Maternal & Child Community
14 month old not walking... any advice? OPEN FORUM!:)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My daughter is 14 months old and she isnt walking yet. She crawls everywhere and she walks around the furniture like it was nothing. But I can't seem to get her to let go. Does anyone have any advice???
Nothing to worry about- especially since she's mobile through crawling. My dd was the same way and ended up walking late in her 15th month.
Not that there is anything to worry about...but...my mom said that my brother was a LATE walker.  He had the strength, but no courage.  My brother liked to hold onto mommy/daddy's hands and walk, but if you let go, down he would fall....sooooo...she put clothespegs in her hands and had him hold onto the clothespegs, and then she would let go of the clothespegs, but my brother still thought she was there,  hope that idea helps you a little.  I know with my first ds I couldn't wait for him to walk, and when he did it at 9 months, I thought....WHAT WAS THE HURRY!  So, when 2nd ds came along, I gave him litte  OPPORTUNITY to strengthen his leg muscles in the hopes that MY BABY would stay a BABY for ever, but....he started walking at 11months!!!  They will walk when they are ready, no matter whether you are ready or not.  Good luck to you!
I wouldn't be too worried right now. Every baby walks at their own time and not all walk by the time they turn twelve months. As long as she is crawling and cruising the furniture I woud say she is doing just fine.
I agree with the previous poster that every child walks in their own time.  Neither of my twins walked until after 14 months (not due to developmental delays). One was slower to walk than the other.  I think it was just more efficient for her to crawl so she did, for a very long time.  They just turned two and are on track with other kids their age with running and some jumping.  Again, I wouldn't worry too much.  But if you continue to be concerned, you should discuss it with your pediatrician.
My DD walked at 14 months...I didn't fret over it as my DS also walked around the same time as enjoy the reduced mobility while you can!! Once they walk it is a whole new level of activity...Actually as soon as my DD started walking she quickly advanced to running!! She never walks anywhere she runs! Sounds like  your little darling is about to take off any day. Enjoy :)
I agree having 3 kids of my own that every child is different.  Some just dont care to walk. Some do.. Also there is just to dot all the i's and cross the t's.. If he has had ear infections alot and so forth he may have fluid behind the ears. This causes children to be off balance also. I am not saying this is the cause but its just another to throw out there. My nephew was 15 months and still not walking had tubes put in his ears and he was walking wthin a few weeks :)
My son started walking at 15 months. He took his first couple of steps in the morning and he was running in the evening!! I would not worry about it.
my 14 mth old son is not walking yet. He walks comfortably leaning on to furniture, holding hands. He did not crawl. He sits, stand up holding on to furniture. He pulls things away but cannot stack rings. He is not having a very good pincer grasp. Cannot eat chunky food. Is there a problem? any advises.
My oldest son didn't walk until he was 15 mos...he was in the 75th percentile for height and 90th for weight.  My now 13 mos old still isn't walking.  He cruises along furniture and crawls, he just hasn't gotten the guts to take those steps yet.  I would give it a little bit longer...some kids just aren't ready until later.
I tried the clothespeg trick on my lil dd who is still not walking (13mths old). She held on to the clothes peg and walked along with me..but as soon as i let go she looked at the clothes peg, sat down and started to play with it!...lol..*sigh*..I will try again soon!
MY two middle kids didn't walk until 14 and 15 months.  They were both pudgy babies and the docs said not to worry.  They finally started walking and haven't been still since.
That sounds like a good idea. my mom and several others told me to try that trick. My daughter does very well with a Winnie the Pooh push train so I do hope that that will help.