Maternal & Child Community
2 1/2 week old infant throwing up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 1/2 week old infant throwing up

I just had a baby she is now 2 1/2 weeks old, we have tried 3 differant formulas 2 from enfamil and 1 from similac and the ped. said to add rice ceral to her formula, and she is also on reflux meds. and still throwing up shes only eating appx. 2 ounces of formula every 3 hours but after every feeding is throwing up, any suggestions???
This might be a strech, but my nephew ws doing the same thing and it turned out that he had Pyloric Stenosis. Which is basically his esphagus (Spelling?) was clammped shut and as he grew, it clamped more. He was about a month 1/2 old and they did a very simple surgery on him and corrected right away! He 2 years old now happy and healthy. Might be something to talk to the doc about.
Maybe she is lactoce intollerant. Are you not breastfeeding? try giving her an ounce of water (Call the Doctor first) and see if she throws that up. If not, than she might just need a soy thickening formula.
Is she gaining weight? Having the 8-10 wet diapers a day? If you answered yes to both of those than she is refluxing a lot less formula than you may think.

Have you looked at different bottles? Burping after every ounce? Feeding her in a more upright position? Keeping her upright for 1/2 hour after feeding?

I think that your pedi was premature at suggesting cereal in a bottle, especially considering she is only two weeks old. It is not uncommon for very young babies to reflux, their digestive tract is still developing and by adding cereal to her formula you are pushing the limits of an already immature system.

Have you tried soy based formula? How long has she been on meds? Even with adults they need time to work.

Andi
My son did the same thing right after he was born. The only thing they did was switch his formula.  They put him on Prosobee.  After that he only did it every so often.  Sorry I don't have anymore information.  Goodluck!
Have you tried Enfamil AR ? It is a formula pre thickened with rice starch. I recommend you try it but don't use the powder form if your using Avent bottles.

My DD had that and we did the formula dance but that stuff worked great !
I should also add that it went away when she turned 5 months and we were able put her on regular Enfamil.
My friend's son was lactose intollerant and she put him on  Similac Allimenum or something like that. It is available in the grocery store and is hypoallergenic. Many babies who have allergies to milk also have soy allergies as well, her doctor said. Andi is right, she is WAY too young for rice cereal in the bottle. I can't believe Ped's even still recommend that, it can lead to more problems later on. Also, when she vomits, is it forceful or just dribbling out like spit up every time?
Have you tried nursing her, or is it not possible for you? You can get a very good pump that will let you  pump quickly and bottle feed it to her if necessary. I got one of those $300 Medela ones on ebay for under $100. It was so great compared to the $40 one I had from evenflo.
We have tried enfamil AR, enfamil lipil with iron, similiac Alimentum(with rice ceral).

She has been on the medication for only a week but they say the medication is not to stop or prevent the reflux but to ease the pain for her.

We are using the Avent bottles on the slow speed, but seems that nothing works, she is having forceful vomits after every feeding basically.

Any one think that soy based formula would make any differance?

We are trying every thing (constantly burping her after every feeding for 30-45mins at a time,feeding her in an upright position, everything) Any suggestions??????
Have you tried a very slow flow bottle? My daughter was breastfed, but my milk was coming out too fast for her. She would eat too much too fast, and swallow a lot of air. Then she would throw up what seemed like the whole meal. Dr. Brown's nipples come in stages. The stage 1 has just a single teeny hole, and baby has to work hard to get the milk, so it comes slowly. Also I had to burp her extra often. She would get mad because I would stop her in the middle to burp, but it cut down on how often she threw up. For bottle feeds, I would suggest stopping every once to burp. You have to be a bit vigorous about it with some babies.
My son would do the same thing.  He had projectile vomiting.  It went on for months.  They did switch him to prosobee and it help but that vomiting was horrible.  He was also a miserable baby.  He cried a lot especially between 7pm until midnight.  Now I think he was colic although this was never mention.  He was on the lite side usually around the 50% for his weight and 100% on his height.  The Dr would say he needs to gain weight and I would say if he could stop vomiting  all the time maybe he would.  I would try giving smaller amount feeding more often.  I know as a new mom you are already exhausted but I would try maybe smaller amount ever 2 hours just to see if it helps.

I have a friend whom twins are in the NICU. they are preemies.  One of the twins vomits a lot.  My friend was telling them that they were feeding them to much. (she would breast feed then the nurse would triate the full Rx amount of feeding)  Finally they weight the baby before my friend started to feed and directly after.  They baby was getting all but 2 cc of the feeding, so they were over feeding him.  

They measure by grams in the NICU.  It is very precise.
When you say "throw up", exactly how much are you talking about?  I've seen some moms say their babies are throwing up, when I actually only see a little spit up.

Is it projectile, seeming to come out with some force?  Does it seem like the same amount comes back out?  Is she gaining weight?  Having wet diapers?

Some infants can have a condition known as pyloric stenosis.  It can vary in severity.  Actual vomiting (not spitting or small regurgitation) at 2 weeks is of concern, and shouldn't be dismissed lightly or assumed to be related to reflux unless the major worriesome conditions are ruled out first.  Watch her weight and output.
I had the same issues when I was born - it went for about a month and I lost 3-4 pounds until the Doctors realized I had pyloric stenosis - the muscle grows over the tube and constricts it so every time my mom fed me I had projectile vomit - I had surgery and have a fairly decent size scar on my stomach but that was back in the mid 70's so I'm sure the procedure is even better now.  Ask them to check that out - I don't know if they do x-ray or what but could be the problem.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/digestive/pyloric_stenosis.html
http://www.pedisurg.com/PtEduc/Pyloric_Stenosis.htm

here are 2 good sites that explain it better ... see if anything matches what is happening w/your child

I am 13 wks pregnant right now and my doctor does not know if I can pass it on so they will have to monitor the baby after 7 months every couple weeks - but it is totally fixable.
Good Luck!!
I turned out fine, extremely healthy and active and played 5 sports growing up - so don't worry...
No I am not able to breastfeed although that would make life much easier as far as the formulas go. but sadly not able.

she is gaining weight she gained 1lb in 9 days so shes doing good as far as that goes, so obviously not everything that she takes in is coming right back out, she has lots of wet diapers but very few maybe 1-2 dirty diapers a day. She is definetly having projectile vomits not just spitups. I feed her about every 2 1/2 - 3hours shortly after she vomits, and is that much more hungry right after her vomit.
try neocate or notramagine formulas.  babies with severe reflux, or some food intollerances, often thrive on these
Has her ped considered looking into pyloric stenosis?

we go for an upper GI friday is this a good way to find something out?
the upper GI should show any physical problem such as a deformity, or leaky sphincter at the top of her stomach, as well as pyloric stenosis. If she throws up for them, they should also be able to see the mechanism of it.
Thank you all so very much, you have helped me out greatly i will keep you updated. until then.
god bless!
Well the test came back negative so every thing is working fine on her i guess she just has GERD pretty bad and hopefully will grow out of it.

thanks for your help and support!
My daughter is 10 wks. old and is just now throwing up, she has been doing this for the past 3 days straight, and has done it twice today. She threw up a lot on my husband tonight. His shirt and her onesie were covered. We have had her on the same formula since she was born, Enfamil with Lipil. Can you tell me what is wrong with her? She doesn't have a fever or anything so I don't understand it and we are only feeding her 4 oz every 3 hrs. sometimes there is more of a span before she eats, so we aren't over feeding her. Why is she throwing up so much, any one have any advice?
Make sure she is burped really well. At least 1/2 way through her bottle and then afterwards. If it persists, call the pedi. Best wishes.
Ok thank you, I am going to try that tonight if she will eat.
What do you mean "if she will eat". Is she not eating well? A decrease in apeitite with the symptoms above in a 10 week old would warrant a call to the dr asap.
i pumped for my son when he was first born but there were times were i didn't have enough and would have to give him formula and he would always throw it all back up. his doctor said babies have virgins guts and formula is man made and it doesn't always work with babies immature tummies.... i stopped the formula and got him on the breast and we never had another problem again. could you maybe try nursing him. he's still very young. kellymom.com has a great website on this and also breastfeeding.com has a good message board. if you need any help email me ***@****
i wanted to add that my baby was also on a bottle for a month before i started him on the breast. i was young and not sure if i wanted to breastfeed. he was born early and in the nicu..... it took me 2 weeks to get him off the bottle but it was SOOOOO worth and and im so happy i nursed him now. he went from being in the 10% to the 90% in only 3 months. it was a ruff 2 weeks but well well worth it. if you want to talk about it just contact me and i would be more than happy to help. im pregnant with #4 right now and have breastfed all my kids.
any news?
my daughter is now 16 days old and has been doing the projectle vomitting after i nurse her for the past 24 hours. i took her to the hospital & a doctor. shorter feeding times and do not sit the baby up to burp, let her lay on my shoulder and she will burp on her own, the doctors say... it worked for about 3 feedings and back to throwing up. i'm worried. could it be pyloric stenosis? is she drinking too fast? is it my milk?

worried mom of newborn
My first son had horrible projectle vomitting as a new born.  I ended up having to change him to soy formula.
Later in life I found that he wasn't lactose intolerant, he just has a very sensitive stomache.  To this day (but THANK GOD, not as often) if he eats anything (even if he has ate it 100 times before) and it isn't sitting well or he ate it to fast, he throws up.
we had the same problem and switched to soy formula. but i see that you are breastfeeding so that would not be the case. the only thing that i suggest is too, lay her on your shoulder and rub her back in circles (dont pat) than you are more than likely to rub the burp out with out anything else comeing out. that is how i always burped dd. it does take a little longer, but i had less spitting up than after i started that. best of luck hun!
How are you doing after just having another baby? feeling ok?
thank you for you help. i've been rubbing her back and she is much better. This is baby number 6 and she is the 1st one that has done this. Just worried about her. One of the twins did this for a short time, but it passed after a few months.

i'm doing okay. recovering from a c-section with 18 month old twins is hard but it's getting better.
My baby is only 2 weeks old and hes having problems. He'll throw up all the formula that I feed him and he'll get really hungry. So can some help me...