Maternal & Child Community
19wks with very watery discharge - upate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

A couple days ago I posted about watery discharge, and I thought I would give an update for those that are interested.  

I called the dr and they had me come in...  he gave me an exam and said there was water pooling and it looked like I was probably leaking amniotic fluid.  He tested the ph level and did a fern test and they both came back negative for amniotic fluid.  He did an ultrasound to check my AF level and it measured very good.  My level was 16 and he said low is anything 5 and under.  

He said he couldn't prove that it was amniotic fluid becasue the tests came back negative but he was very suspicious because of all the water.  

I asked him what the babies chances would be if the sac was broken.. he said only about 10% because I'm still so early in my pg.  

So anyway.. the news wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.. I'm just gonna keep laying/sitting here and hope for the best.. That is really all I can do.  
I read your other post (about the leaking) and I was really hoping to see that you got some good news today.  Like you said, it's not bad, but it certainly isn't great either.  Did he say what he would be doing as follow-up precautions... like did he tell you what you should do if it continues to leak (that way you don't have to decide on your own whether or not to go see him)?  That's some nerve-racking stuff you're dealing with and I hope it fixes itself whatever the problem is.  Hopefully it's just one of those weird unexplained things, b/c it seems reassuring that both tests came back negative for amniotic fluid and that your AF level was good (honestly, I'm not positive what that is, but if it's good, it's good).  I can't imagine how hard it must be to sit and wait.  
Your in my thoughts, best wishes!
well... I would try to look on the positive side... just try to relax and drink and stay hydrated...  your 19 weeks now so just pray and we will too...  good luck and stay strong
Wendy..  my dr is out on mondays so this was his associate.. i will see my own dr on wed... He did say if I experience any gushing, cramping, fever or abdominal tenderness to call right away... oh and the AF level is the amniotic fluid level

Even tho news wasn't great.. at least now I'm not completely worried and wondering if I should call or not...  I'm sure I will spend hours and hours goodling false negative results for amniotic fluid leaking.... but at least I know the test was negative...

thanks all for your support and kind words.  
when i was 30 weeks pregnant i went to the hospital because my underwear was soaking wet and the doctor did a test and the test was negative but that same night my water broke and my baby was born 10 weeks premature. a different doctor told me that next time i get pregnant if i think my water is leaking they have a different test for amniotic fluid not the strip of blue paper that they always use.
well hannah i hope all goes well but this pg sounds like its going to be a very long one!  lets hope so.  

STOP GOOGLING!!! lol
AF level = amniotic fluid level.... duh!  There's a blonde moment for me!  =)

You're right though... it's good that you were able to get in today instead of waiting for an answer on Wednesday.  And you are SO like me... I scare the heck out of myself all the time by googling things to find out what they mean (half the time, you can enter almost any symptom and end up finding something scary to go with it... I know this and yet I still do it).   Like pertykitty said... no googling!
Hannah - so glad you got some answers - take it easy and rest and keep that little guy baking - I'm so glad you posted something - I was starting to worry!!!!!