Maternal & Child Community
12 weeks placental abruption

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

12 weeks placental abruption

i"m wondering if anyone has had this happen (and gone on to have a healthy baby).
I started bleeding at 6 weeks--bled heavy for 1 1/2 weeks, then tapered to brown spotting.  7 week ultrasound showed a baby with a normal heartbeat, they called it 'implatation bleeding'.  Light brown spotting continued up until present.  

I just had my 12 week ultrasound and they diagnosed a 3cm x 1.5 cm area of hemorrage above the cervix (consistent with old blood/prior abruption).  I am having cramping, and very light brown spotting. (cramping started after my pap test on thursday--where my cervix bled quite heavily for about 24 hours afterwards-then tapered off to brown discharge)

Is this area of hemorrage a concern for miscarriage? Has anyone had this and done fine?
It certainly puts you at higher risk. You should at least take it easy, and should consider avoiding sex (if Dr. hasn't already outlawed it). Many women do have perfect babies with this problem, but be prepared to bleed on and off throughout your pregnancy, and probably be induced early.
Im not sure if it's the same I had, but it sounds like it... I had also very heavy bleeding at 6.5 weeks (used 3 pads/hour for 2 to 3 hours, three days in a row). After that smaller bleeding like once a week until 12 weeks. At 12 weeks they said I had a subchorionic hemangioma of 3x2x2 cm. This is a bloodclot between placenta and uterus, so the placenta let loose, but they never called it an abruption...
Anyway, this clot went away by itself by week 18. I had more complications, but they were due to the fact that the placenta implanted on top of my previous c-section scar...
So, I hope that everything goes well for you! Oh, and by the way, don't panic if your AFP comes back a little high, bleeding earlier in pregnancy can do that!
Thank you to everyone who responded. My question for you guys..for those of you that had that hemorage pocket on ultrasound, (that eventually cleared up)--did you have cramping and continual bleeding? I'm finding i am cramping badly the last few days, and I'm not bleeding until I go to the bathroom--about once a day (last night before bed, and just about an hour ago) --I pass a large volume of blood tinged mucous (definately a orangey-red color), followed by brown discharge upon wiping (ie. its quite mucousy in that I have to wipe a few times--sorry for graphic detail). Then nothing for about 12-24 hours--my pad is empty, until the cramping starts back up. Im' not sure if i'm heading towards miscarriage as we speak. I am having a follow up ultrasound next monday--to see if baby still ok, and how big hemorage pocket is...
I had same thing with 2nd pregnancy.  I started spotting at 5 weeks.  Dr. said it was implantation at first.  At six weeks they found a "good" heartbeat.  I was put on bed rest for 2 weeks.  At twelve weeks, I started really heavy bleeding and was hospitalized.  Dr. was not very optimistic and referred me to a high risk specialist.  I continued to bleed through pregnancy.  Sometimes very bright (new) blood, but mostly very dark (old) blood.   I had a c section at 37 weeks.  It was a very scary pregnancy that required a lot of bed rest and monitoring, but my daughter was born perfectly healthy!
Hello, I didn't have any bleeding, but I had what they called lakes in my placenta. It is when blood pools in the placenta. Not really sure why this happened. I had many us and started to do stress tests. I had my DD at 30.5 weeks after my placenta detatched. She is now 2 and very healthy and full of life. I would suggest that you try not to lift anything heavy and I know easier said ,but try to stay relaxed. Any stress we have goes to the baby. Try to be positive Take care and good luck

If you have anymore quetions don't hesitate to ask
After heavy bleeding, an ultrasound last week at 16.5 weeks showed that I have a slight seperation of the membrane and was put on bed rest.  What I have gathered so far, from my many visits to the doctors afraid that I was/is miscarrying is that the pain is because the bleeding in the uterus/placenta feels acts like a bruise and hurts plus the pain is also because your body is trying to heal the seperation/tear.  I am still very worried however, evertime I feel that things are getting better I start to bleed and have abdominal pain again.  Does anyone know how long it takes to heal?
I have the same thing going on at 17 weeks.  I am anxiosly waiting for my follow up ultrasound on Thursday.  Did your ultrasound on Monday show that your baby is still ok?
i started bleeding at 6.5 weeks from my placenta seperating the seperation was 3.5 cm i was put on bed rest and then released after the bleeding stopped now i am 11 weeks and started bleeding today the doctor  told me back on bed rest and that we have to wait and see thats hard to do i am scared i just want it to stop
I began bleeding a week and a half ago the bleeding stopped within 24 hours of starting.  We lost a baby 6 months before i got pregnant this time. I thought that I was losing this baby got very depressed and then when the bleeding stopped I got very excited. Well within the past 3 days I began bleeding again this time it started with a small clot so i was sure that it was happening I knew i was losing the baby. I went to the ER and this is when I was informed I had blood behind my placenta of course not knowing what this meant I began to resarch on here. After reading and reading everything seemed 50/50 one good story one bad story I decided to contact my friend who is an RN and she informed me I was having placena abruption! Can anybody tell me what this means and what are my chances of having a healthy baby?? ANY HELP AT ALL =(
I'm 6wks and 2 days pregnant. About a wk and 3 days ago i started flowing heavy blood and when i made it to the rest room a golf ball size clot came out. I figured i had a miscarriage. The bleeding slowed down and completely stopped the next day. 2 days later i began to have bad cramping and small amounts of bleeding. This accured on and off for a wk until 1 night i started having cramps that reminded me of labor pains. I counld'nt move. This pain (labor pains) caused me to take motin 800mg. after an hour the pain stopped. My husband begged me to go to the hospital the next morning. We went and i assumed i had a miscarriage. After spending 8 hrs r so in ER, several test later (vaginal ultra sound, blood work, IV fliud, and nausea medication) the doctor told me i was still pregnant bc at 6.2 wks they can see a heart flickering/beating. I was shocked bc after having 3 children (healthy but animated) I have never experienced such craziness in a pregnancy. I'm 35 years old just incase u r wondering. The doctor told me the reason for the bleeding is bc of placenta abruption. She told me i had a 50/50 chance of having this baby and there was nothing they can do. I was told to stay away from my husband (no sex, lol). Which is easy to do bc he hates his sex with a side order of blood. I decided to do my own research bc the thought of sitting around and waiting for the pain to come and go makes me afraid. I also don't want to suffer my family by continueing a prenancy that will lead to disappointment. I'm staying positive! This condition is serious and needs more medical attention than the world has. I will continue to share our story in hopes it will educate another. May God bless and keep us all (man, women, and child) safe :-)
hi i am 12 weeks pregnant, since i woz 6 weeks i have had heavy bleeding that lasted 4 a day or two at a time on average every week i have been monitored every week since i have a large hemetoma (clot) around the foetal sack which has caused it 2 b far to the right of my uterus, the last lot of bleeding ive had now at 12 weeks woz heavy and i had period like pain with it they told me the placenta woz lifted a litte from the uterus, doc said no heavy lifting or physical activity. the babys heart beat is normal and overall is healthy but after the complications and bleeding ive had said that im at high risk of miscarrying, i am keen 2 prove them wrong and hoping 2 have a healthy pregnancy by the end of this it is so scary wen u just keep getting told negative things
I'm 8 weeks 6 days . I had spotted for two weeks then found out aug 2nd I was prego. I had cramps come and go(light and hard pain) for a while. The spotting would be a darkish red/brown color. This is my 2nd pregnancy and I knew something was wrong. I went to my OB at 8weeks and 4 days(2days ago) they did an u/s. Come to find out I had blood behind the placenta. That causes the placenta to detach and leads to miscarriage. Doc said 50/50 chance. Take easy. No lifting, excercising no sex. He is a great doctor to. He said nothing to do and even that advise wasn't a for sure cure. Nothing to fix it. All o can say is pray and God has a plan. I'll admitt, it's hard to sit here knowing u have 50/50 but trust the Lord. If it turns out loosing the baby I'll be sad and hurt but the Lord is here with me! Things will be ok! :) god bless and ur in our prayers. Ps doc said once I get to 12 weeks my chances of making it will go up. Also I have to go back nect week so they can monitor it. Make sure u have a caring doc who is great!!!
I had a placental uterine wall seperation at  13weeks,  I bleed somewhat and had upper ab. pain. A ultasound 24 yrs ago showed a blood pocket of several inches. Due to the fact i was on bedrest with my prior child since 4months along and taking terbutaline(to stop contractions, at my insistince) i was able to carry her full term. Because of my past history of infections after each childbirth,( i had a prior daughter born 14 months earlier, got a infection then got pregnant on antibiotics with my second child whom i was on bedrest with,) the drs insisted i terminate pregnancy.  Fast forward my second child developed seizure disorder and went into grand mals the day they took my pregnancy.  Two years after with lots of infections and issues i ended up having a total hysterectomy w ovaries.  Dr said i had lots of deep tissue infection (old) scarring and endomitrosis. this was between ages 22 and 25. After being severly ill for years I found out 10 yrs later i had late stage lyme disease with multiple co-infections, my girls were born with it( i now go to a top lyme specialist.Ive had it since 10 yrs of age,misdiagnosed then as juv.myasthenia gravis  If you have odd illnessess, miscarriges etc a lyme test from igenex.com may save u from what ive gone through. My girls and i suffer as i write this im now 48 and am disabled  hopefully their treatment works enough so they can have children, lymes is known to cause miscarriges( i had 1 just after my second child,chronic infections, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia,etc.its more common than people realize im from n.calif foothills and chico area.