Maternal & Child Community
19 month old DD not eating right

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

19 month old DD not eating right

My DD is 19 months old and she doesn't seem to be eating enough, well not like she used to.  I know they go through phases, but this just seems weird to me.  This has been going on for about two weeks now.  I don't want to call the doctor just yet, b/c I don't want to have to take her in for nothing.  We have changed things up a bit to see if that's it and she still won't eat good.  
She gets constipated a lot and very easily, so we try to avoid foods that do that to her, b/c I hate seeing her like that.  I swear the child can't eat a banana (even if it's half of one or smaller) without getting backed up.  She usually eats breakfast pretty good, but then lunch and dinner aren't great. She just plays.  I give her lots of options too....like not just giving her chicken and that's it. I give her chicken, peas, rice, and bread.  We also wait to give her the juice or milk til she is about halfway done b/c if not then she will fill up on juice or milk and won't be hungry. She eats like maybe two to three bites and that's it!  To me that's not enough to fill her up, especially when she normally eats so much you wonder where it's going to fit;)
Any ideas to what may be going on?  Or any advice?
Just watch her and just make sure she is still going to the bathroom plenty enough times during the day.  It maybe that she eats so much for breakfast that it keeps her full for most of the day....little ones know when they are hungry--they don't learn to overeat or undereat until much later.  How is her fluid intake between meals--if she is drinking a lot of milk or juice between times then she may be filling up on that also...as long as you don't notice a significant weight loss or her becoming really listless--it probably is just a phase.
Seems to me that as they head towards the two year mark kids start to get fussy over food and seem to eat next to nothing somedays, everyone I know seems to have had the same issues.
Keep offering her small portions and keep juice or milk for with meals as you are doing, only give water between meals or water with just a tiny splash of juice for flavour and offer a healthy snack morning and afternoon. If she is healthy, active and not loosing weight she is eating what she needs. Adding a childrens multi vitamin might be a good idea if she isn't eating enough food from all four food groups.

Best of luck
Thanks!  I will just watch her.  She still has tons of energy and is going to the bathroom regulary, so no problems there.  I will just limit her intake of fluids betweens meals and do just water or like mum2beagain said use a splash of juice to give it some flavor.  She loves raisins and eats thems most of the time. So that's a great snack for inbetween!  Thanks again for the advice;)  I guess kids are just so picky sometimes..haha!