Maternal & Child Community
12 hours by 12 weeks old??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

12 hours by 12 weeks old??

Hello, ladies.  I haven't posted in a while and was wondering how everyone was doing...I also had a question.  One of my collegues recommended a book to read on how to get your child to sleep 12 hours a night by 12 weeks of age.  She swears by this book and tells me that she now sleeps through the night and so does the baby thanks to this book.  I went to amazon.com to read reviews on the book and some reviews are pretty tough saying that it's child abuse and that the baby should feed at night and not sleep.  What is your opinion on skipping night feedings and do you really believe that it would interfere with baby's ability to thrive.  For those of you who are interested in the book it is called "12 Hours sleep by 12 weeks old" by Suzy Giordano. As always, thank you for your replies.
My DS was sleeping through the night by about 8-9 weeks old.  Not 100% consistent, but pretty well.

If they wake up and are starving then I think it's best to feed them, but if they can be soothed back to sleep without a feeding then try it.  It did work for me.  I don't think the cry it out method is good at that young age in the middle of the night though.  

You'll have to decide what your baby really needs at that particular moment, rather than forcing a schedule on him that he's not ready for.  Are you breastfeeding?
I would like to read the book. My DD is 6 1/2 months old and still isn't sleeping through the night. I would love some ideas. She usually wakes up and acts like she is starving but every once in awhile she will sleep all night, very rarely though.
Tiffany
I have a toddler, and i'll tell ya, at 12 weeks old they shouldn't be sleeping that long without a bottle unless they want to. I believe the babies decide when they want to do things such as sleep through the night.And some kids do sleep thru the night early on, but 12 hours??!! My little guy didnt sleep thru the night until he was ten months old! And we tryed everything, even the Ferber method. He stopped getting an overnight bottle at 4 months, but continued to wake once a night anyway. After trying so many things, he was on the verge of being 10 months old. we gave up, let him be, and THEN he started to sleep thru the night! That taught me a lesson!If your kiddo is sleeping thru the night, thats great! but to make them go 12 full hours at that age without a bottle is a shaky idea at best if they still want that bottle. Its only my opininon, good luck! :) :)
My doc told me if my son slept for 6 hrs at a time when he was that age, that was sleeping through the night. I do not personally think its a good idea to sleep for 12 hrs at at time...but that is me and I am no doctor.
However, if a baby at 12 weeks wakes up crying, the first thing I would do is give him a bottle.

Pmom- are you giving your baby enough food before he goes to sleep?  My ds slept through the night around 3 / 4months, but he had almost a 6-8 oz bottle so he was nice and full. But he went down aroud 9pm after a bottle and woke around 5am and we fed him ..and then he snoozed again until 730 when we took him to daycare.

He got up at 5am for a very long time for breakfast until we started cereal.  But I held of on cereal untl almost 9 months at my peds advice.  Some people give babies a lot younger than that cereal but that's just not something I think is good. (personal preference)

Do you let him/her sleep a lot during the day also?  We tried to limit naps to 12-3 and then maybe again around 5 or 6 for a little cat nap. and we played with him a lot to tire him out.
HTH
Starash makes a good point that I didn't comment on.  12 hours is a lot.  When I say my DS was sleeping through the night, it certainly was not 12 hours.  It was about 7-8 hours, and he was a definitely a hungry guy when he woke up.
When I had my DD I was nursing. At the hospital they made me wake her every 3 hrs to feed & told me I shpuld continue to do that at home. So at home I would wake her up to feed her. BIG MISTAKE. With this baby I will let him/her sleep till ready to eat. My DD never learned how to get into a deep sleep at night & never slept through the night till she was 2yrs old.
From my breast feeding experience its VERY different from bottle feeding! YOU HAVE TO FEED ON DEMAND! Becasue unlike the bottle there's no way of really knowing how much the are getting so, unless you are going to do breast and bottle than consider your self like Denney's and IHOP........open 24hrs lol.
GOODLUCK.
Like Denny's and IHOP, ahahahaha!  :-)
12 hrs seems like a very long time for a 12 wk old baby to sleep without eating.  My daughter slept all night 8 hrs from the 1st night we brought her home but she would drink 6 ounces of formula with each bottle.  We would have fed her if she woke up.
Well she eats about 8 oz of cereal and takes a pcifier to go to sleep. She goes to bed around 8:30 and wakes up anywhere from midnight to 3:oo am, just depends. Now last night she went to bed at 8 and slept till the alarm went off this morning a 5 which is great. She only takes 2 naps a day, one in the morning for about an hour, then in the afternoon after she has her baby food, at that time I only let her sleep for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. She does eat at a normal shcedule during the day. So I am still at a loss on what I could do.
Tiffany
12 hours is definately a bit much.  I have also always heard that when they are small like that meaning before 3-4 months of age you should not let them go any longer than 6 hours without eating because a baby's sugar level can drop just like ours.  I too breastfed and at the hospital was told to nurse every two to three hours, but once I got home not to go any longer than 4-5 hours during feedings.  If the baby hadn't woke by then to wake him.  He is 12 weeks old now and will eat at about 9pm, go to sleep and not wake again until about 4:30-5:00am.  I think that in itself is wonderful! But you best believe when he wakes he is HUNGRY! So I guess it is up to the individual baby and how they react to sleep and hungry but I definately would not try 12 hours of sleep that just seems ludicrous to me (personal opinion)!
Thank you everyone.  I also thought that 12 hours was a bit much.  If my baby sleeps through the night (anywhere from 5-8 hours) I"ll be a very happy mom!  My baby's due October 14th  but judging from my sister's experience I wanted to read up on how to get your baby to sleep to be ready.  She has a one year old DD who still doesn't sleep through the night (they're very happy if she sleeps 6 hours straight).  She also made the mistake of waking her DD up to feed her b/c she was told that was the thing to do.  She didn't want to starve her baby but did not think of the fact that if they're hungry, they'll let you know!  I'm planning on breastfeeding and I hear that breast milk is digested easier therefore, more feedings are needed than with the formula.  I guess I'll let the baby sleep unless she wakes up herself to feed during the night.  How about during the day?  Should I follow the same routine, let her wake up then feed her or should I follow the strict 3-4 hour feeding schedule???
If you encourage feedings during the day, instead of letting them sleep for long periods of time, they will tend to sleep longer at night.
My 11 year old dd and 9 year old ds were sleeping about 11 to 12 hours a night from 7pm to  6 or 7am every night at the age of about 10 to 12 weeks but it was by their choice. They were sleeping 8 to 9 hours a night by 6 weeks by their choice. I think every baby is dfferent and the baby decides when they are ready. At 6 months old they should be sleeping through the night though.
I agree with everyone else 12hrs at night without waking is alot. Not to mention that we as GROWN FOLK don't even do that unless we have really bn sleep deprived. How old is the baby? Making sure the baby is full b4 he/she goes down for the night is the key. Whether or not you put cereal in the bottle or not(I didn't do it with my first or thrid, but my second one HAD to have it!)is up to you. She was about four months old and screaming BLOODY MURDER everynight. I broke down and couldn't take it. I put one tsp of rice cereal in the bottle(only her night bottles at that point) and we were all good.
My baby is three months old she has acid reflex terribly!  She practically sleeps in her little bouncer I feel so bad, but what am I to do she spitts up all the time. I have been reading up on Dr. Browns bottles what is your opinion on that. Also she is still waking up every three hours even through the night, when did your baby sleep longer through the night! What is your advice on that, I tell you I am so tired I am getting like no SLEEP!

My 8 month old has been sleeping 10 - 11 hours most nights since he was 6 1/2 months, he was nursed exclusivley until solids were introduced at 6 months. It really does all depend on how much he nurses and naps during the day on how long he sleeps at night nowadays. I have even had one  12 1/2 hour night!
Hey there moms I was also wondering what was the best bottle used for babies with acid reflex and colic and what are some good activities to help my baby enjoy more tummy time she doesn't like it but I think its because she still can't hold her head up too long!
How old is your baby? I suggest Avent its a great bottle.
Wow so before any more posts on here check the date it was a year ago...
i use avent bottles and doc browns cleaning brush to clean them. i do not burp my baby except maybe once a day(a full feeding and he is going to be lyng flat on back). when burped he never spits up except 2 times since birth and it was just a little on his mouth and he is 12 weeks old). he is breastfed too. i heard that women can have milk come in after their babies are even a few months old. maybe try nursing your baby to sleep even if there isn't any milk. that might help with the sleeping because nursing makes them so happy(even if they are full). i never want to let my baby eat to the point he is miserable, for that reason sometimes an improper latch on is good for him so that he soothes himself to sleep. so nurse even if you do not have milk. i also use the tropical rainforest waterfall crib item. it plays has the cricket sounds and different lights and my son also loves his mobile and is learning to communicate to me which one he prefers at the moment.
I have read 12 hours by 12 weeks.  I don't think it works at such an early age.  However, I did like the direction it provided with charts and structure.  I read several books on sleeping and they all had the same basic advice.  Keep a 4 hour schedual.  Have a sleeping buddy.  Some disaggreed on the use of pacifiers.  Don't put your baby down while they are eating.  Make sure they are awake when you put them in bed so they can learn to go to sleep on their own.  Don't use crutches such as swings, vibrating beds/seats, or cars.  Something I found that works is to make sure they are very warm.  Layer their pj's.  Put on socks.  Use full piece footed pajamas.  Lots of babies wake up simply because they're cold, not because they are hungry.  We immediately try to soothe them with food.  Her thinking and tips are good, but I couldn't get mine to sleep 12 hours by 12 weeks.  He did sleep longer.  Another point she makes is that they may not sleep the whole time, but as long as they are in their crib resting or playing they are accomplishing the goal.  My 6 month old is in his crib for 12 hours sleeping or playing, but he is resting and happy!