Maternal & Child Community
13 weeks pg and no heartbeat heard

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

13 weeks pg and no heartbeat heard

I was just wondering if anyone else at 13 weeks pg the doctor couldn't find a heartbeat.  She tried for about 15 minutes then said lets bring you back in a week or two.  She didn't sound to concern and I too wasn't at the time.  I was suprise she didn't do an ultrasound then.  Anyways I was woundering if anyone else went through the same thing.
I agree that it may be just hard to detect the heartbeat this early in your pregnancy. But, are you O.K. with waiting a week or two? I wouldn't be, I would be crazy with worry! I think it would be reasonable for you to request an ultrasound as soon as possible just for your own peace of mind. Best wishes to you! Take care and let us know when you hear that wonderful sound!
I think it's crazy that your doctor didn't request an untrasound....that would have been the normal thing to do, I think. But I had the same thing happen right around 13 weeks with two pregnancies and ultrasounds showed the heartbearts were there and healthy! I also discovered I had a tipped uterus, which can make it harder to hear the heartbeat on doppler.
I wouldn't be concerned. Is this your first? My doctors were really shocked when they heard Tristan's at 11 weeks. I think if thye were too worried they would have ordered the ultrasound.

There are many factors that can cause the heartbeat to be unheard: equipment, operator error, maternal chubbiness, position of baby, etc.

Try to relax, I am sure all is well.

Andrea
I had the same thing happen at 11 weeks and 15 weeks with my first son. Both times they did an u/s. The first time the baby was fine, the second time, he was gone. Don't want to scare you but just wanted to tell you what happened with me.
Mandi
My midwife found this baby's heartbeat at 12 weeks but had told me in advance that she might not be able to. At 13 weeks the baby could still be below the pelvic bone and undetectable by just doppler. Just depends on how far up baby has gotten at this point and also depends on the things that Andi mentioned.
Let us know how it goes when you go back.
Best of luck
I agree with that too, ultrasounds are expensive. Maybe you could come back in 1 week for sure to try listen to the heartbeat again.

The only reason I would want an ultrasound is because with my first pregnancy, we couldn't find the heartbeat at 12 weeks, and I had an ultrasound which showed the baby died at about 7-8 weeks of gestation. If we were ever unable to detect a heartbeat at that same stage, I would be convinced of the worst just because of my history. I thought this would be scary to say, but just wanted you to know why I would go for the ultrasound. But for others, it may be fine come back later and try again with the doppler.
I think some of you are being a bit scary with the responses. At 13 weeks it is not uncommon to not hear it via doppler. I am not sure many of you know how much it actually costs to get ultrasounds, but it can be quite pricey. Some people don't give much thought to the fact that by "demanding" ultrasounds for "piece of mind" all the time makes our health care costs skyrocket!

I would be patient, trust the doctor's call on this. I am sure all is fine, baby may just be a bit shy : )

Andrea
Don't worry!  I freaked out too, I was 13/14 weeks and they couldn't get a heartbeat on the baby.  They scheduled an internal ultrasound, in which the baby was perfectly fine.  Your weight pre-pregnancy and the position of the baby have a lot to do with it. I went back at 16 weeks and they heard it loud and clear on the regular dopplar ultrasound.
Thanks to all of you for your comments.  I was thinking that could it be that I miscarried or am I making to much of it.  I think that the waiting is the worst part.  Knowing that there are others that didn't hear a heartbeat at 12-13 weeks I know not all hope is lost.  We did have a vaginal ultrasound at about 6 weeks due to bleeding and we had a heartbeat at 136 bpm.  But the bleeding continue 3-4 days after then stopped then I bleed another 4-5 days and have since stopped.  The ultrasounds are expensive and we have no insurance so the whole pregnancy is out of our pockets, maybe she took this in considerattion.
The good news is that the risk of m/c decreases dramatically after the heartbeat is heard. One things, sad it is may be, is that if something is wrong, there is nothing that can or could have been done to change the outcome, ultrasound or not.

Again, I am sure things are okay. As I mentioned, there are so many reasons why they may not have heard the heartbeat. Try to relax, I know it is easier said than done, I have been pg 6 times, but I have lost 4. The waiting truly is the hardest part : (

Andrea
I have a question.  I went to the doctor on Jan 11, 2008 and took a preganancy test and wasn't pregnant.  I begin taking birthcontrol and I had a light/short menstral period beginning approx Jan 25, 2008.  I went and had a pregnancy test on Feb. 4, 2008 and was diagnosed as being pregnant. I started having some spotting, brownish in color about 2 days ago.  I went to the ER and they ran several test and gave me an Ultra Sound.  I told them the the first day of my last NORMAL period 12/28/08.  The ultra sound said that I was about 6 wks but the HCG test said that my levels was around 55,000.  They were unable to detect a heart beat he said that it could be a threatened miscarriage but to go back to my OB on Monday to have him check my levels again.  He said that the only thing that he could think of outside of the threatened miscarriage is that my dates and actual conception are all wrong.  So, any advise from anyone out there?