19 month old having problems after surgery....any suggestions
My friend's DS had his tonsils taken out last Tuesday 1/09.  He is 19 months old so the doctor warned that it might be a tough 7 days to go through.  Well, the 7 days have come and gone and all Mason does is scream.  He used to sleep in his bed, go to sleep by himself, with no problem.  He now will not sleep in his bed, if he wakes up anywhere besides his mom's arms, he screams as if someone has angered him or something.  Tylenol with codeine was giving him side effects, he was getting angry and agitated real easy after taken it, it was making matters worse.  On Tuesday of this week, she called both the doctor's office that performed the surgery as well as took him to his ped and they both recommended she give him Motrin, which she did.  On Tuesday night, the first night she had gotten him to sleep back in his room (for 3 hours), when he awoke, she gave him a bottle and laid him back down, no sooner than she left the room and got down the hall he let out a horrifying scream and she ran back in there, he had blood pouring out of his mouth.  She called the ENT doctor and was told it was probably b/c of the motrin!  Well, now he is still doing this, will not sleep unless she holds him, will not let her out of his sight, just isn't the same kid, and she is on her last leg.  She hasn't had any sleep hardly in days.  Has anyone else ever been through this or have any suggestions?  My child had this procedure but he was older and fine almost the next day so I don't know how to help her.  She is wondering could he have been tramatized by being put to "sleep", is he scared now?
that was just the first thing that came to her mind, she knew it was a shot in the dark but figured it would not hurt to ask.  I told her I would ask you girls, because a lot of you had good insight on situations and maybe someone could shed some light on this situation.  I really appreciate any advice you might offer.  Thanks a bunch!
MY sons last surgery left him different for a month. it was the effects of anesthesia. not that this is the same but i thought id give what happened with him. he suddenly could not go to sleep. he would lay away for hours. get up and try to sleep with me. dr told me to give him benedryl. well i hate to medicate but did for a short time. it took at least one whole month before he was back to his old self again. have her ask the dr if this is possible. my sons dr didnt give me the info i just investigated myself. and when i asked, he really didnt seem concerned or want to discuss it. he just said it can happen. the one good thing if it is this, it will go away. poor baby i feel so bad for him.
First of all 7 days to recover from Tonsils is not going to make it all better.  In fact right now, and probably the reason for the blood, is the scabs on the back of the throat.  The bottle is going to make them come off and bleed horribly, she should try to give him food another way.  The sucking motion needed to drink from the bottle will cause the already itchy throat to become irritated and the scabs to come off and bleed.  It took my daughter 14 days to recover fully, and when I had it done, I hemorraged from my throat at 12 days.
It is pretty sure a combination of anesthesia, the unfamiliar event of surgery in itself and the long healing process of tonsil removals that makes the little boy worry about sleeping alone. I had mine removed at age 3 and still remember it as a traumatic and painful time with lots of nightmares about long hospital hallways later on. My son happened to have full anesthesia at age 3 as well and even though every effort was made to prepare him psychologically for the event, he was very much out of balance for a while. Combined with a move to a new house a while later, he started soiling his pants again from age 3 1/2 to 4 1/2. It took a year for him to feel safe and reassured again about his physical abilities and integrity. Rather than medication, the little patient`s Mom should not hesitate to pamper him a bit longer. I know that some habits like wanting to share the parental bed can be created during times of distress, but give him another two weeks or more. If I remember correctly, it takes about 2-3 weeks for the throat pain to subside. Ice cream does help but that may be a really bad habit to break. Hope he will be well soon. And once he is older, or even now, do talk about hospitals and his hospital experience. Some children`s books explain nicely what happens before and after surgery - and my son was relieved to talk anout these things even after the fact.