it also (it does seem to be genetic!).  We have a joke between us,  that other people have Attention Surplus Disorder - in that they are happy muddling through the most BORING LONG tasks that we just refuse to do.  ;D

This will make your daughter struggle through school,  because of the structure and inflexibility.  When she's older and can choose how to live her life,  she can pick things that match her abilities and not be forced to sit in one place completing long boring useless tasks.  ADD is also a gift - probably,  she's very creative and her thought processes are creative.

My oldest was on a low dose of ritalin from kindergarten - 4th grade when he insisted on getting off it and struggling to focus.  He's graduating high school this year,  and is diong great.  

Best wishes.   Once she begins to understand herself,  and mature,  with guidance she can make great choices and do very well.
Does the emotional part have to do with ADD also? It sounds like they are about the same. It's so sad! Her grades are suffering also. She gets highly annoyed over little noises, too and then cries. It's frustrating...
I agree that they should be able to learn to monitor themselves and learn how they work best. I just have such a hard time with drugs. I've been waiting for my 9 year old to grow out of it, but it seems to be getting worse. My SIL jokes that my brother, mother and I all have it, too! She says to watch us all talk is hilarious because we jump from topic to topic, cut each other off, don't finish sentences and to us that's normal! To her it seems highly disorganized though (:
The Dr told us some of the emotional overreacting may due to the ADD but they can't be certain.  I'll let you know if that improves while she uses the meds.
I am in no way advocating on medicating children.  For us right now there just doesn't seem to be another alternative.  If my daughter was opposed to it we wouldn't do it but she wanted to try it also.

Rockrose-  that's great that your son managed on his own since 4th grade.  
Was it constantly a struggle for him or was he able to learn easily to focus on his own once he made the decision to go off the medication?  
I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer, just lots of questions. You will have to let me know if the emotional part does get better. My guess is that it will get somewhat better. Keep us updated. I'm thinking it might be something we have to decide to do also.
Here is what I have in my notes from a course that studied students with exceptionalities.  

ADD- Attention deficit disorer is a syndrome characterized by serious and persistent difficulties in teh following threee specific areas:
1. Attention Span
2. Impulse Control
3. Hyperactivity (sometimes)

3-5% of our school-age population is affected by ADD

ESTABLISHING THE PROPER LEARING ENVIRONMENT (things your daughters teachers should be doing)
*Seat student with ADD near the teacher's desk but include them as apart of the regular class seating
*Place these students up front with tehir backs to the rest of the class to keep other students out of view
IN OTHER WORDS, THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR A TEACHER TO HAVE YOUR DAUGHTER IN THE BACK OF THE ROOM
*Avoid distracting stimuli.  Try nto to place her near air conditioners, high traffic areas, heaters, or doors or windows
*Children with ADD do NOT handle change well.  Avoid transitions, physical relocation, changes in schedule and disruptions

PARENTS shoudl set up appropriate study space at home, with set times and routines established for study, parental review of completed homework, and periodi notebook and or bag organization

When speaking to your daughter (for you and her teacher):
Maintain eye contact during verbal instruction
Make directions clear and concise and always be consistent with daily instructions
Make sure she understands instructions BEFORE beginning the task
Repeat the instructions in a calm positive manner if she needs you to

And this is very important:
PROVIDE ENCOURAGEMENT
Reward mroe than you punish in order to build her self esteem
Praise her immedietely after any and all good behavior and performance
Change rewards if they are not effective in motivating behavioral change
Find ways to encourage her
Teach her to reward herself!  Encourage positive talk (e.g. You did a good job of staying in your seat today?  How do you feel about that?)

Also I found interesting that "Allowing chldren with ADD to play with younger chlidren is a good thing if that is where they fit in.  Many children with ADD have more in common with younger children than with their age-peers.  They can still develop valuable social skillls from interaction with younger children.  

This is all from an article I have in my notes.  I'm no expert but I thought it might be helpful to you.  
Thank you for taking the time to look up those notes.  They will be helpful for all of us.
I don't know how hard it was for my son to focus on his own - in fifth grade,  they were changing classes many times a day - so that was a tremendous help for him.  That sitting in one place all day long just shut his brain down like a video camera going into standby mode.  If he got the chance to get up,  switch rooms and subjects,  it was really improved.  So in middle school he got even better - going to 8 classes a day was terrific for him.

He still loses stuff a lot,  and won't buy an expensive watch or sunglasses because of that.  But academically he's fine,   and socially he's doing great.

I wish the best for your daughter.  Hopefully when she goes to middle school she'll improve her focus.  I think the most important thing when they're that age and struggling with ADD is to make sure she always has a circle of nice girlfriends,  even if that means you always have to be the mom who hosts sleepovers and runs them to the movies or the water park.  Friends make all the difference.

Another piece of advice,    I never told anyone he was on ritalin,  and I'd lie on the health forms for soccer and cub scouts,  etc.  Why do they need to know?  They don't.   He never took ritalin at school - only in the morning,  and never at recreational activities.  It's not like a deathly allergy or heart problem,  they don't need to know,  and the fewer people who know,  the fewer pre-judge.

Best wishes.
Exceptions to the no telling rule:

1.  Sleep away camp
2.  chaperones at overnight activities.

I know at the camp I am on the board of we have a nurse who dispenses all meds as we legally can't have them in the cabins.  Only the nurse knows.
I agree,  if your child is taking meds at those places the chaperones need to know.

My son never took meds for anything except school  mornings,  never took a dose anywhere except my own kitchen,  so no one needed to be informed.

As a cub scout leader,  I was amazed at how many places those cub scout sign up sheets go - and how EVERYONE in leadership knows your kid has ADD and is on what medication if you fill out that part truthfully.  Why in the world does a cub leader of  completely other kids need to have your kid on that list?  Makes no sense to me.  

Best wishes.
My daughter is very emotional too.   It wasn't an easy decision to try medication but it was to the point where she can't complete daily functions and her grades have suffered.  All her teachers tell us the same thing, she's such a sweet child and tries so hard but just can't focus.  We know it's not a learning disability because they tested her in all situations and when she tested in a room alone with no open windows or any distractions her scores were above normal.  When she takes the same test in a room with other kids she scored below level.   Her reading level is 1.5 yrs below where she should be but on her basic skills test she showed to be 1 yr ahead.  She gets so frustrated but seemed really relieved yesterday when the Dr explained ADD to her and told her it wasn't something she could control on her own right now and maybe they could find the right medicine to help her.  
Only tell people who will have to give the meds...