Maternal & Child Community
2 Month old formula intake

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

2 Month old formula intake

I was wondering how much formula for a baby to be eating at 2 months, is normal. Well I've got a couple questions.
Riley has really gotten quite chunky in the past couple days. Now I do know that babies do that, but the comments from everyone are starting to get on my nerves... I know I should just ignore it and I usually do :) But I was wondering.. He eats anywhere from 4 (not usually but sometimes he's content with this much) ounces, to 7 or a little over.. He's only 2 months old. He has NO schedule down yet (which is running me ragged I feel at times!) His days and nights are mixed up, and he will go 3 hours in between feedings, sometimes 4, or sometimes he'll sleep for 6 hours or more during the day... It changes every single day.. What in the world can I do?!
A couple people keep suggesting a little bit of rice cereal to thicken the formula at night.. Other people say "NO! he's too young for that!" - not to mention he has trouble pooping already I don't want to make him constipated...
Some say "Keep him up during the day" Hah! that's next to impossible when he's really tired. Hard to do for one hour, let alone the majority of the day! (aside from a couple naps, of course)...

I haven't done anything about it, I'm still at the point of conforming to HIS schedule and when I do what I need to do to get some sleep, which is sleep while he is, I feel so isolated from the world.

What should I do??
I am with you on the running raggad subject.

I talked to my ped and in my circumstances the rice cereal is perfectly fine and better for him... He siad " you are doing something that a formula has already done" Enfamil AR stands for added rice and is perfectly safe in small amounts..... I use 1 formula sized scoop in a 4 ounce bottle... It still goes through the nipple becauseit is so runny... Of course that is a personal decision and I feel some people over do why not to do it....  I still do not have Julian on a schudle but the small amount of cereal I do give him makes life a little easier, but he also feels better also so as not only for my convience.......
I wouldn't worry about the schedule at this point.. I know it is hard and frustrating, but he will likely settle down into a night schedule in the next couple of weeks or so.  My jacob didn't start sleeping through the night until 11wk and now he sleeps great... prior to that he was up every 3 hours.  After 11wks, he slept through the night but his day schedule was still all over the place.. sometimes it seemed like he slept all day long.. other days he hardly slept... now at 5.5 months he is finally getting the consistent 2 to 3 naps a day.  

As for the formula.. at two months my pedi told me 24 to 28 oz was average.  

hang in there...
honey.. pediatritions please... mother know's best ok. just start out small and get big. trust me. by all means ask the ped's if u want too..but....

with the cerial may help your child sleep more during the night if not sleep all night because it helps fill there tummys up. start with RICE cerial. it is the gentlest on there stomach's compared to oatmeal and mixed cerial... and start very small with maybe a teespoon of it . mix it in with his bottle. if he spit's it up after his feeding , you will know his stomach is not quite ready for it.

as far as the sleep schedual.. dont worry about it yet. he is very little.. he will fall into his own sleep schedual about 5-6 months then you can change it to how u want... babys sleep the most when there in growth splirts.

and by all means this is just from experience ok. i personally dont believe in peditritions. they say to keep your child on formula till there one... that's a crock if u ask me. that's NOT how our mother's raised us or our grandmother's raised them. there fine.. there's no reason why our children wont bee also... the best advise i can giveyou is to start SMALL with everything. if ur lill man has problems you will no. then you can back off what ever your doing for a while
sorry.. as far as how much your child should be eating.. as long as he is gaining weight.. he is doing wonderfull .. if anyone tells you he should be eating more.. or if he spits up alot... i believe rule of thumb is  16-32 oz .. dont quote me.. i think
well formula or breastmilk is the ONLY  thing a baby should be given in a bottle, and till one yrs old NO COW MILK!!!   do not give cereal at 2 months, it wont help sleep through the night and their bodies cant handle it.  studies have shown so many health risks associated with feeding babies too early.  

babies will develop a schedule later on.  some earlier than others.  my son was a great one on a nap and bed routine very early.  my baby girl, not really till 8 months.  

right now is a hard time, they are growing like crazy which means eating all the time.  be patient and remember your baby will very soon grow and change and you will have more sleep.  
our parents raised us like i am raising my child as there mothers did them. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT...
get your info and facts, what you are doing can very well cause health problems.  you are not a dr, nor a scientist so i suppose you can raise your kids as you see fit, but dont you dare give such misguided info to others.   by the way if you look around you will see obesity and health issues skyrocketing out of control, maybe our parents didnt raise some of us right?  lol
.....ask your mom
my mother did feed my sis milk frm about 6 months old, per drs orders.  my sister is full of health problems, was lactose intolerant, sooooooo maybe there is truth to what the PROFESSIONALS have to say.   are you from an area that doesnt recieve much news or info?  seems you dont have much knowledge in regards to well anything lol
sweety i started my son out on jars of food when he was 3 months old . you will know when ur child is ready for the next step/ my son doesnt care for baby cereal. he is now 7 months old and eats mainly food i have to force him to drink at least 3 bottles of formula a day. he thinks he is grown . and he didnt start sleeping through the night till he was just about 6 months. again each baby is different . it can be hard but you wil get a hang of it . i wish ya luck all things will work out for ya and the lil guy
jars of food at 3 months?? really?  im confused why someone would even do that?  ok im off this post, too much crappy info and gals that give bad info.  op if you have questions its better to pm those of us mommys that do things the right way
OMGOSH THANK YOU.
welcome, i just figured out you must be fake here to get us crazy with that advice you have. nobody could seriously mean what you have said.  i feel better knowing you are a fake poster.  
I agree 100% with pertykitty.  Our mother's didn't know that smoking was harmful either so why don't we spoke like 3 packs a day because maybe we turned out ok....please!!!!  There is so much more information out there now because technology has increased and so has medical studies.  There is a reason for that.  We can solve crimes because of dna and forensics, things that we were unable to do back in the days.  So why not go along with the advanced nutritional information that was given to us for the better health of our children.  Just as we have halo sacks to reduce sids....it is better knowledge to keep our children healthier.  I remember when I was younger they let children ride in the front passenger seat...it was ok to keep a carseat up there as well.  How many infant deaths have been spared just by switching the infant to the backseat.  Times change, information gets better and more accurate.  KStarr it really is up to you being the mother, just do your own research on this subject because you are going to get mixed opinions here.
By the way konstance, my son is 8 months old and loves his formula much more than his food, they don't know any different unless you are shoveling food in your child's mouth at 2 months of age.  Which to me is torture.
Baby riley is probably just going through a growth spurt and that is why he is taking more formula.  I would suggest to keep feeding him on demand.  His feedings will most likely get back to "normal" in a few days.  
I know you are getting a ton of conflicting info here.  My rule of thumb is stick to what your doctor says.  Some doctors are leinient on some issues and strick on others. If you are confused, please check with the doctors.  You have really been here long enough that I think you have a preference on who to trust here.  As far as the cows milk issue...you know for a fact that 2 months is too young, so we will leave that issue for 8 months from now to deal with.  The cereal issue.  Here is what my doctor said.  It does not help them sleep better UNLESS there is an underlying problem that the cereal will fix such a reflux.  If baby has reflux, the cereal will keep the formula from coming back up therefor the baby will not be in pain and will sleep longer.  It doesnt help with the day/night issue though.   I really dont think you are saying that the baby isnt sleeping enough though...just at the wrong time, so the cereal issue is a mute point also.  You may want to mention it to the doc that baby doesnt sleep long and see if she says anything about reflux or cereal.  AJ was diagnosed with reflux just on that fact that he would not lay flat to sleep. He had to sleep in a bouncy chair.  The cereal did help us with that AFTER 4 months of age.  I really dont think the doc is going to say it is ok to give the cereal though.  Now to answer your questions...  AJ did the same thing with getting chunky.  Babies go through many many growth spurts in the first few months.  With AJ's he would get chunky through the spurt and a week later would seem to get taller and slim down.  It would be a matter of 2 weeks and he would go through chunky and short to taller and slimmer.  I wouldnt worry about how much he is eating.  I would let him eat what he wants and talk to the doctor at your next visit.  I have heard that bottle fed babies can be overfed, but my pedi said that they dont usually worry about weight (extra weight) until they are over 1 so you should feed him what he is asking to be fed.  See what your doc says though.  The sleeping issue...most babies are backwards and fix it themselves.  One day he will have a really crappy day.  He will whine and cry and just be plain out uncomfortable and will not be able to sleep and that night he will sleep.  They have a way of fixing it themselves.  Your doc may also have a way for you to help fix it if it hasnt changed by his 3 mo appointment.  You could always try waking him a bit early from his naps, but I dont think it is necessary.  It does get better!!!
wow, a lot happened while I was typing!  I think here on this forum, we generally go with the new age information.  you raise your child the way your mom raised you and the rest of us will go with the new age stuff and feel better about it.  I dont think that you shoving this info down our throats as c r a p is the way to go with it.  It wouldnt be out there if it were c r a p.  We will go with the "better safe than sorry".  I just hope you arent sorry in the end.  Maybe you would be better off in a forum that is meant for people who test society.  We go with it to try to do the best for our children.  Take negative nelly with you!!
i never said to give a baby cows milk at 2 mo. i said i do and my daughter is 10 mo. every mother is diffrent and every child is diffrent . you WILL know when ur baby is ready. please. my daughter eats 3 foods, gerber graduate food and lot's of real mashed food and she LOVES it.  ....... EVERY BABY IS DIFFRENT . NOT ALL THE SAME. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH GIVING THEM OTHER THINGS.
there are sooo many other ways to get the childs nutrition that they  need other than fomula. come on use ur brain hahaa
So what nutritious items is your child getting that has more vitamins and nutrients then what is in formula?  They need what is in breastmilk or formula to thrive.  My son is a big boy and is mainly on formula, guess what, he's still growing and is almost 23 lbs at 8 months.  So the mashed up baby food that he eats once a day isn't making him grow like that, it's the formula.  
o my.. baby cerial , gerber foods, everything and /fyi to EVERYONE... doctor has no problem with it...

so now i suppose all u crzy moms that think im wrong are gunna tell me my docors a quack too huh
Well I will stick with what I feel is best for the health and development of my son and you can stick with what you think is right for your child.  My son is strong as heck and I can attribute that to how he is receiving his nutrition from the formula.  
I think my first sentence says, My rule of thumb is to go with what your doctor says.  Some are leinient and some are stricker on things.  If your doctor says so, than do it.  I specifically asked my doctor because two moms of my daycare kids both told me to wein them off of forumla at 10 months and my doctor said dont do it because of the DHA and ARA.  We are all by the book people and you are not.  Thats all.   I think we have gotten off of the topic completely on this question so I think further discussion should be on your milk thread.  
and my daughter is very healthy and strong as well and is very happy
we are crazy???  haha.  Sometimes when you are the minority, you need to look at yourself!
Like I said, you do what works for you and I will do what works for me.  I choose to follow the strict guidelines that my pedicatrician follows.  It's worked perfectly thus far.
hmm.. i guess i need to go to a better forum where everyone isnt so damn immature
that is just fine with us!!! See ya!
hahahaha
its not immaturity on our part konstance, its the fact that we dont agree with you.  we have seen it here  million times before.  mom comes on with her horrible opinions on how to feed a baby, and many women disagree (well because its wrong) and the poster gets irate and calls everyone names and shouts how they are leaving the boards then continue to spew the c.r.ap they call info out to everyone in the name of "our moms did it we are fine" bs.   maybe your mom shouldnt have done a few of the things she did with you......
i get it... the majority of pediatricians have thrown aside their morals and oaths, and most recent scientific information and have joined a great formula conspiracy where they try to con parents into giving their babies formula until 12 months.
i feel so enlightened now. thank you.
thats it tired!! you hit the nail on the head lol
i dont know about the statements that support the fact that early introduction to solids can cause "obesity".  I know I was introduced to solids earlier than what is recommended today, and I am a FAR cry from obese.  I have had a very active life...always enrolled in sports of some sort,   and my nephew (whom mommy did not introduce solids to until he was around 1 years old...)is an obese child!  He is only 6 years old and he weighs 20 pounds more than my 10 year old...whom is VERY slender, but is about 2 feet taller than him!
Anyways, I still agree with the statement that you should follow the recommendations of your doctor, and if your doctor says that it is ok...and you feel good about it...the final decision is up to you!  
My dd isn't eating ANYTHING other than Toast, cereal and the odd french fry, she refuses food.  She is 19 months, and she literally will SPIT it out!!!   I waited to introduce solids to her,  and now I certainly regret it.  My boys were introduced at 4 months old...because 9 years ago, the doctors said that was when to do it. (the beginner foods)   Having said all this, my dd has ALWAYS had problems eating.   The doctor recommended the formula with the Rice in it, to try and weigh it down  because my dd was a terrible PUKER!!!  
  She is gaining weight though, and the Doctor has advised us she is ok,  but to make sure she is taking her vitamins so she gets all that she needs!

as for the original question.  Your little guy is probably going through growth spurts.  I understand that babies are there own regulators...you can not overfeed them.  My boys were BIG babies, but they have grown into very slender boys.  They are very active, which I believe is very important.  They play all kinds of organized sports...it costs us a fortune, but ultimately, we don't want them to be obese, as it does run in my husbands family.  Inactive children is a contributing factor to obesity...In my opinion it is more than "when" you introduce solids to an infant.
Rice cereal is as nutritious as library paste.  It has almost zero nutritional value apart from the added vitamins and iron (which can be constipating).  

We all know that if we supplemented our daily food intake with white rice, we would be adding nothing nutritionally, yet we would be adding empty calories and valueless, processed carbohydrates.  Why do we think somehow that its different for babies?

Formula  or breastmilk first, then cereal at (preferably) 6 months.  Some pediatricians advise starting earlier at 4 months, most do not.  

Certainly NOT at 2 months, unless there is a diagnosed (not in a spur of the moment office visit) condition such as reflux.  Reflux is diagnosed by very specific testing methods.

Cereal does not help babies sleep longer.  The fact that some do, has more to do with the age at which it is introduced and coincidence, more than anything else.  Most babies do start sleeping through somewhere in that 4-6 month age range.  Cereal or not.  

Just because we all know some babies who were fed cereal very early and "are fine", does not mean you throw the science out the window.  My mother smoked with my sister and i.  She didn't use car seats.  She fed us mashed potatoes as our first food.  She let us take sips of our dads Scotch as children.  

My sister and I turned out "just fine".  Should all children be raised that way?  
You said:

"I understand that babies are there own regulators...you can not overfeed them."

Care to research that statement and reference it for us all?  
In my opinion every mother has their own way of raising a child. No advce is bad advice thats why its called advise. Everyone has their own opinion. Thats what this forum is for.
I said "I UNDERSTAND"...not that I have done any SCIENTIFIC research on the topic...
My lactation consultant told me that all babies are SELF REGULATED....YOU CANNOT OVERFEED THEM and then my Doctor also told me this, when I was soooo concerned about my dd constantly puking and  SOAKING her receiving blankets, I then questioned both of them at different times if it was possible she was just eating too much and they both told me that babies are self regulated...they know when they have had enough!!!!!   if it is not true...than I was misinformed.  Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify.  I was answering the original posters concern about overfeeding her baby.  If this information is incorrect...please feel free to post the correct information.  Not all of us can be completely right all of the time, and I have come to accept that.  Perhaps you should try to do the same!!!  :)
Just yankin' your chain, sb.  Its all good.

Babies do know when they've had enough, but unfortunately for the baby, WE often do not know when to stop feeding them.  

Obviously a breast baby can't be forced to overeat (hard to force a human nipple in their mouth), but bottlefed babies and babies who are fed cereal often just let the food come on in.  Its easy to get that spoon in there, or to put a stiff bottle nipple in their mouths, even when a baby is not hungry.  Often enough, they'll eat it.

I'm not always right, and will be the first to say it.  You made a global statement that you can't overfeed a baby.  That is incorrect.  

ok...sorry for the incorrect information!  MY BAD!  :(   (does that even make sense....my bad...???)  was just looking for a place to use it, but my 1st grade grammar lessons say that is INCORRECT ...  
Okay.. Controversy galore over here!! Lots happened while I was gone!
I  read probably 3/4 of the comments.. I just wanted to throw in there that my pediatrician is a nut-job. Okay well maybe not so much, but she does not LISTEN to me and will make no such suggestions, she does not care really about mine or riley's issues, which is exactly why I'm here. So anyway.....
I guess I'll wait, but I've been told by a couple people they actually tried it, just a bit and it helped a lot.. But they also happened to be people I don't really trust. Sooo.. I'll just wait it out..
Anyway,

STOP YOUR ARGUING LADIES..
C'mon. You are all grown women here.. You all have your own views and opinions so you can just go by what you wish to go by and let others be. I will finish reading the other comments some other time....