2 1/2 week old constipated, what can I do?
My son is 2 1/2 weeks old. I went out to a Memorial day celebration on Monday and for the first time gave him 3 ozs of formula. I gave him the formula twice on Monday and once yesterday. Now he is constipated. I tried the q-tip with the a&d ointment, gave him water, gave him brown sugar and water, still no poop. He hasn't pooped all day yesterday, the last time he did poop was Monday around 7pm. I am hoping to see some poop today because once he wakes up he is very irritable. What else can I do? I am going to try all my home remedies before I call the doctor.
You can try putting a teaspoon of pear or prune juice with the formula and that should get him going!
I would just wait another day or two, he will most likely have a movement.  I also supplemented with formula, and found that I had better luck with the "lower iron" for that reason alone.  My ds was very constipated because the 1st can of formula I bought was "Iron Fortified", which may not be necessary for your little guy at this time.  If no bowel movement after 5 days, you should definitly call the dr. but as long as he is still peeing, all should be fine.
Are you breastfeeding too?  It sounded like you just started formula.  If you are still breastfeeding, try to only give that to the baby until he poops.  Breastmilk is a natural laxative and might help.  If not, a little Karo syrup mixed in a bottle with water I've heard helps.
The pediatrician called and told me to give him 2 ozs of the baby apple juice. Within an hour the diaper was filled. I was so glad. Thanks for all the responses. I couldn't stand to see him grimace his face anymore.
This happened to both my son and daughter when they were newborn.  I called my dr and he told me to get the glycerin suppositories.  They are from the Fleet brand...in a small container with a blue lid.  they are at any walmart or pharmacy.  They don't contain any medications, they are just to lube up that area so they can have a bowel movement.  They worked wonders for me! anytime my children seemed to be constipated in their infant stage, i pushed one of those in and within hours, they had a bm..hope it gets better for you!
KARO SYRUP? APPLE JUICE????  PEAR JUICE F!@#$%^ PRUNE JUICE...ARE YOU ALL MAD?  HOW DARE YOU POST THIS CRAZY NONESENSE,,MS PLEASE DONT TAKE ADVICE FROM NONE OF THESE LUNATICS......JUST TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THE DR....GOOD LUCK  AS FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS WHO POSTED THIS,,,,,YOUR ALL MAD!!!!